how hard a chainsaw must be pushed ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What make and model is your saw? I'm just curious because you say it's so loud.:chainsawguy:

it would be hilarious. except my hearing is fine. for I use half throttle.

but would it hurt my saw?

see my problem ?

Your hearing is fine...for now. It is not so much how loud the noise is but how long it goes on. Steady sustained noise is bad on the ears. I got smart too late and have lost all the high end range. I won't run even a lawnmower now without my earmuffs. Once your hearing is gone, it is gone for good.

Harry K

Saws are designed to be run at WOT. Unless cutting twigs, you should be pulling the throttle all the way, and then pushing the saw a little in the cut. A good and sharp chain will need very little push though.

http://sunflytools.en.made-in-china...C-Petrol-Chain-Saw-Gas-Chain-Saw-M-CS52-.html

that`s my saw.
today I got so many chips in my eyes and I had my protection 5 feet away but didn`t used it.
don`t ask why

and guys, you are great; but one question :

is it bat for chainsaw not to run it full throttle ?

and even with plugs the high pitch noise will bother me; not as much as the intensity but the fact that I could use less throttle just as effective (I think, unless it hurts the saw)

somehow I like to run my saw like it is cool, like it is doing work effortless....ya know ?

Saws are designed to be run at WOT. Unless cutting twigs, you should be pulling the throttle all the way, and then pushing the saw a little in the cut. A good and sharp chain will need very little push though.

I was half throttle and not pushing at all; the saw`s weight was doing the pushing down. however there were 10 inch trees. just few bigger but the same technique.

pfffff. man, I have an 80$ saw.
lol
what I wanted to know is if I harm the saw not using it full throttle.
It doesn`t bother me when I cut at rpm of my choice and the wood gets cut as I want.

all I want to know is whether it is harmful to the saw.

Thanks

I take it that at WOT you're running at/near max unloaded rpm.
Somewhere below that is peak-power rpm; lower yet is peak-torque rpm.
You'd like to be between peak-power and peak-torque.
If your chain cutting in a particular piece of wood won't do that at WOT, you're well advised to back off. Pros do that. With pro-quality saws.

If this is happening with all varieties of wood you cut, a good option would be to lower the depth gauges a few thousandths of an inch. If you have a skip-tooth chain, you might want a chain with a full complement of teeth.

No matter what/how you're cutting, do keep eyes/ears open for any indication of overheating. (Spark plug insulator color is good indicator, if in doubt.)

first, I can`t believe I said bat.
second the sound of my saw at full throttle is... just wrong.
however being my first and only saw, I can`t say the difference.
:bang:
to me is ok to use it just like I did.
the chain is normal, all teeths, 40 cm bar, .325 etc
just wanted to know if it is healthy for the saw.
thanks.

http://sunflytools.en.made-in-china...C-Petrol-Chain-Saw-Gas-Chain-Saw-M-CS52-.html

that`s my saw.
today I got so many chips in my eyes and I had my protection 5 feet away but didn`t used it.
don`t ask why

and guys, you are great; but one question :

is it bat for chainsaw not to run it full throttle ?

and even with plugs the high pitch noise will bother me; not as much as the intensity but the fact that I could use less throttle just as effective (I think, unless it hurts the saw)

somehow I like to run my saw like it is cool, like it is doing work effortless....ya know ?

It would probably hurt my ears to listen to that P.O.S. too.:laugh:

NOT healthy for the saw......Not,Not,not....

no ear protection is NOT healthy for YOU either.
not earplugs,use earMUFFS if you can,,then you wont hear the saw and no problem.

Hmmmm...I probably wouldn't run that thing at full throttle either. When it grenades you can start a thread about what kind of real saw to buy. And we'll tell you. And you'll argue with us. And everybody will get all haired off.
Except you probably won't listen to us any better than you do now and you'll just run off and do whatever you want to anyway. And then come around with a sorrowful look asking for help. Kinda like my black lab.

And you have 120 some posts. What else you been writin about ?...Bob

Click on his name and see his other post's.
seems ok to me..
even apolagized for his chinese saw and really wants a stihl..

give him a break guys...

Hmmmm...I probably wouldn't run that thing at full throttle either. When it grenades you can start a thread about what kind of real saw to buy. And we'll tell you. And you'll argue with us. And everybody will get all haired off.
Except you probably won't listen to us any better than you do now and you'll just run off and do whatever you want to anyway. And then come around with a sorrowful look asking for help. Kinda like my black lab.

Excellent post Bob... :)

Gary

Click on his name and see his other post's.
seems ok to me..
even apolagized for his chinese saw and really wants a stihl..

give him a break guys...

Yep. The guy lives in Romania next to Dracula for goodness sake. He is gonna need a lot of wood to stay safe out there. Go easy on the guy. On another note...I do see the MS361 available on the Romanian STIHL site:

http://www.stihl.ro/isapi/default.asp?contenturl=/katalog/produktgruppe/130/Motofer%C4%83straie+cu+motor+pe+benzin%C4%83+pentru+industria+lemnului.html

Another thing you guys need to understand is that STIHL saws are relatively cheap in the states. Well, most saws are. In some other countries the things cost half again or more. A chinese saw for light work starts to look better then(well, to a non CAD'er).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back