How long does Safety Chain stay sharp??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SectorB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I have access to a large Maple roughly 24". I cut 5 rounds approximately 18". On the last round the chain seemed like it didn't want to cut. I was able to finish it with the 180. The chain is .325 stihl safety chain for a 20" bar. The question is how long is chain supposed to last before sharpening?

Here is a pic of the tree

SSPX0013.jpg

Depends on MANY variables (wood, chain speed, dirt, who sharpened it the last time, etc.) I have found maple to be hard on chains if it is hollow. Seems like the rotten stuff in there is worse than cutting in the dirt.

Mike

RMS,

The rotten end was cut first, that is probably what did it. The chain was brand new when I started, so I guess I'll get it sharpened.

Get a file and guide and learn how to sharpen yourself! A safety chain shouldn't dull any more quickly than a non-safety chain, but won't cut as aggressively due to raker design.

Some wood is WAY more abrasive than others, and I'm speaking of clean, green wood. I've cut some black locust and chestnut oak that ate chains up in less than 10 cuts of less than 16" wood.:censored:

My brother got his MS361 last fall and has cut a little over four cord with the green 16 inch b/c and its just getting to the point where it needs to be sharpened.All the wood was Minnesota red oak half was dead for a couple years and half was dead a year.:chainsaw:

And then some of us have had to stop and file before even the first cut goes through, because we slipped in the snow and the chain hit the pavement. It all depends....I don't know about safety chain either.

Last edited:
I can easily cut with mine through a tank and a half. Stuff I bury my bar in. I think it has to do if the chain is sharpened properly. I use my 025 all the time.

How long is a piece of string?

Or.... more applicable to AS

How much wood can wood chuck cut?

Some of mine will last all day; others, well.... seconds...

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :sucks:

. . . A safety chain shouldn't dull any more quickly than a non-safety chain, . . .

+1

I hope the original question related to chain in general, and the emphasis on 'safety chain' was not intended.

There are different quality levels between chain manufacturers, and between some models of chains by some manufacturers. But generally, the quality of the cutters on STIHL chains of the same size should be the same, regardless of whether it is low-kickback or standard chain, and should stay sharp for roughly the same length of time in the same usage.

(low kickback chain gets blamed for everything from global warming to the Wall Street bailout on this forum).

Things like dirt in the bark can dull any kind of chain quickly.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back