How local is local?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

precaud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The new saw bug is nibbling at me. My 011AVT, which has been rock-solid for nearly 20 years (I felled and cut 5 cords with it this year) needs a new sprocket (which means chains too). So I'm tempting myself with the possiblilty of a new saw. With the muffler opened up, the 2.5 in. 011 has plenty of power for the trees around here, none of which are hardwood, sorry to say. But it seems to make sense to go up one step in saw performance.

I completely agree with the suggestion to support a local dealer. Parts and service when you need it is important. The only dealer in town sells Stihl. They've been great over the years. The MS260 would probably be my choice from the Stihl lineup. But as some have said, it's getting long in the tooth.

The saw that most impresses me is the Dolmar 5100S. The kicker is - the dealer is 60 miles away.

So, the question is: is that local enough for what one needs a dealer for? It seems borderline to me. Input would be appreciated, especially from dealers and others who have faced this dilemna.

Last edited:
I'd say that it is "local" only if you routinely go that way anyway. And I would get the 011 fixed up to use as a backup in case you ever have to leave your new saw at your 60miles-local dealer for service. But then again, I'd fix the 011 up regardless - it never hurts to have a backup saw!

precaud said:
The new saw bug is nibbling at me. My 011AVT, which has been rock-solid for nearly 20 years (I felled and cut 5 cords with it this year) needs a new sprocket (which means chains too). So I'm tempting myself with the possiblilty of a new saw. With the muffler opened up, the 2.5 in. 011 has plenty of power for the trees around here, none of which are hardwood, sorry to say. But it seems to make sense to go up one step in saw performance.

I completely agree with the suggestion to support a local dealer. Parts and service when you need it is important. The only dealer in town sells Stihl. They've been great over the years. The MS260 would probably be my choice from the Stihl lineup. But as some have said, it's getting long in the tooth.

The saw that most impresses me is the Dolmar 5100S. The kicker is - the dealer is 60 miles away.

So, the question is: is that local enough for what one needs a dealer for? It seems borderline to me. Input would be appreciated, especially from dealers.
There is nothing wrong with the 260. Still one of the hottest selling saws that Stihl has besides the 361. I'm sure it will be updated one day but I still use mine and would not think of changing.
Good luck with your decision and get the other saw fixed as a backup.

precaud said:

So, the question is: is that local enough for what one needs a dealer for? It seems borderline to me. Input would be appreciated, especially from dealers.

I'll reply just because my dolmar dealer is also an hour away from me.

I have many saws that I can use should I have a problem. My dealer is great and carries just about everything in stock to rebuild the 5100 and 7900. That would be one thing I would ask up front of your dealer. Does he stock parts? if he doesn't, as much as I praise the 5100, I might look elsewhere.

I haven't needed the dealer because of anything that happened to the saw. The saw cuts great and has had no problems, but I also take care of the maintence on my saws. Growing up, we didn't have a local husky dealer that was close, so I learned to take care of my own stuff.

If I was a logger and depended on my saw daily for 12 hours a day, then 60 miles might be extreme. I would probably look closer.

If you haven't ran a 5100, then you are in for a surprise. It has about 3 times the power of your current saw. The 5100 is a great all around saw, but there are people on here that are going to recommend you are larger 80cc+ saw.

I say buy what you like and it comfortable in your hands.

All good advice. If the Dolmar is 60 miles away in a direction you never travel, then get the Stihl. If he is somewhere you pass by frequently or get close, then get the Dolmar, but only if he is a real, line supporting dealer, as Freak mentioned. If not, buy the Stihl. But, get the Stihl fixed up, a backup saw can be a real lifesaver, and buy chains or something from your local Stihl dealer.

These guys are all right...except Freak for telling you we want you to have a big saw. A 50-60cc saw is the one everybody HAS to own if you do any work at all. I've thought that way for over 25 years, and still do.

Mark

I figure if I have to drive an hour or more to get somewhere, then I don't consider it "local". I'd just go for another Stihl and be done with it. Not that I have anything against Dolmar, my grandad bought a new Sachs-Dolmar about 20 years ago (we had a dealer less than 10 miles away) and it seemed to be a pretty decent saw. But since that dealer is long gone, and Dolmar doesn't want my business since I'd have mail-order it, I probably won't ever have one myself. Basically my choices here are Stihl, Husky (from the local Rural King), and Echo. If I want to drive about 40 miles I can get to a Tanaka dealer. I won't even consider anything like Crapsman/Pull-on junk.

fishhuntcutwood "Don't fear the 260. It's long in the tooth because it's good enough to keep it in the line-up."

Very true, the 026 is a very good saw, Yes the air filter gets dirty
faster than some of the new saws, Every time I fuel it up, If in dusty
wood I lightly brush it off. Some people say It won't pull 3/8 .063 chain
with the 16" BC it pulls it very well, not like my MS361 or MS460
but it's not the same class of saw either plus it's 2 and 4 pounds
lighter. And I'M talking about in hardwood.

Gary

I think the "long in the tooth" thing refers to a fear that Stihl may soon discontinue it and shortly thereafter stop with parts.

I doubt if that would be a concern of mine...Stihl has sold a ton of the 026/260 saws over the years, so parts usage will remain high for a long time. If you've ever needed Stihl parts you know they probably aren't selling at a loss, and only meeting legal obligations. Stihl dealers usually will tell you they have no problem with parts even on stuff from 25 or 30 years ago.

eyolf said:
I think the "long in the tooth" thing refers to a fear that Stihl may soon discontinue it and shortly thereafter stop with parts.

I did't take it that way, As long as the 026/MS260 are good sellers
I don't think they will change it, but thats just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back