How Many Climbers Work Out / Stretch??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 50, I've had a weight lifting routine for about 20 years now. Footlocking on the splittail during my tree season does alot for me, but in the 4-5 month offseason I work the weights for 1 hr 3 days on ,2 off. I stretch the muscle group I'm working after every set. My 3 main exercises are DAY ONE_chinups[to the chest LOL,and to the back of the neck] 4 sets of 10reps,some rows plus reverse and regular grip bar curls. DAY TWO_bench press,narrow bench press and seated press behind the neck. DAY THREE_deadlift[try 300 lbs for 20 reps, really does wonders]. I gave up on the squats years ago, deadlifts do the same job and are alot safer and more useful for grip and lifting related to the job of tree work. Of all the exercises deadlifting is major.
Everyday even on my 2 off days I do 10 minutes of crunches and hanging knee raises. Plus 20 minutes on the treadmill at 7-10 mph.
During my tree season I work out when I can but only light and high rep weight training only. Still do the same chinups. I have eliminated alot of minor weight lifting exercises over the years which only burnt me out on the major ones.:)

Last edited:
I am not a pro but I do cut a lot on the farm. I am 59 and use to do the weight thing but now all I do is body weight exercises. Most days I do a hundred squats hindo push-ups with my feet elevated and pull-ups. I think this keeps me fit. My shoulders have no pain at all since I gave up bench presses.

I'm 50, I've had a weight lifting routine for about 20 years now. Footlocking on the splittail during my tree season does alot for me, but in the 4-5 month offseason I work the weights for 1 hr 3 days on ,2 off. I stretch the muscle group I'm working after every set. My 3 main exercises are DAY ONE_chinups[to the chest LOL,and to the back of the neck] 4 sets of 10reps,some rows plus reverse and regular grip bar curls. DAY TWO_bench press,narrow bench press and seated press behind the neck. DAY THREE_deadlift[try 300 lbs for 20 reps, really does wonders]. I gave up on the squats years ago, deadlifts do the same job and are alot safer and more useful for grip and lifting related to the job of tree work. Of all the exercises deadlifting is major.
Everyday even on my 2 off days I do 10 minutes of crunches and hanging knee raises. Plus 20 minutes on the treadmill at 7-10 mph.
During my tree season I work out when I can but only light and high rep weight training only. Still do the same chinups. I have eliminated alot of minor weight lifting exercises over the years which only burnt me out on the major ones.:)

I am exhausted just reading this.

I am not a pro but I do cut a lot on the farm. I am 59 and use to do the weight thing but now all I do is body weight exercises. Most days I do a hundred squats hindo push-ups with my feet elevated and pull-ups. I think this keeps me fit. My shoulders have no pain at all since I gave up bench presses.

Sounds like you have a good routine there. Yes bench pressing can kill the shoulders, been there. Try a reverse grip bench press movement,takes all the bad stress from the shoulders rotator cuffs. Bench pressing is still the motherload of all upper body strength exercises. I don't do incline benches ,really hard on the shoulders. I don't get crazy with the heavy weights,lots of reps give you endurance.At my best I did 20 reps of 225 lbs[2 plates]on the bench press[10 x225 on the narrow grip bench press], took many years to get there and my max 1 rep at that time was only 350. The 20x225 is alot more impressive and easier on the joints.:)

Last edited:
I lift weights 2 days then take a day off for about 30 40 mins in morning with core work. One day upper and one day lower body and arms. I do push and pull like a press and a lat pull down ....a leg extension and a leg curl.... and so on. I do stretches while lifting and hit the bags which stretches you too.

At night I either run on treadmill (used to run outside) or 2 times a week I play a high level racquetball league match (high for my age 59). Been playing since l975. It is a great game that simulates treework as it is surge and rest. It is a hell of a lot of fun too and to get a new league sheet every couple of months and try to kick the guy's ass that beat you last time....sure pleasure.

I have a gym in my garage and belong to Y and RBall club. I have the roman chair and would not live without for back. Here is a great piece of equipment for squats that you can cheat on. I got skinny legs but can do 3 sets of 400 lbs at 10 reps. Helps standing on spikes all day and my Rball game.
attachment.php

Equipment takes a load off day to day too. Mini skids, buckets, cranes, etc. all cost big but pay off big $ while giving the bod a rest.

Racquetball is a sport I played a little of years back when I was logging up in Thompson, Manitoba. The only town in northern Manitoba that has a racquetball court. Down here in The Pas it is just a distant memory. Excellent cardio and hand/eye coordination exercise, I really loved the sport.Treevet that roman chair is a neat piece of equipment, nice and safe to work out with. Doing treework for a living everyone has to know their limitations. A guy can't afford to be layed up for too long from getting injured exercising.

