How Many Climbers Work Out / Stretch??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think all you pansies would cry if you got a taste of what my therapist does to me. He says" Its good for you" I say " let me try it on you then"

Lots of hard objects being jammed into tissue fascia and hyper stretching. He beats me with a crutch. He has a Makita skroll saw ,he put a rubber cap on where the blade would go and he goes in with that. He gets those hot rocks and instead off using his fingers to massage he uses those.
I like it. Before I had him I had this big fat bull dyke who Raulphed me good. I used to go to those places where they played the soft music and had some cute girl rub a dub The Dan but they was to soft.
I was in today and for about an hour and a half he was digging in the tendons of my elbow. I wanted to scream, feel great now though.
I had a roman chair at one time, it was a good investment. I like a Ma - roller.
I have tons of aches and pains, most still from my first day on the job.

Here's some shots I pulled out of the archives of me "working out" after work, lol.

DSCN1697-1.jpg

DSCN1695.jpg

DSCN1696.jpg
bb

you do have some dimples don't ya?

I started running 2-4 times a week this summer. My endurance is defiantly better then before. Climbing doesn't make my heart pump out of my chest like a good long run. I looked like I was in better shape then I was before I started running. I really need to learn a good stretching routine though, I think it could really help me out.

I was reading the VET CLIMBER thread and some one asked about exercising in general. I wanted to start a thread on how many Climbers actually exercise away from the usual daily work out (WORK).. I am finding that at only 30 I am not nearly as limber as I once was, that combined with winter down time makes for a sore body. I am use to dealing with regular pain and have had my fare share of breaks, tears, stitches, etc.. And even herniated 2 disks in my back about 10 years ago when I still raced motocross, but I always learned to work through it. I found that staying active helped me more then any amount of physical therapy, chiropractors, or time off. I am in pretty good shape, I think? I am 6'0" 178lb's currently and am very active at work and in my personal life. I keep seeing people on here 10-20-30 and even 40 years older then me still working and climbing in the tree industry and Its got me wondering if its Genetics?, routine exercise and diet?, or just the will to keep going no matter what ales you. Or is it a combination of the 3 or more? I know alot of guys in this industry will just drink or pop pills to get through there day but thats no way to live or run a buisness IMHO... I also think I am at the age were my physical limatations are going to get real limited real quick if I am not pro-active on the situation. What do you guys do???????

If you're 6ft and 178 you're in good shape IMO. I do work out when I'm not to knackered after the days activities but guess what I'm 5ft 10" and just a shade under 200(all muscle with maybe a few pounds of belly). I'm 41 but I eat like a horse the work makes me so ravenous for meat. I wouldn't start worrying till you can't move your knot up the rope! Actually I wouldn't even worry about that because they used to advertise what was called 'a spreader for the arborist of more generous proportions!LOL

You never get tired of this job the buzz is too good so don't be a slave to the gym (like me)there's nothing worse than going back outside in the heat to get more sweaty with sawdust still in your ears!

If you're 6ft and 178 you're in good shape IMO. I do work out when I'm not to knackered after the days activities but guess what I'm 5ft 10" and just a shade under 200(all muscle with maybe a few pounds of belly). I'm 41 but I eat like a horse the work makes me so ravenous for meat. I wouldn't start worrying till you can't move your knot up the rope! Actually I wouldn't even worry about that because they used to advertise what was called 'a spreader for the arborist of more generous proportions!LOL

You never get tired of this job the buzz is too good so don't be a slave to the gym (like me)there's nothing worse than going back outside in the heat to get more sweaty with sawdust still in your ears!

Physically I usually dont get winded climbing or even much on the ground these days, Its more my back needs more stretching type exercises I think. On day 4 of stretching morning and night and it seems like my back is starting to losen back up finally. I am just trying to be pro-active on things if possible..

roman-chair-hyperextension-wrch22.jpg

Be careful with hyperextentions, you can make your lower back worse if it is a bulging disk. How they explained it to me was you open the joint, relieving pressure, which gives immediate relief. But the fall back is that you can push the disk out more, and the relief may stop reabsorption of the bulging tissue.

