how many climbers wear a chest harness or top croll? ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm reading you right, then you may have the wrong idea. From what I understand, you climb on a traditional system with a hitch? Chest harnesses are pretty much used for SRT style climbing. They don't actually carry any weight, but they give you an attachment point for an ascender so that as you stand up the ascender self advances. Lots of guys just use a bit of webbing or similar for this purpose. Jump on youtube and take a look at a few SRT styles, search 'rope walker, texas rope walker, frog SRT, frog walker, and RADS'. Should give you a few ideas.

If you're on a traditional hitch style climber then your best bet is some kind of hitch tender on your curent hitch, and a foot ascender to make life easy when you can't spike.

Shaun

OK. . This is why it would be good for me t go to a school or seminar. . But you gu
July2012Trees049.jpg
ys really help and I appreciate it. A pic is worth 1k words so.
July2012Trees014.jpg
.taking down a Sitka Spruce.
July2012Trees017.jpg
..I did double up on my flip lines on Wednesday
IMG_20120801_090624.jpg
.here's some more. .
July2012Trees039.jpg

I have even more confusion after posting the pics of the spruce removal.

A harness/chest-strap/Croll or any other setup using a "chest ascender" really only makes sense (to me) with a SRT ascent. If you are wondering if it would help alleviate some ab-strain during removals I think you'll be disappointed. I'm not even sure how you'd rig it up to be of use anytime you're wearing spikes..and my guess it that it would kill your lower back if you used it as basically a really high bridge on your harness.

In reality, even on SRT ascents it lets you lean back and sit "deeper" into your harness for rest breaks but to me it seems to transfer the strain to my upper back and neck. It all becomes a wash in regards to energy conservation. It saves a TON of energy in the sense that you don't climb 14" up just to lose 3-4" with each "setback". You get to keep every inch of advancement up the line.

I'm really really new to this stuff but I can't see a chest ascender being any good other than an SRT ascent...it is worth every dollar and ounce when used in that situation.

I don't think they are fad or for fat guys, but I think they are yet another "one trick pony" tool.

If you just need to get a load off to relieve leg strain ditch the belt and use a climber's saddle with a bridge. Set up a line choked around the trunk as your second tie in. You can choke in close and hang from it off the bridge a bit to give your legs a break. It looks like you're just blowing the tops off and don't have to worry about it getting crowded with blocks and slings around your tie in.
Phil

Does anyone wear these regularly, are they a fad or for fat old guys like me? ? Seems it would give the ABS a break on a big tree.
I mean attached to a saddle?

TB, I dont and dont think anybody does on here.......ok, mabey someone does, but..

A good saddle is your best bet and get some suspender's that hook to your saddle, since your a BIG guy, they will keep your saddle from falling down when climbing with a heavy saw.

Looks like in your first pic things got a little hairy....take up some small wedges and small sledge hammer for more precise felling when in the tops or dropping big sections.

Does anyone wear these regularly, are they a fad or for fat old guys like me? ? Seems it would give the ABS a break on a big tree.
I mean attached to a saddle?

Here's one.
I have the Buckingham Y-harness with croll on my present harness the Skylotec
for Srt of course plus e the way it holds when I need a steady position and the slack in my drt or srt system is to much than I croll in.
It is also like having a third monkey grip to hold tail of rigging rope, slings or quick way to get out oout on a limb or traverse leaders and trees with a second life line.
Can I make do with out it.? I would miss it terribley. Its like a lil buddy that is always there at your sternum to give you a helping hand.
Plus if I ever had to be rescued there is an option for the rescuer to clip to sternal or dorsal ring
When i use it I am thankful it is there and when it is not there I am cursing myself.
I ahve adapted mine for offf and on in a couple minutes so if I feel its not necessary it can come off.
Other thing I like about it is drop the harness over my head and shoulder strap keeps em up till i do the leg straps up and then the waist belt. Keeps the harness up with a big saw on.
ANd most can easilyy be adjusted for your fit and feel.
I like that i can spur back up the spar with the croll as a backup to the lanyard
Drawbacks are It will pull along the shoulders and neck when the line of pull starts to drop below the head and hot days its black and more material to contend with.
I was always akinda suspenders type of guy, growing up in Kitchener and working the market with mennonites, even my highschool formal I wore suspenders.
Mb dudes just don't think its cool.
I might be missing something but I would say for me its all good imo.
Cheers have a great weekend.:smile2:

+1 on using your climb line as a choker. IF you're climbing with an open system.
I have also seen guys do the choker thing with a flipline and a mechanical adjuster. Adds alot for safety and comfort. And quick to implement.

For take downs, I often run my Buckingham Masters Deluxe with their Fall Arrest Suspenders to distribute the load. Please note that they are only compatible with certain saddles.

They could also make a regular saddle convenient (and legal) for bucket or crane work. And add rescue options like somebody mentioned.

I just wear these suspenders for support or if I need to be wearing a fall arrest harness.

