How long do you let a saw sit/store til draining fluids?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reyn

ArboristSite Operative
Some have numerous saws so I'm curious how long you will let one sit before draining fluids? Or do you drain yours at all? If it might not see use for several months.

CJ1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I don't drain them, if they sit too long they get sold!! My 390 will sit for 4-6 months and not get used BUT I don't use gas with ethanol in it and always use synthetic mix oil. If you are useing the 10% ethanol crap you better not let it sit for more than a few weeks. CJ

Last edited:
Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
I put a tag on my fuel can and mark the date I purchased the gas (not the day I mixed it). If it gets to 30 days, I pour it into my car's gas tank. Same 30 day limit with the saws.

Might be different for guys that use their saws every day or every week. My use is intermittent. If I do not plan on using it for a while, I will clean the saw, drain the fuel tank, and run it dry the next day or so. I don't drain the bar oil (although, some of my saws do that by themselves!).

Philbert

mikefunaro

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
I never drain bar and chain oil unless the saw is a leaker...

I try to make a realistic judgement about next use. If it's really likely to be less than a month, or maybe even 1-2 months, leave it

Intermediate months to a year I dump the gas and fill the tank partway up with trufuel or 50 fuel and then run it a bit with that.

Long, long term I idle out.

DSS

Cowshot
If its not going to be used for a month or more it gets drained. Most of my saws are old and some are harder to get parts for , so I don't want to risk a piston.

Andyshine77
After you've repair other peoples equipment, you will quickly learn one thing. Never store a saw or any other OPE with fuel in it, I don't care what type of fuel you use. Fact. Fuel is a solvent, weather or not it contains ethanol. Because of this, fuel slowly eats away at anything made out of polymers. Today's PUMP fuel also contains additive that can separate and build layers of film, that can block off screens, filters and can clog jets. All of these issues I have dealt with first hand.

Last edited:
1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.
After you've repair other peoples equipment, you will quickly learn one thing. Never store a saw or any other OPE with fuel in it, I don't care what type of fuel you use. Fact. Fuel is a solvent, weather or not it contains ethanol. Because of this, fuel slowly eats away at anything made out of polymers. Today's PUMP fuel also contains additive that can separate and build layers of film, that can off screens, filters and can clog jets. All of these issues I have dealt with first hand.

Here, here............:msp_thumbsup:

Mac 6-10

Mac 6-10

Steve on O. P. E.
I drain and run them out of fuel if it sits more than 2 months or so. I use Husky oil and startron stabilizer. never has a problem thus far. :msp_thumbup:

deepsouth

deepsouth

ArboristSite Guru
I do if it's going to be more than 3 months, i also run non ethanol fuel (95 Ron premium) along with husky oil and a fuel stabilizer at 24 month storage level.

No issues with that fuel straight in my 4 strokes over about 6-9 months as I usually buy 20l for the mower, pressure washer, brushcutter, blower (all Honda 4 stroke) or mixed for saws or husky combi-tool.

ttyR2

ttyR2

ArboristSite Guru
I drain (fuel) after each use unless I know I'm using it the next day. Only takes a minute. Then I give the saw a good going over with an air gun. Again, only takes a minute and sure keeps 'em looking purty.

Sagetown

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL
I don't drain them, if they sit too long they get sold!! My 390 will sit for 4-6 months and not get used BUT I don't use gas with ethanol in it and always use synthetic mix oil. If you are useing the 10% ethanol crap you better not let it sit for more than a few weeks. CJ
I'm with CJ1 on this. Even before synthetic oil mix came out, I never drained any of my motor driven equipment, even my car or truck except for oil changes.
However; when I unintentionally switched to ethanol gasoline, I began having problems, and changed places of business that sells non-ethanol gasoline. No more problems.

In time you will. I'm speaking form 20 years of experience, not a few months.
I've only had 50 years experience, and I'm less particular now than I used to be. Old age must be setting in.:hmm3grin2orange: