How long did your last chainsaw chain last

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long did your last chainsaw chain last

• 3 days

• 1 week

• 1 month

• 3 months

• 6 months

• 1 year

Results are only viewable after voting.
Too many variables. Would all depend on how much you cut and how frequently you're sharpening, then are you bench grinding or hand filing..I cut very little, comparatively speaking, so some of my chains are 3 or 4 years. I give them a touch up after each use.

Too many variables. Would all depend on how much you cut and how frequently you're sharpening, then are you bench grinding or hand filing..I cut very little, comparatively speaking, so some of my chains are 3 or 4 years. I give them a touch up after each use.
Include the specific variables in your report. My months and months reply is with a small climbing saw that don't really see dirt.

Include the specific variables in your report. My months and months reply is with a small climbing saw that don't really see dirt.
Heck if I keep up with the muddy junk stuff I've got on the pile to deal with, the current chain on the 400 won't last more then a month. Touching it up twice a tank.... should just buy a carbide to keep around for dirty wood.

Heck if I keep up with the muddy junk stuff I've got on the pile to deal with, the current chain on the 400 won't last more then a month. Touching it up twice a tank.... should just buy a carbide to keep around for dirty wood.
Carbide, I tried it once and I coulnt sharpen it so it really didnt make sense to buy another one because it really didn't last me that long. Regular chain can keep being sharpened until metal or rock death.

This reminds me of a joke.

This one insane asylum has a tall wooden wooden fence around the exercise yard. which no one can see in or out of.
Inside the fence, the residents can be heard yelling out a number TWELVE and then laughing their heads off.

A passerby hears this and gets curious enough to peer inside a small hole in the fence.
Just then a finger pokes him in the eye. Suddenly ya hear "THIRTEEN!" HAHAHAHAHAHA

I couldn’t tell ya, I have plenty of loops of chain, just swap out as needed when cutting, and sharpen later.

The chains pretty much look the same for each saw, and no way to identify an individual chain, so I couldn’t even guess how old each chain is, nor do I just use just one chain until it’s dead

How many licks👅, does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?🤔😉(I think that I just dated myself 😁)

Doug 😎

Carbide, I tried it once and I coulnt sharpen it so it really didnt make sense to buy another one because it really didn't last me that long. Regular chain can keep being sharpened until metal or rock death.
Just needs a diamond file to sharpen. I have contemplated it a few times, just couldn't justify the cost in the past. Think I could buy 4 or 5 20" or 3 or 4 24" chains for the cost of 1 20" carbide loop. The 24" loop I have on the 400 now is about 1/2 used up. Got some real dirty logs here to deal with. Tried hosing them off, but it in the bark pretty good. It was free so I'm not really complaining. Just had to haul it home.

Latest posts

Back