How does my modifed Husky 50 Stack up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retoocs555

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently had a 50 rancher modded, both piston and muffler work done by another site member who is local to me.

Basically I gave him a dirty box of parts, a saw that I hadn't even gotten to run. And what I got back was a sparkling clean, fast cutting machine. He explained to me in detail exactly what he did to the saw but I'm not much into the hotsaw stuff so I don't really know the exact specs of what he did. The compression is much higher and the muffler is more opened up.

The only other running 3 cube saw I had to cut it against was my Olympyk 950Super. A good saw I've always relied on and felt made a quick cut.

The tree I had out back to cut cookies with was a recently felled ash. On 6" diameter ash the olympyk completed the cut in +/- 9 sec and the 50 made the cut in +/-4 sec. Both used 7 pin rim, the same 16" windsor bar, and the same half used up handfiled oregon chain. I made each cut 5 or 6 times with each saw and got roughly the same time with each trial.

I know the wood isn't a standard size but how does a 4 sec cut through that 6" diameter ash stack up. It seemed fast to me, especially after running the olympyk.

I think I could lower cut times with some practice on my part, or a sharper chain LOL.

The timing was just one cut down through the log.

A true gain is to see where it was at before the mods, and then after. If it was +/- 9 seconds before, that was a substantial gain for a work saw.

I think I know who modded it, but i don't want to disclose his idenity. If it runs like mine does, then it is a very fast saw.

One thing to keep in mind is whether or not is can be used continuously, but if the guy did it that I think did, it should be a great work saw.

So yeah, like brandon said, send it out way for the GTG. We can compare it with some others of mild mods.

Latest posts

Back