How Many Climbers Work Out / Stretch??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom8726

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was reading the VET CLIMBER thread and some one asked about exercising in general. I wanted to start a thread on how many Climbers actually exercise away from the usual daily work out (WORK).. I am finding that at only 30 I am not nearly as limber as I once was, that combined with winter down time makes for a sore body. I am use to dealing with regular pain and have had my fare share of breaks, tears, stitches, etc.. And even herniated 2 disks in my back about 10 years ago when I still raced motocross, but I always learned to work through it. I found that staying active helped me more then any amount of physical therapy, chiropractors, or time off. I am in pretty good shape, I think? I am 6'0" 178lb's currently and am very active at work and in my personal life. I keep seeing people on here 10-20-30 and even 40 years older then me still working and climbing in the tree industry and Its got me wondering if its Genetics?, routine exercise and diet?, or just the will to keep going no matter what ales you. Or is it a combination of the 3 or more? I know alot of guys in this industry will just drink or pop pills to get through there day but thats no way to live or run a buisness IMHO... I also think I am at the age were my physical limatations are going to get real limited real quick if I am not pro-active on the situation. What do you guys do???????

I was reading the VET CLIMBER thread and some one asked about exercising in general. I wanted to start a thread on how many Climbers actually exercise away from the usual daily work out (WORK).. I am finding that at only 30 I am not nearly as limber as I once was, that combined with winter down time makes for a sore body. I am use to dealing with regular pain and have had my fare share of breaks, tears, stitches, etc.. And even herniated 2 disks in my back about 10 years ago when I still raced motocross, but I always learned to work through it. I found that staying active helped me more then any amount of physical therapy, chiropractors, or time off. I am in pretty good shape, I think? I am 6'0" 178lb's currently and am very active at work and in my personal life. I keep seeing people on here 10-20-30 and even 40 years older then me still working and climbing in the tree industry and Its got me wondering if its Genetics?, routine exercise and diet?, or just the will to keep going no matter what ales you. Or is it a combination of the 3 or more? I know alot of guys in this industry will just drink or pop pills to get through there day but thats no way to live or run a buisness IMHO... I also think I am at the age were my physical limatations are going to get real limited real quick if I am not pro-active on the situation. What do you guys do???????

Chase around my 2 & 4 year old daughters! Also I keep active by playing hockey, refereeing hockey in the winter, snowboarding, and being on the fire dept fighting the "odd" fire. Don't climb much here in the winter....unless its an emergency job or the job is worth a lot of $$

Chase around my 2 & 4 year old daughters! Also I keep active by playing hockey, refereeing hockey in the winter, snowboarding, and being on the fire dept fighting the "odd" fire. Don't climb much here in the winter....unless its an emergency job or the job is worth a lot of $$

Not really what I meant, I mean I still ride dirt bikes, street bikes, snowmobiles, etc.. etc.. I just dont flex and move as good as I once did. I have not been the nicest to my body over the years racing, wrestling, and fighting in my younger days. So I dont expect things to become easier but some mornings I think holy sh!t if my body hurts and cracks like this at 30 how the hell are people still climbing at 60-70.

Not really what I meant, I mean I still ride dirt bikes, street bikes, snowmobiles, etc.. etc.. I just dont flex and move as good as I once did. I have not been the nicest to my body over the years racing, wrestling, and fighting in my younger days. So I dont expect things to become easier but some mornings I think holy sh!t if my body hurts and cracks like this at 30 how the hell are people still climbing at 60-70.

Sorry, yeah I ride sleds in the winter too, don't ride as crazy as I use to! :greenchainsaw:

Sorry, yeah I ride sleds in the winter too, don't ride as crazy as I use to! :greenchainsaw:

X2!! unless the drinks are flowing that seems to bring the youth back, well atleast untill the morning. Lol.. :cheers:

I try to stretch, though not enough. I'm 35 and fit. Feel good most of the time, though do battle tendonitis at times, in the wrists and left elbow. Haven't been tree climbing too long, but was a hard working trail builder, including a lot of rock wall work, and forestry fuel reduction work--cutting and building burn piles with all downed trees.

I think that stretching is key to longevity. Especially for tree workers. I especially stretch my hand and forearm muscles, and wrists. I try to avoid twisting and lifting, such as when chunking wood down or moving firewood. I feel that this is too overlooked. If I have to chunk wood to the side, I try to wobble it to the edge of the spar, or reposition so that I'm pushing it straight forward. I find that this is also a good abdominal training. Core strength is key to a healthy back, balancing those strong back muscles that are unavoidable with all the lifting that we do.

Warming up and cooling down is another key.

I try not to work, get in the truck, drive home, and sit. I like to try to move around for a while to reduce muscle tension buildup.

I stretch and work out, it helps tremendously.

Just 3 days ago I decided to dedicate 10-20 min morning and night for stretching. It seems to be helping already. I have gone through this before and then my back feels better and I stop stretching. :bang: When I stand up lately I have to take about 10 steps before I can stand up strait, sucks!!:censored:

i stretch every morning. i got a couple little yoga things i learned when i was doing a little of that, it works pretty good to get the back stretched out. also i make sure to get the hamstrings loosened up along with some groin stretches.
then i swing the arms around abit to loosen them up.

i hear you though about waking up in the morning sounding like you are walking down the attic stairs. lol.

as far as lifting goes...body weight man. push ups, pull ups and some good core workouts. some times if we are humping wood i'll do some push presses and shoulder stuff with the wood but other than that the job takes too much out of me to get a real good deal out of going to the gym.

staying loose is key.

