How do you store your spiltter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep everything with a small engine under roof.Only thing outdoor wise that I own that will sit outside is the MF300 dozer. And I always store it in the alleyway between the barn and the crib in the winter months. Worse part about storing the dozer in the barn is..It is across a paved road from my house. So I either lay down lumber to cross. or do it when the ground is frozen.

You guys love your machinery too much. Most of my farm equipment has never been indoors a day in it's life, and works every time I hook to it.

My farm stuff is between 20-80 years old, and still gets the job done.

Ram retracted, Outside, under a tarp once in a while, unless I wont be using it for several days, then it goes on the quad and in the Barn, so I have something to cuss about the next day when I need to use the quad.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I custom cut a 55 gallon plastic drum in 1/2,they cover both splitter engines, retract the ram.
(A plastic drum will outlast any tarp by about 10 years easily and won't leach water after time)
Wipe axle grease on your I beam with a rag if your worried about a little rust on that new unit.
Both of my splitters get used at least 10 hours a week though so i guess they don't get stored.
Mark
P.S. I got my barrels from a local dairy farmer for $5 each they are used for TEAT dip.(cut them with a saws-all)

Last edited:
I've cussed for that same durn reason there Dinger.
Most of the year in the barn, over the winter when not using it under lean to w/ a tarp.

I ordinarily pull the splitter into my shop building, but its in the way there. I'm thinkin gravel floored, low roofed lean-to, added to the back of the building. My concern with outdoor storage is the vulnerability of the hydraulic lines. Possums and other critters eat the handles off wheelbarrows and such around here [salt], and the taste appeal of rubber and hydraulic fluid might prove irresistible.

When I had just a splitter it was either back in the woods and the engine covered when not in use or in the garage when at home.
Now that I have a trailered processor it's either back in the woods with the engine covered or next to the garage with the engine covered.

Pretty straight forward

As luck would have it we had and old ice chest around here that was missing its lid and the thing fit upside-down over the engine on our splitter like a glove.

I don't abuse my splitter and I don't worry about it too much either. I keep it chained to a tree because I want to keep it and I cover the engine to keep water out of it. I leave the tank full but I shut off the gas and let the engine run out every time I'm finished using it. The cylinder is retracted of course. I check the oil (both engine and hydraulic) nowand then; I'm pretty good about that.

Here's something I do that I learned to be a good habit years ago. I let my engine warm up and cool down. Seriously; when I first start it I let it run at about half throtle while I find a good stump to sit on and get my rounds line up and ready to grab. That gives the engine a couple of minutes to warm up with no strain on it. Then when the work is done I shut the throtle back down to about a fast idle (I typically run the thing about about 75% anyway) as I switch the fuel supply valve off. So the engine cools down with oil supply as it runs out of gas, once again with no load. Then after we've packed everything up and the splitter has cooled down I'll finish the day by refilling the tank. I don't put a tarp over it but I probably should when the snow piles up. If I do start using a tarp it will be tented over the splitter, not wrapped around it. I want water (and ice) to roll and slide off, I don't want to trap it by creating an envelope around the splitter.

I installed the canopy off of an old Allis Chalmers roto baler. It doesn't keep all of the elements off the old thing but it sure helps. This splitter was built in about 1985 and has never been under a roof. It has aged very well, no problems at all. Someday maybe it'll get a new coat of paint.

Last edited:
Built my splitter 20yrs ago. 2 coats of spray can Rustoleum black over red oxide primer.Nothing fancy,no real prep.Covered with tarp all these years and really still in nice shape.I may put the next one I make in a lean-to shed but I would not hesitate just tarping it again.And I never tarped the whole thing,just the engine/hydraulic area.

tarp for me. very heavy tarp cut from scraps off a semi-trailer tarp.
IMG_5573.jpg

thank GOD for my mother in law

I store mine in a covered garage at my mother in Law's house.

good deal!:givebeer:

Mine is a basement dweller. I have a two car garage in the basement and it lives there along with a 34 Ford, VW dune buggy, 66 Triumph Bonneville, and a 51 WD, These are some of my most precious things and they all seem to get along well.

Latest posts

Back