how hard a chainsaw must be pushed ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm...I probably wouldn't run that thing at full throttle either. When it grenades you can start a thread about what kind of real saw to buy. And we'll tell you. And you'll argue with us. And everybody will get all haired off.
Except you probably won't listen to us any better than you do now and you'll just run off and do whatever you want to anyway. And then come around with a sorrowful look asking for help. Kinda like my black lab.

:ices_rofl::ices_rofl::ices_rofl::ices_rofl::laugh::biggrinbounce2:

"thank you guys, a lot of help. i would never have associated the size of the cips with sharpening time...
I am also verry green, I only cut old trees so I can put new ones. I have in plan to build myself a Juglans regia (nut tree) forest along with quercus, fagus, acer, fraxinus, aesculus hippocastanum, coryllus avellana but also some fruit tree.
from time to time, every 2-3 years, I will also buy 10-12 m3 of firewood and it also needs to be cut fireplace bite size.
overall, the cost with cutting is 5 % the price of a new MS 441 chainsaw alone;
I also plan to rebuild the cottage and a saw will come in handy.
there are my reasons but I must say it feels damn good to harvest the saw`s power and use it to your own convenience...
boy am I glad I have found this forum....

saw wise... my top choice for now is MS 441
what I have....I am ashamed....but it is working and if I break it...oh well, at least it`s not my new 441

http://sunflytools.en.made-in-china....w-M-CS52-.html"

Thats a quote from one of his first post's.
now lets bash him for his accent...

"

saw wise... my top choice for now is MS 441
what I have....I am ashamed....but it is working and if I break it...oh well, at least it`s not my new 441

Thats a quote from one of his first post's.
now lets bash him for his accent...

Why? We don't bash you for your's.

Last edited:
Do y'all know something about the guy I ain't privvy to?

As far as I know he's new here, dealing with a foreign language and sarcasm, saddled with a #### chineese saw from bieng on a students budget, and as green as they come in the woods.

He's been posting and asking logical newbie questions all along, and taking advice as well as translation allows.

Hell. The guy has to fight a deadman switch on that #### saw of his, and didn't realize it wasn't normal...

Cut him a Huss and get to know him a bit before busting his chops LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

As far as I know he's new here, dealing with a foreign language and sarcasm, saddled with a #### chineese saw from bieng on a students budget, and as green as they come in the woods.

He's been posting and asking logical newbie questions all along, and taking advice as well as translation allows.

Hell. The guy has to fight a deadman switch on that #### saw of his, and didn't realize it wasn't normal...

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Okay, Mom...we'll all be good from now on. :laugh:

Okay, Mom...we'll all be good from now on. :laugh:

LOL!!
y'all show your fetchin' up, or I'll have Yooper come in here with all them Snackey pictures of Rosie O'donnell in her thong....:biggrinbounce2:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Get some ear plugs. Chainsaws are made to run wide open. Cars are not.

crazy talk!! My car lives to run wide open. But I get what you're saying. I agree on the earplugs too, even if your hearing isn't the best protect what you have left!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
If he can't make it passed the hazing, I guess he's got no business using a saw. Lol
John

Everyone has to start somewhere......

Btw run your saw full throttle who cares what it sounds like, chainsaws aren't quiet......

hello guys, just came home, from a day of chainsawing.
I have a Q for you: what sound should my saw make ?
like it runs at it`s own pace or like no tomorrow (meaning that the acceleration is at the max)

i cut wood all day long but I am a guy that hates the noise of maximum rotations therefore I pushed the throttle as I felt comfortable and the saw was able to cut normal I would say.

then a guy said to me that chainsaws are made to give it all to max speed and pushing it less I may torture the engine........

but pushing it to max makes a high pitch noise that I really hate.
what I did felt right and the saw seemed to like my style...

was I wrong ?

416SZ7eOGFL._SS500_.jpg

don`t worry about my feelings guys; I don`t care about bashing.
not that sensitive;

however I choose to see the full half of the glass:

If not for the crappy saw, with a bad switch that I hold together with a rubber band (drop dead hilarious); the break is just for show....well I would probably never got into saws.

