how many cords of firewood needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankLCSW1212

Reaction score
I recently moved to the Reading, Pa area and I will be burning firewood as the primary heating source to heat the 1830 sq ft 2 story house. I had my first cord delivered today- a complete measured seasoned oak cord.
I will be using a new Lopi Freedom Insert. Not considering last winter as a predictor of this winter, for those who may live be in my area, please give me an idea on how many cords I should be buying. 3 or 4 cords?
Thanks!:chainsawguy:

I live in north west ohio and last year I burned 5 full cords to heat my 1200 sp ft one story home the weather is a bit colder here than your area. But that will give you a good starting point. It never hurts to have an extra cord than you need you can always burn it next year.

Assuming the house has any insulation it shouldn't need more than 3 cords of seasoned oak.

My father heats over 2500ft. with an old Hardy wood stove on just 3 cords, but that is almost 100% hedge, the mother of all firewoods.

Go with 6 cords till you know what you need (next year) imho. You get much worse winters there than we do here, I heat 700sq ft of not badly insulated house, burn 7-8 months of the year, about 3 cords + -, always nice to not run out of wood though. You are heating two stories and that is a consideration, as well using an insert, which in my limited experience, are much less effiecient than a free-standing air-tight. I lived in a rancher for a while that had an old insert, about 1400sq ft, it was such a pig we sealed up the fireplace and ran a pipe through it out the chimney with a small airtight set up on tiles and blocks out front of it, huge, huge difference, half the wood and we were warm (and cooked on it frequently too, bonus), we did need a couple of fans to kick the air around though but considering the old oil furnace in the basement ended up under water it was hardly a tough decision :) Bottom line is, if your house is well insulated and not leaking like the Titanic, double or triple paned windows, insulated doors, gap seals, etc etc., you'll fair far better than trying to heat a 50's era pos. Do remember though that fire takes oxygen and it has to come from somewhere, iow don't burn in an airtight building unless you figure out what y'all gonna breathe, the fire too. Of course, you will find when reading around here, the types of wood you burn (and extent of seasoning), is a big variable as well. Hm, run out of thoughts for the moment, ciao.
My 0.02$ worth fer the evening,

Welcome and :cheers:

Serge

:cheers:

Hi Frank.
I'm in Factoryville about 1/2 hr. north of Scranton, PA. I have an older wood burner in a finished basement. It's a smaller ranch home, but heating 2 floors. Of course there are variables involved, but I would go with five cords and see how that goes.
If your going to be buying your wood theres going to be that break point if it's more efficient to burn wood or use your other heat source and when.
Until the temps are steadily below 40 degrees, it gets too warm in my house with the woodstove. JMHO
Nothing like the heat of a woodstove though.

Kevin

Here in KS we had a power outage from an ice storm three years ago. Wife as pregnant and didn't want to stay anywhere but home. I bought a monster generator, powered everything but the heater, did have the fan runnin for circulation. I went through a cord of Hedge in that 10 day period!! It was COLD, 0 the first night, and 20's-30's the other nights. I have a small Buck, the old 7800 (I think) series, not the most effiecent. 1300sqf Ranch house, single level, built in the late 70's (not the most effiecent).
Long winded post I know, but my point is there are a lot of factors to look at, and you can miss any of them by a mile!! Buy more than you think you need and have it. As you plan on heating soley with wood, it would be a bummer to run out when you need it most!!

I'm in MIchigan and I went thru about 4 full cords, it was mainly ash, so oak should last longer, but I did run out in early March, and I didn't get burning until late December as it was my first year. I'm figuring on using about 1 1/3 full cords a month. I have about 6 full cords waiting, and another 2 still as rounds just in case.

Oct-April, we use, on avg 1cord per month, 2story, but our wood furnace is in the basement and the wood heated air circulates throughout the house, so your mileage may vary.

If you plan on one cord per month, it should work out, keep a record of what you use week by week so you know what the impact of a real cold snap has on your heating needs, as well as the more mild periods where one small fire in morning to take out the chill is all that's necessary.

Good luck, stay warm, and check your chimney.

Latest posts

Back