How many Cords of Firewood Per Tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glewis121

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have read all of the internet different figures for the ammount of firewood in a tree x inchese in diameter and y in height. However, all off the ammounts are always different and i am wondering if anyone can give me a good answer.

How many cords of split firewood are in a tree.

Thanks.

I think measuring say 5 trees (the more the better) get your estimate, then split, stack, and see how close the estimate was on each tree. Then with a little math can figure the differance between standing measure and split and stacked. I hadn't thought about doing this but now you got me interested.

I think measuring say 5 trees (the more the better) get your estimate, then split, stack, and see how close the estimate was on each tree. Then with a little math can figure the differance between standing measure and split and stacked. I hadn't thought about doing this but now you got me interested.

Well I'm not interested....but being I watch the show Numbers, I know the more data the better....so go into the woods, lets say measure every tree for a hundred acres.....then create an algorithm, that takes into account tree diameter, tree tops, and saw kerf ,to pinpoint the exact number of cords per tree in that 100 acre lot. :buttkick: :rock: :popcorn:

Last edited:
Roughly I figure healthy 14 inch diameter at breast height hardwoods yeild close to 1/2 cord. Read that years ago and it seems to work close for me. I give or take from that according to the trees size. I also estimate by how many tankfuls of gas my saws use. Most mid size stihls with sharp 3/8 chain and 7 pin sprocket do about 1, 4x8 ft rank.

I love all this Math, but since I won't be logging it, I just used what the logger told me. I should get about 12 cords from 1 Truck/Trailer load of wood that they can't sell to a Lumber Mill. In other words, twisty, knotty, forked etc. Still not sure how many logs will be on the trailer, but they offered it to me for $900 delivered to my door in 16' lengths.

I have also found a few local tree guys that will GIVE me their trees in exchange for letting them dump wood chips.:clap:

I love all this Math, but since I won't be logging it, I just used what the logger told me. I should get about 12 cords from 1 Truck/Trailer load of wood that they can't sell to a Lumber Mill. In other words, twisty, knotty, forked etc. Still not sure how many logs will be on the trailer, but they offered it to me for $900 delivered to my door in 16' lengths.

I have also found a few local tree guys that will GIVE me their trees in exchange for letting them dump wood chips.:clap:

You could start a compost/mulch/firewood business...if ya got the room.

i don't worry about how much is in a tree..I worry about how hard the bloody
thing is to get home...my dear wife can split it almost as fast as I can cut it,
so i just let her tell me what we got..

That woman is a terror with a wood splitter.

You could start a compost/mulch/firewood business...if ya got the room.

i don't worry about how much is in a tree..I worry about how hard the bloody
thing is to get home...my dear wife can split it almost as fast as I can cut it,
so i just let her tell me what we got..

That woman is a terror with a wood splitter.

Actually, Thats what I have in mind. Nothing to support me, just support the toys and get free wood.

Though I did see a site the other day that had a huge wood pile. Untarped and covered with snow. Since it is pouring today, it is now soaked as well.

I am surprised more guys don't wholesale their wood out. Back in '99 I use to buy firewood by the truck load from a place that split it. $75 per cord picked up. I tacked on another $75 and sold it. They were only open on the weekends and there would be a line of us waiting to get loaded up.

I don't think any dealer should have a huge surplus by this time of the year! Unless your splitting for next season, but that was not the case here.

Latest posts

Back