how hard a chainsaw must be pushed ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hello guys, just came home, from a day of chainsawing.
I have a Q for you: what sound should my saw make ?
like it runs at it`s own pace or like no tomorrow (meaning that the acceleration is at the max)

i cut wood all day long but I am a guy that hates the noise of maximum rotations therefore I pushed the throttle as I felt comfortable and the saw was able to cut normal I would say.

then a guy said to me that chainsaws are made to give it all to max speed and pushing it less I may torture the engine........

but pushing it to max makes a high pitch noise that I really hate.
what I did felt right and the saw seemed to like my style...

was I wrong ?

like it runs at it`s own pace or like no tomorrow (meaning that the acceleration is at the max)

i cut wood all day long but I am a guy that hates the noise of maximum rotations therefore I pushed the throttle as I felt comfortable and the saw was able to cut normal I would say.

then a guy said to me that chainsaws are made to give it all to max speed and pushing it less I may torture the engine........

was I wrong ?
If you are the neighbor to the Beast why dont he show you?

Um... always run a saw at WOT while in the wood.

If you are getting to many revs with the throttle pinned while in the wood... make sure to check the rakers on your chain. If they are set too high... they won't let the cutter bite the wood properly.

Or your carb is set waaaaayyyyy too lean.

Gary

was I wrong ?

The throttle should be regarded as an on/off switch - and if you have to put much pressure on the saw, the chain probably is dull, the rakers too high - or something else is wrong!

Are you wearing hearing protection while you cut?
The sound of my saw doesn't bother me a bit when it's running wide open.

no, I am wearing no ear protection.
the chain is ok, chips big and all.
pffff. what I am saying is that I don`t accelerate all the way. and it cuts ok. is it wrong ? if the saw has 13.000 rot/min and I use say like 8.000
something like that....

was I wrong ?
If the saws too loud, you're too old! Lol
A saw should be self feeding and pushed on to the point that you're not pulling the motor down.
Have you considered buying a power band?
John

what I am saying is that I don`t accelerate all the way. and it cuts ok. is it wrong ? if the saw has 13.000 rot/min and I use say like 8.000
something like that....

I can do that all day with my 1001 100cc and a smaller bar. Just runs about 1/2 t and the job gets done...Bob

If the saws too loud, you're too old! Lol
A saw should be self feeding and pushed on to the point that you're not pulling the motor down.
Have you considered buying a power band?
John

what`s a power band ?

ok. must be my english
again. I have the wood. start the saw. cut the wood. the saw goes smooth, big chips, no sweat, lots of fun.

but I don`t use all rpm. mostly coz I hate the noise and I also think it is useless.

do I make sense?

what`s a power band ?

ok. must be my english
again. I have the wood. start the saw. cut the wood. the saw goes smooth, big chips, no sweat, lots of fun.

but I don`t use all rpm. mostly coz I hate the noise and I also think it is useless.

do I make sense?

You're making sense, but a saw should be run full throttle, unless feathering a cut. I'd be getting some good hearing protection. The noise is very fatiguing without them.
Both Thall and Fish sell power bands, it's a simple bolt on electrical device that retards and accelerates rpm when the saw is in or out of the wood, it advances or retards timing when required and reduces alot of the high pitched noise I find.
John

Get some ear plugs. Chainsaws are made to run wide open. Cars are not. Chainsaws make there peak power with the throttle squeezed all the way.

You're making sense, but a saw should be run full throttle, unless feathering a cut. I'd be getting some good hearing protection. The noise is very fatiguing without them.
Both Thall and Fish sell power bands, it's a simple bolt on electrical device that retards and accelerates rpm when the saw is in or out of the wood, it advances or retards timing when required and reduces alot of the high pitched noise I find.
John

pfffff. man, I have an 80$ saw.
lol
what I wanted to know is if I harm the saw not using it full throttle.
It doesn`t bother me when I cut at rpm of my choice and the wood gets cut as I want.

all I want to know is whether it is harmful to the saw.

Thanks

pfffff. man, I have an 80$ saw.
lol
what I wanted to know is if I harm the saw not using it full throttle.
It doesn`t bother me when I cut at rpm of my choice and the wood gets cut as I want.

all I want to know is whether it is harmful to the saw.

Thanks
A steady diet of low throttle will eventually carbon up your saw unless you mix at 100:1.
You could also try modifying you muffler, it makes a much more comfortable sound.
Does your saw have a henway?
John

I find it flat out hilarious that you worry more about an 80 dollar saw than your hearing.

it would be hilarious. except my hearing is fine. for I use half throttle.

but would it hurt my saw?

see my problem ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back