I try to stretch, though not enough. I'm 35 and fit. Feel good most of the time, though do battle tendonitis at times, in the wrists and left elbow. Haven't been tree climbing too long, but was a hard working trail builder, including a lot of rock wall work, and forestry fuel reduction work--cutting and building burn piles with all downed trees.

I think that stretching is key to longevity. Especially for tree workers. I especially stretch my hand and forearm muscles, and wrists. I try to avoid twisting and lifting, such as when chunking wood down or moving firewood. I feel that this is too overlooked. If I have to chunk wood to the side, I try to wobble it to the edge of the spar, or reposition so that I'm pushing it straight forward. I find that this is also a good abdominal training. Core strength is key to a healthy back, balancing those strong back muscles that are unavoidable with all the lifting that we do.

Warming up and cooling down is another key.

I try not to work, get in the truck, drive home, and sit. I like to try to move around for a while to reduce muscle tension buildup.

Muscle tension build up, yup. I think the combination of getting older, working smarter not harder EXAMPLE-crane/bucket, less ground work, more stress, new baby boy, HENCE, home more screwing around on the computer. previous injuries, etc, etc... are all contributing factors. Guess I know what to do, exercise more, eat better, reduce stress, spend less time on the computer, etc etc.. I was just hoping one of you guys had the directions to the fountain of youth or something. Thanks for the replies so far!!:cheers:

i stretch every morning. i got a couple little yoga things i learned when i was doing a little of that, it works pretty good to get the back stretched out. also i make sure to get the hamstrings loosened up along with some groin stretches.
then i swing the arms around abit to loosen them up.

i hear you though about waking up in the morning sounding like you are walking down the attic stairs. lol.

as far as lifting goes...body weight man. push ups, pull ups and some good core workouts. some times if we are humping wood i'll do some push presses and shoulder stuff with the wood but other than that the job takes too much out of me to get a real good deal out of going to the gym.

staying loose is key.

Sounds familiar, lifting has not been a problem though, I may only weigh a 178lbs but I ruitenly out lift and out work guys with 40-70lbs on me. Im to hard headed to let anyone show me up. Dont get me wrong im still going to buck a 200lb piece of wood in half or thirds if I have to hand load it, but Im also going to grab the biggest chunks so no one else feels like there working harder. No what I mean?

Last edited:
Not really what I meant, I mean I still ride dirt bikes, street bikes, snowmobiles, etc.. etc.. I just don't flex and move as good as I once did. I have not been the nicest to my body over the years racing, wrestling, and fighting in my younger days. So I don't expect things to become easier but some mornings I think holy sh!t if my body hurts and cracks like this at 30 how the hell are people still climbing at 60-70.

you have too i have climbed 4 >33 years now it keep you young tom trees

Just 3 days ago I decided to dedicate 10-20 min morning and night for stretching. It seems to be helping already. I have gone through this before and then my back feels better and I stop stretching. :bang: When I stand up lately I have to take about 10 steps before I can stand up strait, sucks!!:censored:

HI Custom

I messed up my lower back 20 years ago or so. And I get like that but mine can get so bad I cannot lift my right leg and would have to drag it it. Because it hurt too much to lift it. The idiot at the clinic I went to gave me one of those back braces which made it worse as I lost mussel strength wearing it. Now I exercise it to keep my back mussels strong.

I think its called a roman chair. But basically I built it into my deck. I lay over the railing with my thighs on the railing. Of my deck face down. A bar at the same level as as the railing catches my the back of my caves. Then I let my upper body down until it is pointing at the ground. Hands behind my head I bring my self up flat ten times then take a break and in ten minuts or so do it again. As long as I do it once or twice a month I don't have any problems with my back.

Billy

I run 4-5 days a week, as well as hit the gym or pushups/crunches every day. (when not on the road traveling storms) Over half the year my workload is a lot easier. And some hard core mountain biking couple times a week. I stay really flexible when active regularly.

45 years old, and it gets harder every year, and I do slightly less. and stretching exercises sure help in the morning.

but I am addicted to adrenalin and endorphins, :hmm3grin2orange:
and can't even buy body fat. all this sure helps climbing.

Last edited:
HI Custom

I messed up my lower back 20 years ago or so. And I get like that but mine can get so bad I cannot lift my right leg and would have to drag it it. Because it hurt too much to lift it. The idiot at the clinic I went to gave me one of those back braces which made it worse as I lost mussel strength wearing it. Now I exercise it to keep my back mussels strong.

I think its called a roman chair. But basically I built it into my deck. I lay over the railing with my thighs on the railing. Of my deck face down. A bar at the same level as as the railing catches my the back of my caves. Then I let my upper body down until it is pointing at the ground. Hands behind my head I bring my self up flat ten times then take a break and in ten minuts or so do it again. As long as I do it once or twice a month I don't have any problems with my back.

Billy

Got a picture of this thing? I am picturing an inverted sit up of sorts?

Here's some shots I pulled out of the archives of me "working out" after work, lol.

DSCN1697-1.jpg

DSCN1695.jpg

DSCN1696.jpg
bb

Latest posts

Back