How do you think the wood heat "newbies" did this past season?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Was just thinking back to our conversations before the past heating season began, and was wondering how those "newbies" did heating with wood for the first time. Anyone have any stories to share, or do you see a lot of stoves for sale that were "used one season"? Wonder how many of them stuck with it and enjoyed it, and how many nearly burned the house down.

Well, I'm not exactly a newbie to heating with wood, but I do regret my ignorance in the purchase of a wood stove. I bought a Lopi Leyden - a very pretty stove, and if you were to believe what the manufacturers say about it, you'd buy one too. I don't like it much. It's pretty, and I like the top loading feature, but that's about it. There's very little control over the draft-- I had to put a damper on the stovepipe just to get some degree of control, even though they said not to. There are other things I don't like, but let's just say I made the mistake of believing all they said about it in their literature.

Also, I didn't have nearly enough wood, but that was due more to my sudden employment changes, and I didn't know if I'd be sticking around. Still, I was probably 3 cords short of what was needed. Fortunately I have a great neighbor who shares. I get his wood when I need it, he uses my truck when he needs it.

Was just thinking back to our conversations before the past heating season began, and was wondering how those "newbies" did heating with wood for the first time. Anyone have any stories to share, or do you see a lot of stoves for sale that were "used one season"? Wonder how many of them stuck with it and enjoyed it, and how many nearly burned the house down.

Not really much for newbies here. Most have used wood and or coal for years. Main problem I noticed was people running out of firewood. Winter seems longer each year. I finally quit burning wood this past Wednesday. Long winter makes good business for selling firewood though.:)

Well have been heating with wood for 12 years in the house and 14 in the shop,I think the newbies would have made out okay and saved some money because it was a long cold winter and it is not over yet!:mad:
But they might have run mighty low on wood because of the long winter.I know I did and thought I was prepared but needed to make a wood run a few weeks ago_Oh well it's a nice Saturday afternoon I think I will Split some more before the snow comes tonight for 2011.:cheers:

Well this was my 3rd year heating with wood. But I am a newbie to this site. I will have to say that I did learn alot from talking to people on this forum. But all in all I did good this winter I did not run out of wood & I have next winters wood almost done.

I'm not much of a noob to wood heating. Since I have been raised on it and used it for 24 years. Kept the house warm with dry madrone all winter long. Now we are stock piling back up. :givebeer:

I ran outta wood, but other than that it was awesome. Always warm and already have a new bigger stove on its way. Also got 2 new saws and a 25 ton splitter cuz burning was so much fun. Almost done with next years wood and probably some for the year after that too.!

EDIT to add. Burning wood really saved our asses and our house do to 11 days without power in december. House never froze!

Well I watched my neighbor run his new outdoor boiler all winter to the tune of 30 cords. All but 2 of which he had to buy. I think he spent more on wood than he would have on oil heat. But hey I got to listen to a 20 year old poulan every weekend all day long

Well I watched my neighbor run his new outdoor boiler all winter to the tune of 30 cords. All but 2 of which he had to buy. I think he spent more on wood than he would have on oil heat. But hey I got to listen to a 20 year old poulan every weekend all day long

At first I just saw 30 cords that thought holy :censored:.:jawdrop: Then I saw it was Alaska. Long winter and no hard woods.

I imagine the newbies found out that it takes a lot more dry wood to heat a house than they brought in last fall in order to get the job done.

I found that out the first year I tried to feed my hungry woodstove--nearly 35 years ago. After that, I always called my woodstoves by their appropriate name--Jaws. :chainsaw:

Newb

This was my first year burning in a stove in *my* home. Grew up with a wood stove in my parent's home.. and I can remember swinging an ax at a pretty young age!

Had a good experience this past year, I was just shy of having enough to get through the cold nights in April. Thankfully I had plenty to go get out of the back of my property to keep from buring too much propane this month.

I'm guessing I used close to 3 cords of wood this year. Could have probably used less, but about half of what I burned was less than ideal. I expect to have a better burning year this coming season, since I have been able to acquire at least a couple of cords of really nice oak.

Yeah I've been around a woodstove all my life. We normally burn 3-6 cords a year of hardwood. I actually had a good bit left over, on account of cleaning out all the standing deads in February. Did all my cutting for next year in Jan. and Feb. and have been carting it up through the woods to the house with the wheelbarrow. Stacked all summer, the wood 'll be good n seasoned come next winter.

:cheers:

not a newibie

thanks to my more than healthy obsession with fire wood I have five cord stacked waiting for next year, don't worry all get more

Not a newbie either...all good feeding the wood hog OWB. Not a penty spent on fuel oil and house never below 72, did run her up to 82 one day when it was 0 outside just to see if I could.
I'm guessing it must be global warming causing these long winters.

I suppose I'll call myself a newbie. I've heated my garage with wood for several years now but my house has only been on the OWB system for two. I did just fine but I'm glad it's over. Time to get on with other forms of entertainment. I'll get back to cutting around September. The idea of draggin out a saw when it's 80° just doesn't get it.

I did good!

This was the first year for me. I am OCD about research and I want to thank all of y’all for the helpful information I gleaned from this site:

1: I purchased a larger model OWB than what was recommended, great call guys
2: I ate the cost and used the EXPENSIVE underground piping for the unit, another great call.
3: I built a bigger woodshed than what I was going to and filled it to the brim so I have wood left over.:clap:
4: My wife loves me ( I did that one for myself):cheers:

Overall it has been great and I am taking off this week from work to get in some wood, why wait for fall to have some fun? :greenchainsaw:

year number 4 for us, but I'm still a newbie... no major problems, except foot versus 026.. that was enough...cut and split 10 cords, sold 6, have half of one left and it is 84 degrees out..gonna try for 20 this year...

Latest posts

Back