How important is taper in a roof shingle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah-ha! The voice of reason rings through the dark night at last. Lol

Driving around my area you can clearly see you are indeed correct, but I didn't want to shut down any responses just yet. I've contacted the CSSB and am waiting for a response. And have already talked to my city building code/permit office and the local fire marshal on the subject. Both said it is in no way required or terribly common to treat cedar roofing or siding with anything but your usual water-based stain.

Keep in mind ya'll I'm in everett washington, 2 miles from the ocean, very damp, in a city with roughly .5 acres lots and no trees within 30 feet of my house. Fire on my roof is very low on my list of worries.

Can't give you any shingle advice other than don't worry about mohick. He's a serial cheerios-pisser. Not as bad as some others around here, though.

I spent a year in Everett - down on 75th Street off of Evergreen. Worked at Nord Door on the north side of town. Building is still there, but the company is not.
Didn't like the 9 months of drizzle! Ugh! Summers were beautiful, though.

Wood shingles of any kind are much more flammable than any other common roofing material. A cigarette lighter and a sample of the materials will very quickly demonstrate the difference. We've all probably set fireworks off in the middle of an asphalt street, but I doubt you've ever seen the street catch on fire. Nobody in their right mind would set off fireworks on their wood shake roof. I've only seen that once in my life, by a bunch of loadies who rented an old farmhouse to party in. They managed to burn it to the ground, along with a delapidated old barn, in the course of an hour or so. They promptly moved out of state.

Some areas have ordinances controlling their use almost entirely based on this very problem. Although you can catch asphalt shingles on fire if say, a bottle rocket lands on them early in its flight and continues to burn long enough, but it's rare and the fires are easily put out. It take very high temperatures to keep the shingles burning (look at the temperatures required to melt asphalt in a "hot tar" kettle). This isn't true of wood shingles if they are dry or allowed to rot.

They make a beautiful roof, but some common sense and reasonable maintanence are needed. Trying them out on a shed is, indeed, an excellent idea. I personally wouldn't use them on any building that's heated with a wood burning stove, but I think that's not unreasonable if care is taken to minimize any chance of sparks leaving the chimney and landing on the roof while they're still lit up. I just don't think I could sleep well at night, myself, worrying about losing all those chainsaws I left sitting out on the dining table.

I just don't think I could sleep well at night, myself, worrying about losing all those chainsaws I left sitting out on the dining table.
If you look like your avatar picture and I stayed at your place... I just don't think I could sleep well at night, myself, worrying about all those chainsaws you left sitting out on the dining table!

Well I just might have been convinced not to use a shingle roof. Not by any of you old facts mind you

I hadn't really taken a close look at the roof pitch. It's a 12-12, or damn near. There is no way I'm going up there to roof it!! So I'll save the cedar for siding and will likely opt for a green steel roof like you see on cabins and farm houses. HOWEVER cedar shingles would look very nice on my shop which needs a new roof and is a mild 4 or 5-12 pitch. We will see! Thanks for the input fellas. Definitely helped me think through the issue.

I'm about 100 mi north and get a way more rain. I have asphalt shingles on my 12:12 roof. 35 yr guarantee. Contractor re and re the roof in 2 days (which included a lot of other ugly challenges - long horizontal blind valleys and the such)

Latest posts

Back