How far have you driven to buy a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Sparking off of dgarrett's thread about his 044 Craigslist Find, I was wondering how far some of you have driven to buy a chainsaw? My two longest trips have been 100 miles each way through L.A. traffic on a motorcycle to buy a 026 (with case for $100!) and 175 miles both ways in a car to buy a Dolmar 143 (with 28" and 38" bars and chains). On both trips I was smiling all the way, roundtrip. Who has made the longest trip to buy a saw? Anybody have a good road trip story to go along with buying a chainsaw?

This should be fun.

Olyeller

Last edited:
I don't know if this fits in?
But I have asked on several occasions a AS member who I have never previously had contact with pick up saws or rolls of chains!
To those guys, THANKS A MILLION!!!!!!!!!!

The newest of them was a Craigslist find on the FAR OTHER SIDE of the country! The member drove over an hour to inspect and pick up!
And when he sent it, It even came with a BOW!!!!!
I love it. It is cool to see the help some will give! It is much appreciated!!!

As for road trips, I drove 2.5 hrs. one way to look at a HUGE Stihl chainsaw that was unlike the regular ones?(that's what the guy said on the phone!) What the heck, CAD is strong with me!?!?! I left work 10:30 pm. By the time I got there it was after 1 am! The guy was super cool. Talked chainsaws for over an hour. On the way home I got half way home and took a nap at a rest area. I was so tired I left my lights on. 30 minutes into a passed out power nap, I heard a TAP TAP an the windshield. It was a HIGHWAY state trooper. Got the usual "What are you doing, were are you coming from and going, can I see a license" After the all clear was given and I explained the situation of the picking up the chainsaw, he asked to see the saw! COOL, his partner and him never seen a saw so big!! LOL. He said go ahead with my nap. I decided to get home to my warm bed, any time I talk to a state troop, I seem to WAKE right up!!!! COPS love chainsaws too!!!!! Come to find out it was a 090G!!!!:clap:

Teddy that's a good one.

I drove over an hour 1 way to pick up an 066 for $250 that a friend found for me while I was at work. I left straight from work on that $50 excitement ride
smiling the whole way even chatting with the owner from time to time as I got
closer and he was giving me directions.

I pull up and here is a big old saw sitting in front of the garage that I just knew was supposed to be my 066 and my stomach turned. I wasn't sure what it was, but i knew it wasn't a 066. When I explain to the owner this isn't an 066 but perhaps a 056(tag was missing) He says "Really, well, hmm
sorry about that....the guy at the pawn shop where I bought it said it was an 066. Hmm...I still wan't $250 for it." I was not happy at all but the guy
was absolutely huge and what could I do.

Looking back, I should have at least gotten a cell phone pic. before I left but I guess I was just too excited not really worried what it looked like for that price. And it probably was still worth the $250 but I way disappointed and just wanted to get outta there.

I've never gone farther than a few miles out of town to local garage sales. Otherwise it's been trading with a dealer, buying off Ebay or other private sellers (on AS, for example) who ship the saw to me. I did drive 250 miles one way to pick up a box of 028 parts, but that was attached to a Christmas trip to see the rellies, so I can't really claim it.

Or can I? :D :D

Teddy, I agree, great story. Willis, you did the smart thing, I reckon.

Last edited:
I drove an hour and a half one way to get my 460. Got the guy that had it to meet me half way at a rest stop,what a nice guy he was.

I'm flying to OR on Saturday (from VA) to pick up a new 660 and an old Homelite. Does that count?

(It's also my Grandma's 90th, so I get bonus points....)

Last edited:
a hour + or - another 15 minutes.

i live way back in the country. we still got dial up! about everything is an hours drive anyways.

i would drive to little rock for one of those HD makita 6401'a but they never seem to have any to sell.

i thought about calling TSC--and seeing if they have any of those cheap 330 poulans left--

that would ba about a hour one way --:greenchainsaw:

From Denmark to Greenbay Wisconsin to pick up a Redmax G3200EZ

:greenchainsaw:

i once had to walk (yes WALK) from my house to my neighbors house to pick up my jonsered 630. only other time was the 15 minute drive to the husky dealer to pick up my 372. i MAY be driving 1.5 hours to pick up a 056 on sunday, waiting for a call back.

Wow is all I can say to the multi-hour trips. :)
My longest was only a little over an hour for the 970.

Kevin

Airline baggage or shipped?

For you guys who have flown to get a saw, how did you get it home? Pack it in your suitcase? Keep in packed new in the box and check it onto the plane? Carry-on in your toilet kit? Ship it home?

NEP, how did you handle duty charges?

Olyeller

I've driven an hour or so each way, any further it's cheaper to ship it.
For me to drive more than an hour or two it better be a smokin' deal or a reallt rare saw.

For you guys who have flown to get a saw, how did you get it home? Pack it in your suitcase? Keep in packed new in the box and check it onto the plane? Carry-on in your toilet kit? Ship it home?

NEP, how did you handle duty charges?

Olyeller

US Postal service, I mailed it to myself wile I was in Wisconsin. (UPS would charge more than the price of the saw).
I had used it wile I was there and the duty of used machines are lower so it was quite cheap.

I hate you all! Whenever a nice saw comes up for sale locally (which is very rare); some greedy bastidges paypals it out from under me. Seriously, how do you do it? Some of you must have dedicated servers, programmed to hunt down deals on saws in every local market throughout the world. Haven't really driven far for any saws, already in the area. One was purchased in front of the Stihl dealership, guy was going to give a saw to the dealer to trash. It is my 5-dollar saw. Works great. And you guys with the collections of 20+ saws; Remember your Arbroristsite Brethern who live in the rural, wild places. Give em a chance.

Well I only had to drive about 30 miles but it was right into the mess of Friday afternoon traffic out of Washington DC. I knowingly drove into a situation that was going to take an additional 2 hours to get home from the location..:angry2: Does that count??

Latest posts

Back