Last edited:
Racquetball is a sport I played a little of years back when I was logging up in Thompson, Manitoba. The only town in northern Manitoba that has a racquetball court. Down here in The Pas it is just a distant memory. Excellent cardio and hand/eye coordination exercise, I really loved the sport.Treevet that roman chair is a neat piece of equipment, nice and safe to work out with. Doing treework for a living everyone has to know their limitations. A guy can't afford to be layed up for too long from getting injured exercising.

I think you and me are similar HolmenTree, although I am no where near as strong as you are. Been addicted to weights since I was about 16. It is not always good. Right now I have a glitch in my right rotator. I cannot stop doing benches although I should. If I do incline pushups on dumbells it warms up the injury and I can do the movement. Kind of a dumbell myself for not stopping or cutting weight way back.

There couldn't a more fun way to bust ass than Rball IMO. Check out www.irt-tour.com and you can get a little idea about the pro's in this sport. I have seen them play many times and because the sport is so small, I have been on the court with a number of them over the years. They hit the ball over 200 mph at times, and if you get hit in the legs or back, it's gonna leave a black necrotic spot that is fun to put on another guy if he don't get out of your way when you got an easy shot (blocking your easy shot on purpose).

I don't see how guys don't work for this job as when the going gets real tough on a hot day etc., I always feel like it is a good thing and a work out. Non work out GM's I have had or climbers burn out or get insignificant injuries and whine a lot.

I know JPS is a Karate-man. That is a great and similar work out to Racquetball. Lots of stretching too. Look at these guys in the UFC. No better fitness levels in the world IMO.

I think you and me are similar HolmenTree, although I am no where near as strong as you are. Been addicted to weights since I was about 16. It is not always good. Right now I have a glitch in my right rotator. I cannot stop doing benches although I should. If I do incline pushups on dumbells it warms up the injury and I can do the movement. Kind of a dumbell myself for not stopping or cutting weight way back.

There couldn't a more fun way to bust ass than Rball IMO. Check out www.irt-tour.com and you can get a little idea about the pro's in this sport. I have seen them play many times and because the sport is so small, I have been on the court with a number of them over the years. They hit the ball over 200 mph at times, and if you get hit in the legs or back, it's gonna leave a black necrotic spot that is fun to put on another guy if he don't get out of your way when you got an easy shot (blocking your easy shot on purpose).

I don't see how guys don't work for this job as when the going gets real tough on a hot day etc., I always feel like it is a good thing and a work out. Non work out GM's I have had or climbers burn out or get insignificant injuries and whine a lot.

I know JPS is a Karate-man. That is a great and similar work out to Racquetball. Lots of stretching too. Look at these guys in the UFC. No better fitness levels in the world IMO.

I agree, those guys take working out to a whole new level.

Treevet

Maybe you should try just going all body weight exercise. You may find your strength actually goes up. Try doing 25 deep knee bends, 15 elevated push ups, and 8 pull ups and then repeat 4 or 5 times, at the end I am really sucking air. My opinion this really simulates real work. Plus low risk of injury. I read that getting out of breath triggers the release of HGH human growth hormone.

Maybe you should try just going all body weight exercise. You may find your strength actually goes up. Try doing 25 deep knee bends, 15 elevated push ups, and 8 pull ups and then repeat 4 or 5 times, at the end I am really sucking air. My opinion this really simulates real work. Plus low risk of injury. I read that getting out of breath triggers the release of HGH human growth hormone.

I agree Termite and do some body weight stuff (pullups and elevated pushups on dumbells and dips. I also do rowing by hanging by both arms with feet elevated. I used to do 3 sets of 10 handstand pushups against a wall but not up to that anymore. Also heard that hormones are released with exercise. Also heard that heavy movements add to that. Squats, Benches, deadlifts I heard give the most. Wasn't any researcher that told me that tho.

I like to think I exercise every muscle (major) with my 2 workouts I do. Treework and the sport I play finds the weakest link I have found over the years with injuries.

My theory with injuries has been for the most part....take a muscle relaxer or get a shot....then exercise while the pain is gone a little easier than usual (unless of course something is broken). It has worked for me but maybe not for everybody. Just got to listen to your body (feel it).

I would have loved to have gotten into that if it was around when I was young. Just don't like the part where their ####s match up in the ground game LOL.

UFC fighting has always been around as long as drinking establishments have been around ,just nobody got paid for it.:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back