How many cords?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geez

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I live in western Wisconsin. Any of you guys have any idea about how many cords I will need for a 2000 square foot house? I've got about five cords of mixed wood (cherry, elm, walnut,hackberry,maple and pine) put up so far, about half of it green. I figured six to eight cords. Sound about right?

I wood say you are light, especially with green wood. Also depends on the house: insulated? Old, new? Type of heating: fireplace, OWB, wood stove, augmenting heating with a gas furnace or completely wood? Also the amounts of wood that you have. The cherry and walnut have more heat than the pine. The more green and lighter type of wood you have, the more you will need. And of course the winter there can be really cold and nasty, or somewhat less than nasty.

Here in ~mild winter~ Oregon we go through about 7 cords of mixed species. We heat a 2,000 sq ft modern well insulated house (with a LOT of windows) and all the water heating in an OWB. I have 10 cords cut and stacked this year just in case. Last year we started with 5 and came up short and had to scavange and cut in late winter. Someone about a year ago posted a photo of like, 40 cords of wood stacked in a huge row. That was impressive... and the way to go. 3-4 years of wood ready to burn. Though the bugs and rot might get to the last of the wood before he can burn it all.

some of my wood that I cut last winter already is all ate up by borers. Wood frass all over the stuf. Kind of annoying, but I dont know what to do about it. Seems these little borers are rampant here in Central Kansas. I thought it was just ash they liked, but I have since found them in mulberry and locust, as well as osage orange. Little bast...:taped: ...

We have carpenter ants and termites here. Little buggers lighten up the wood pretty fast. Out in the open, even fallen oak branches get eaten through and rot in about a year here. One advantage of the OWB is that it will burn rotten and bug infested wood, and it all stays outside. Large ants and termites pop up just like popcorn in the OWB... :laugh:

I think your goal would suffice. Unless your home is well insulated and you use a catalytic stove 5 cords of medium BTU seasoned wood is on the light side to have.

I guess I should've gave a little more information. I have a propane furnace but intend to use my owb as the primary heat this year. I do have it set up to heat the water also. My house is a combination of old/new construction with 2X4 walls, but since I used to be in the insulation business it is insulated as much as is possible. All windows are newer with insulated glass.
I'm in the construction business so I get maybe a wheelbarrow of construction lumber cutoffs every day or two. That's the pine I was referring to.
I should be out there cutting right now but it's raining pretty good and looks like it will continue all week:( . But hopefully I have a while until the snow flies.

With the OWB I wood say that you will probably need at least 10 cords in that climate. Heating water and the house, and OWB's are somewhat less efficient than inside gasification burners or outside air supply indoor wood burning stoves. Good that you have the supply of scrap lumber though. Great way to get free heat.

A good friend of mine heats 2300 sq.ft. of new construction with his OWB. He consumes about 6 cords per year of green wood here in Indiana. All his wood is oak and hickory.

Better to err on the heavy side than come up short. Or be prepared to pay the oil/electric/gas/propane man!:mad: When the wood is available, get it. Then when you've got a few hours buck it up into rounds. If you've got more time, split it. I stack another day because I like it neatly stacked, with the crisscrossed ends for support.

I would say your goal is good, as a minimum. I would estimate a little heavy and have some left come April, then run out in Feb. I figured about 14 face cords, so I cut and split 18. I also have about a cord of Ash on reserve and a couple of cords of oak and cherry I was planning on using next year if I need them.
Good luck and stay warm.

Just to the east of you Geez, with your stated setup, figure 10cord/yr of seasoned hardwood, the construction scraps will be great for the more mild periods when the system won't be called on as much.

If you have any left over, then it's just easier for a future season, being under budget on the wood bank is always a good thing.

Last edited:
Yep, I planned on going heavy. I just needed an idea of what my goal should be, since I didn't have a clue. I figured you guys would step up and you did. Thanks!
I'm an old hand at cutting/splitting firewood, I just never used it for myself. I was always putting it up for someone else. The price of propane :jawdrop::angry: is changing all that.

Keep busy with the wood till you get it right- what I mean is get what you've got stacked and clear up for continuing work. Stack in 1 cord piles on pallets. That way you can figure out more accurately what you will burn this winter. And the yard will not look like a bomb went off. Another plus of being a "neat freak" is a safer work environment. Nothing like tripping over a length of log with a running chainsaw in your hands!

Just to the east of you Geez, with your stated setup, figure 10cord/yr of seasoned hardwood, the construction scraps will be great for the more mild periods when the system won't be called on as much.

If you have any left over, then it's just easier for a future season, being under budget on the wood bank is always a good thing.

I'll agree with that:clap:

RX: Nice photo of your 4436. I have the exact same model, in brown.

Also, why do you run a hard nose bar on your 290? I also have a 20 inch bar on my 290, but it has a sprocket on the end.

RX: Nice photo of your 4436. I have the exact same model, in brown.

Also, why do you run a hard nose bar on your 290? I also have a 20 inch bar on my 290, but it has a sprocket on the end.

Kind of a long story but I got a free 20 inch bar at a sale. I went to my local saw shop and wanted a saw that I could put this bar on. They had a 290 on the used shelf so that is what I got. I still have the "stock" 18 inch sprocket bar if I ever need it.

Did you see the picture in my avatar? That is just a picture I lifted off of CB web site. I do have some pictures if you want to see them.

cut up more

You can never tell what march or april will bring..Usually to wet and cold to get into the woods to get it. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back