I think it is just good judgment to learn on lesser saw instead of breaking a new, good one due to being a newbie.

other than that, it is nice to learn things and most of all to practice them in the open;
it is true that I was aiming higher, MS440 or so, but yesterday, the geisha made me realize I have muscles I didn`t know I have, so I`m thinking of an lighter saw;

not sure yet, 346 XP or MS 260
but that`s probably in the spring.
however the saw has some screws attached and I used them to tune it a little bit. by the sound it makes, I am ok with it.

You will learn intime....

don`t worry about my feelings guys; I don`t care about bashing.
not that sensitive;

however I choose to see the full half of the glass:

If not for the crappy saw, with a bad switch that I hold together with a rubber band (drop dead hilarious); the break is just for show....well I would probably never got into saws.

I think it is just good judgment to learn on lesser saw instead of breaking a new, good one due to being a newbie.

other than that, it is nice to learn things and most of all to practice them in the open;
it is true that I was aiming higher, MS440 or so, but yesterday, the geisha made me realize I have muscles I didn`t know I have, so I`m thinking of an lighter saw;

not sure yet, 346 XP or MS 260
but that`s probably in the spring.
however the saw has some screws attached and I used them to tune it a little bit. by the sound it makes, I am ok with it.

When you have to start pushin on a saw to cut,,it's a chain issue. She's starting to get dull....You'll get the feel for a saw the more you use it...

I take it that at WOT you're running at/near max unloaded rpm.
Somewhere below that is peak-power rpm; lower yet is peak-torque rpm.
You'd like to be between peak-power and peak-torque.
If your chain cutting in a particular piece of wood won't do that at WOT, you're well advised to back off. Pros do that. With pro-quality saws.
If this is happening with all varieties of wood you cut, a good option would be to lower the depth gauges a few thousandths of an inch. If you have a skip-tooth chain, you might want a chain with a full complement of teeth.

No matter what/how you're cutting, do keep eyes/ears open for any indication of overheating. (Spark plug insulator color is good indicator, if in doubt.)

Call me crazy, but I think you've been misinformed on Chainsaws.

Sounds like you're describing the powerband of a Toyota, not a chainsaw. :laugh:

Chainsaw is made to run at WOT. All the time unless you are idling. Feathering the throttle will not allow the saw to get proper lube, causing excess heat and even seizing. Chainsaw has two jets, idle and WOT. That means run it at two speeds. Idle and WOT. ;)

so the guy was right. I must rut it full speed.
I`ll try; even if it sounds like it has a heart attack.
thanks

Call me crazy, but I think you've been misinformed on Chainsaws.

Sounds like you're describing the powerband of a Toyota, not a chainsaw. :laugh:

Chainsaw is made to run at WOT. All the time unless you are idling. Feathering the throttle will not allow the saw to get proper lube, causing excess heat and even seizing. Chainsaw has two jets, idle and WOT. That means run it at two speeds. Idle and WOT. ;)

Anthony has a very good point that I have not heard yet, that a chainsaw has two jets in the carb L (low) and H (high). Now if a saw had a mid range jet then this whole thread would be a different story.:clap::cheers:

so the guy was right. I must rut it full speed.
I`ll try; even if it sounds like it has a heart attack.
thanks

I dont know what your interpretation of "big chips" are, but if your saw sounds that high strung, you might need to do some filing. . .
I have never met a saw that I could not get to load up and find the torque with a good chain. I have seen people running their saws 5 rpms from max because of very dull chains. . . . .

when I said in the title "how hard to push" I was maybe misleading; I wasn`t meant at all how hard from the point of pushing into the wood. I meant how far rotation wise to push it.
I have a husqvarna 16" bar .325 oregon brand new chain.
the oil works, the bar lubricated, the bar top greased.
when I cut, I don`t have to push down at all. I let the weight of the chainsaw do the work.
the wood gets cut and I hear a nice sound that the saw makes.
however there is more room for throttle, that I think it is not necessary but some argue that.

now if it is true, I can cut at full throttle; it was never the issue of sound from my comfort point of view, for I can use plugs. it was a question of sound from the chainsaw point of view meaning that the sound seemed to me unnatural and associated with the imminent death of my already crappy saw. I don`t know how confusing what I`m saying is, due to my faulty english.

Back