I'm a big believer of using a physical therapist, and assisted stretches. A lot of our work requires strength in very shore range of motion, which causes long term problems.

I find using a pole saw before climbing helps work out starting stiffness, and gets the juices flowing.

I workout 4 times a week along. It really helps me climb and get through jobs that would otherwise be really tough. I also eat healthier than some people, just to keep my fat content down. Thats less my upper body has to pull up. Everyday that I climb, I eat a banana beore i go into a tree. I cramped up one time while climbing and it was miserable.

custom. you should take a look at some yoga. telling you that stuff will stretch you right out, never mind the workout you get from it. stuff is the bomb for getting loose. as always though, you get out of it what you put in.

yep to yoga

roman-chair-hyperextension-wrch22.jpg

JPS - You are a little bustier than I imagined, but I can see how the outfit would make you more nimble in the tree... ;)

You are right though - lower back extensions is about the best anaerobic workout / stretch you can do...don't forget the hamstrings as well (they're all connected somehow...)
old dirty is spot on with yoga - stretches and builds muscles in the weird areas you don't use (until they are strained/extended, etc.) Prevention is truly the key to physical work health and safety...

custom. you should take a look at some yoga. telling you that stuff will stretch you right out, never mind the workout you get from it. stuff is the bomb for getting loose. as always though, you get out of it what you put in.

I don't know but I was thinking a forum like this could use some kind of " hosted " thread thingy, like you could do yoga, maybe a cooking forum. Post video and whatnot as well I guess but in true he-man tree-man stlye of course. I would like to do something on gift wrapping. Everybody always remarks what a swell gift wrapper I am, maybe they should see the other side of it.

Physically I usually dont get winded climbing or even much on the ground these days, Its more my back needs more stretching type exercises I think. On day 4 of stretching morning and night and it seems like my back is starting to losen back up finally. I am just trying to be pro-active on things if possible..

I totally hear you. I squeak and creak an awful lot these days especially in the morning. I think just physically doing our job provides us with a lot of exercise and some stretching. Stretching is some thing I will definitely consider in the near future it's just time for me, I have a four month old daughter so I needn't say any more.

If you can stand the mickey taking from your friends Yoga is supposed to be awesome for your back.

I sit here reading this thread while switching the ice packs around on my knees! Tree work, years of landscaping and field hockey have combined to take a toll.
I find fatigue a factor, usually cumulative. I reckon I don't consume enough calories to make up for what I expend...and throw in a few late nights and Christmas parties at this time of year...!

I am reluctantly going to have to start a routine again. I always hated to wake up no matter how much sleep I had but when younger I would force myself up early, somedays to run and even on Sunday.
I had one of those sit up rocker things with weights taped to it and even one of those roman chairs everybody is so anxious to burst a spleen on.
The last few weeks I have been recooperating my saw arm from when I got frisky and started swinging the 44 below my feet at some poison ivy on the trunk. My entire arm is screwed... again.
Its true what Sanborn ssaid about quick short movements. It builds density but its very local. Muscle memory plays in to that to I think so its good to stretch. Keep the full range and stretch to compensated for the times you are flogging the dog to much. Yeah, quick short and rapid.
So I regularly see a sports medicine guy. I am usually hooking myself up to that machine that makes your muscles jump involutarily. I forget what its called but I like it.
here is something you might want to try. First pick an area you want to stretch, lets say bicep. Put you arm on a mat and bend you elbow up. You should be in a position to flex your bicep but don't. Have someone push down on your relaxed bicep as hard as they can then try to unbend your arm. This hurts like hell, that's why I do it.
What you are doing is making the muscle and all its parts stretch more than normal. This rips out old slow, hardened and painful tissue and as long as you are eating OK and taking care new tissue will grow... so they say.

Back