How many cords on a log truck and pup trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you like.
That thermometer was sun soaked, it was minus 26 C that morning. Serge would unload the wood,I would make the tea, he would have a chew(shhh) and I would have a smoke. All we did was talk logging and chainsaws.

I was supposed to drive one of those feller bunchers they have, but spring came. Quite an operation...

or three...
It's a hobby and I enjoy it. Gets me out of the house,tinkering in the garage,works a few pounds off and it makes me money, and I've met really cool people both customers and (ex)forum members.
I buy a few saws every year with the cash and really like hangin' here

So I had a chance to walk the bush today. I was a little disappointed for there wasn't as many slash trees as I had hoped. I think that there is between 30 and 40 full cord of standing trees, and the tops where there but hard to determine numbers due to so many weeds right now. I also didnt get a chance to walk every section of the bush but I would say I covered over 80%. The good thing is the skidder trails are in real good shape and getting the wood out should be no problem as long as it stays dry. There are some sections where I could see that there would have been lots of standing water in the bush earlier in the season.
If all goes well I am still hoping for around 80 full cord (but 60 would still make me happy). And if my equipment deal goes through I should be able to start by the middle of October. If we have a wet fall I will wait till we have good hard frost in the ground and go from there.

How Much Wood On a Truck

I am doing firewood in Coboconk Ontario north of Lindsay.

I get 2 Truck loads of wood per year delivered here and get 14 cords of wood from the fully loaded truck.

Try to load 16 foot logs if you can as it gives more wood per truck and less wasted air space between the piles.

Cord of wood here sells for $260.00 and I deliver to Toronto and get $420.00

I think you will have to process a lot of wood to pay for the skider in 2 years.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the pics and advice, I will keep the 16' length in mind. I would like to find and interested dealer in Toronto also.
On a side note today I walked another one of the woodlots I can cut. It is very over crowded with cherry and red oak, there is alot of butt rot in the bush which is causeing some of the trees to die and blow over. I guess there is between 30 to 40 full cords in that one also.

I think you will have to process a lot of wood to pay for the skider in 2 years.

Not a skidder just a small tractor and timber winch. I figure if I can move a little over 100 cord a year it should only take a couple of years. But I am always the optimist so who knows?

I would like to find and interested dealer in Toronto also.
/QUOTE]

Do you mean for short wood ?? or 16 foot lengths?? I musta zigged when you zagged...
If its short wood, call University Firewood, he purchases and drop in on any greenhouse operation, they all sell wood in the city.
What a lot of folks forget is the Jewish community on Bathurst street consider themselves to have the worlds best bagels with the secret ingredient being wood fired ovens. Lots of stores burning lots o wood 24/7 365 days

Last edited:
I was the one that said you could buy a skidder for the price of a skidding winch. northern On is full of them . Only thing not as easy to move as a smaller tractor if you have to go medium to longer distances.
I have seen the Wallenstein winches and they look like a toy conpared to how we do it in the bush here. But for a woodlot owner that wants to pick up the odd tree all overtheir place instead of clear cut, they would be just the ticket.
Ken

So Ken what ya got, to help turkey killer get that wood out quicker and the most economically.
BTW I can get a 3 pt hitch winch for 3 grand, so I can expect a skidder for the same price?? Spill the beans....my wallet is getting itchy

I have one 648 Grapple I paid 6500.00, bought it for the rubber that was on it, fits our other skidders and I have another 648 that it would makes parts for.
Thing is I brought it home, drained tranny and diffs and other then needing new brakes and the center pin is a bt loose, still useable seem to be fine. Took it to the neightbours and forwarded 80 cord up from the swamp for him the mill would not take. Works good. We have 6 skidders, all of them sitting without work and 118K rubber check from Abitibi Bowater.

My bills are paid, but there are alot more contractors up here in the same boat and the equipment that is for sale ain't worth much. loggin equipment is cheap right now , and it don't look good anytime in the future either.
Ken

Last edited:
Abitibi Bowater with a bouncy cheque:cry: ouch
You must be in Thunder Bay???

A 648 John Deere for 6500, I'll take one and give 2 grand to float it to my driveway.
Any Clarke 665 or 666

Playinwood, thanks again for the Toronto tip. The one question I have is how picky are the city buyers? I have heard alot of stories of them being super picky on length 16" or 12" exactly, and they like the wood split very fine (small). Where my wood varies from 15" to 17" and most of my customers like to have some bigger chunks. For example a 10" or 12" dia round split once not into 4.

Ken, I have looked at skidders, but for me I think a small tractor and winch would be more the ticket. For one thing I will be able to move it myself with a 5 ton float and my truck. I also own a farm so it will be used for general duty farm work, and if I buy more woodlots I will be going for the low impact angle, as the woodlots will all be selective cut for woodlot management.
Also as stated above can I get a skidder for 3 grand? And how well do the timber winches work? I am looking at an wallenstein fx90 for a 50 horse tractor. Some of the biggest reasons for the timber winch are to pull down trees I get hung up, to pull logs out of gullies, and so I can skid more than 1 or 2 logs at a time. When I cut my bush a couple of years ago the most time consuming part was pulling down hangers, and skidding logs 1 or 2 at a time with the ford 5000. And my neighbour had a clark long beach(?) skidder for the gully trees which he has since sold.

Thanks again for all the input, I have been gaining alot of valuable info here!!

Last edited:
Playinwood, thanks again for the Toronto tip. The one question I have is how picky are the city buyers? I have heard alot of stories of them being super picky on length 16" or 12" exactly, and they like the wood split very fine (small). Where my wood varies from 15" to 17" and most of my customers like to have some bigger chunks. For example a 10" or 12" dia round split once not into 4.

Call University he'll let you know all the details.. he may not even be interested this year I dunno...This is just some homework I did 6 years ago when I was thinking of a firewood processor.
They'll want it split finer then you describe. Get a Gripo splitter for 2500$, problem solved.14 to 16 inch seems to fit the bill, more work I know but better dollar value

You mentioned you farm also ?? what type cuz thats darn fine soil you got. Tobacco I'll bet.I'll be back,I gotta chop corn...lol

Last edited:
You mentioned you farm also ?? what type cuz thats darn fine soil you got. Tobacco I'll bet.

The FIL grows our land and I help out, it was a tobacco/beef farm years ago but has been cash crop for the last 30 or so years. I would say half the farm is sandy loam, and the other half is sandy loam with pockets of hard pan clay. We have 71 acres total with 20 being hardwood (mostly hard maple) bush, and 46 acres growable.

Back