How d'you dry out your climbing gear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At work we have a drying room so at working climbing gear gets dried in there. At home for side jobs I bring it in the house and lay it out in the living room around the fireplace over night.

nice yeah i was doing that until my kids started throwing the rope onto the wood burning stove lol. I hung a rope up on the rafters in the garage that i tie everything else to like my gear and wet ropes with a heater and a fan on it. that seems to be working.

By the dehumidifier (set to the lowest setting, 45pct), in the basement, flaked on an elevated dog pad (cooling elevated dog bed with metal frame).

There's a bag you can buy for your ropes. Just put it in the dryer. Without a bag ropes get pretty tangled.

Just aim a fan at wet gear; use a low speed. If it has more than 8 hours before the next use, it'll be nice and dry, presuming you aren't at 100% humidity.

Even the soggiest of boots is dry if you aim a fan into the ankles of some boots lying on their sides. The leather isn't hurt by any unnecessary heat, either.

I have rows of screws in the joists above and around the wood stove. Clothes, ropes, rigging gear, ratchet straps, fresh furs, towels etc. etc. all get dried on them.

Almost the same here.

I have multiple climbing and rigging ropes so they hang in an unheated garage and are replace by dry ropes. Rachet straps, too.

My saddle and boots go by the wood stove.

I also have a chain sharpening station that sits near the wood stove and a Peet Boot dryer.

I do not climb but I do end up with wet boots and clothing especially my hand wash wool items. I'll use my wife's foldup clothes drying rack under a celling fan, its large enough for a full set of clothing- socks/shirt/pants. Takes about 4 hours If I flip then after 2 hrs. For my leather boots I use a carpet drying fan, they are dry in about 30 minutes if done in the house about a hour outside. Sneakers or lace ups I tie the laces together from both into a bow with enough length left I can close them in the dryer with the laces in the door to hold them out of the drum... if that makes any sense.

In our shop we have a makeshift hoist for drying ropes and climbing gear.
It's a 12v winch that runs a cable through a pulley anchored to the ceiling. It's just a 2x6" piece of lumbar balanced on the end, with a few garden hose hangers screwed into it. I'll snap a photo of it when we get back to work

Back