If I was using a chest harness with an ascender I would use one separate from my harness. I think CMI makes one which looks nice and simple.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like the OP is asking more about a set of suspenders rather than an SRT system!

Thanks for the pics, I like the one of you looking down.

No one commented on this, but I have been considering picking up a chest harness for a completely different purpose: Some of the equipment will convert a climbing saddle into a certified fall harness, simultaneously allowing SRT, traditional climbing setup, or use in an aerial lift.

That, and they look like they might make decent suspenders for a heavily weighted climbing belt as well as a few places to tie stuff on that isn't hanging from your waist.

Since I haven't tried any out yet, I certainly cannot comment on the usefulness of the equipment. I saw the topic, and tuned in to eavesdrop on some opinions.

To get the most from an srt chest rig you need an srt harness to join it to. No benefits unless you climbing the rope, once your up double roping is far more practical. For blocking down a chest harness has absolyely no use at all, carrying gear on a chest harness would be more of a hassle and would definitely be bad on your back etc, big wall gear slings are more what your after black diamond or metolius are great brands, i think youd use it for a day then throw it into the shed to be honest

the Buckingham Y and H harnesses can both be used on most any harness with lower d's. There is connection to back and connection to the belt with a 3rd connection to the lower d's and it is rated for life support sternal and dorsal rings. What wrong with adding some support, an ascender tool, 2xlife rings, b2xbiners and new system capabilities to your harness?:msp_smile:

Tree Stuff - Buckingham Ergovation "Y" Harness

OK. I was kindof confusing with my pics. I've always done take downs with belt rope and spurs . . Now I'm starting to get into more mulit steOm trees . So I got a saddle . A Weaver Cougar. Just ordered.a Hank of ArborPlex 1/2" 150' got to start learning this stuff so I figure I'll start repelling out of the trees that I'm hanging pulling lines in.
The other day I used the bridge to hang from to take a break and I noticed that just sitting the saddle didn't take the strain off my abs. So I got to thinking that in a multi stem where I'm

On a rope in the saddle I'll.still be maxing my abs ect out. With a chest scroll

Croll I could clip in and lean back . And use it for SRT once I learn how to do that. Looks like the Petzel would clip to my back rescue loop and bridge. And as has been said they would make some heavy duty spenders.

Forget the Croll for the type of work you're doing. Use a Blakes hitch or other friction hitch on a climbing line to use as a secondary lanyard when cutting, or climbing up through limbs, co-dominant stems, etc.
How are you currently getting back to the ground after the top is removed? One step at a time = slow. Sliding down = hard on clothes. Have you got a Figure 8?

Yup 1 step at a time. Didn't used to be as laborious as it is now. .

My figure 8 grew legs along with some other of my hardware a few years ago. I use a Gri Gri. For descents now. It's idiot pruf so far. But I have been thinking about getting one.
They make a bunch of styles now. Any better than others? ?

I had a nice small stainless steel figure 8 that also grew legs and wandered off. Am back to using their cheaper aluminum cousins. Dirty ropes do groovy things to them over time.

TB, I dont and dont think anybody does on here.......ok, mabey someone does, but..

A good saddle is your best bet and get some suspender's that hook to your saddle, since your a BIG guy, they will keep your saddle from falling down when climbing with a heavy saw.

Looks like in your first pic things got a little hairy....take up some small wedges and small sledge hammer for more precise felling when in the tops or dropping big sections.

I use a big, deep face when topping and chunking down a tree. Saves wedging. The spruce in the above pics was next to a house so I put a pulling line in the tops .. Just as insurance I put one on the stob too.

OK. I was kindof confusing with my pics. The other day I used the bridge to hang from to take a break and I noticed that just sitting the saddle didn't take the strain off my abs. So I got to thinking that in a multi stem where I'm

On a rope in the saddle I'll.still be maxing my abs ect out. With a chest scroll

I've got a lot better idea now of what you're asking. You're right the croll isn't what you're wanting then. (I love mine for SRT ascending...but like I said, it has a very specific use/purpose) If you're not playing with SRT I wouldn't bother with one yet.

I have the same saddle as you. Did I "Liger" conversion on it cause I needed the bridge to be about 1" longer to fit around my hips when I put the thing on or take it off. If my abs start to tighten up there are a few things I can do. Put weight on my foot ascender (SRT or DRT) or a single-footlock, hand from arms a while (obviously a trade-off) or hang upside down from bridge or laynard. (Not really recommended) :msp_tongue:

Here's what I meant by single-footlock
New Approaches with Knot Tying: The Sing Foot Lock - It's Amazing!

When I first got my croll I actually took a piece of 1" webbing and used it as a left foot ascender by lashing it to my boot. Now I use a CMI foot ascender but honestly, the croll worked great.

Looks like he would need to start using a climbing line first.

I'd also recommend getting rid of the walmart-rope lanyard. As well as buying a decent limbing saw and posting more in 101. No need for the fancy #### when you don't have the basics in order.

Latest posts

Back