How many cut more than they have to just to run a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I have to ask.... What is CAD? Chainsaw Acquisition Disease?

Looks like you have already started to rationailze things:

Stihl - MS180, MS180C,
MS360, MS390

Husqvarna 445 & 450
In case the women need to trim flower bushes

In order to fix the problem you must first realize that there is a problem so far you only have two saws....and 4 paperweights so you are probably stihl fine ;)

I even cut up trees near my cabin that are partially punky when I want to cut but have run out of good trees.

A number of us have developed axe acquisition disorder (see dedicated axe threads over in the firewood section). So I often look for dead trees to chop too lol.
Yeah I tried the axe and maul thing and quickly discovered that what I did for hours at the age of 17 or 18, at the age of 50 I can no longer do but for about 15 minutes....

Looks like you have already started to rationailze things:

Stihl - MS180, MS180C,
MS360, MS390
Husqvarna 445 & 450
In case the women need to trim flower bushes

In order to fix the problem you must first realize that there is a problem so far you only have two saws....and 4 paperweights so you are probably stihl fine ;)

I knew that'd hook a Suqsvarna fan boy :D

I really don't care for them. Too much weight and not enough go.

I am not the best person with using the proper words but operating a well tuned machine in my hands that responds at the flick of a finger is most satisfying.To have the saw throw chips tells me that the saw is happy to perform the cutting chore. To be out in the woods with know one around except the deer, birds, and the occasional wasp.Listening to the wind gently blowing through the trees sipping a cub of "Ole Stump blower" is a most relaxed feeling. Knowing that my family will be kept warm because of my efforts and my finely tuned saw.Having worked up an appetite knowing my wife has prepared a splendid meal. This is also a most comforting feeling.Strength, serenity,fortitude,they comfort me along with my well maintained chainsaw. Ken

Friends ask me all the time to cut stuff. Most of the time I just quote them a price. To do that helps keep things simple. I volunteer on many community projects and some times even chainsaw work but not for friends. The saws I use often are kept in near perfect condition. To run my saws when I do not have is not very joyful. After cutting and logging for a living for more than 40 years the joy just to start a saw is not joy. However getting up at 4 or 5 AM to start cutting where there is not any people for hours around and watch the wild life walk by like I am not there is pretty amazing. During warmer months having a large ice cold water melon during lunch and then taking a two hour map is pretty joyful. Thanks

GUILTY! I cut way more than just what I need. I cut for/with my father, father in law, brother in laws, and several friends. Everyone seems to call me when they are cutting firewood, because I show up. I try to work it out where they are splitting and loading while I'm running a saw.

Add me to the list! A couple of years ago a friend had some nice Black Cherry (about 3 face cords worth) just begging to be cut & split. A nearby farmer friend that I have cut with offered me his splitter, & I said no thanks. I would hand split it myself. He called me a fool. After 3 hrs. or so of splitting, I had to agree with him!! I still behave the same way even though I am 80. Guess my head is as hard as the wood I split!! It's a good life if you don't weaken!

About 20 years ahead been cutting since 81 . A day in the woods in winter I still enjoy it . I like leisure cutting now build a fire cook some hot dogs laugh at the problems , last weekend the dump truck would not dump made a skip tooth chain after hitting deer climbing spikes . We still made a lot of firewood a life lesion never stop

I've sold some but I feel funny doing it. Most of the people that show up to buy it don't seem to be in good shape financially. I think I've given more away than I've sold and usually feel better about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing wrong with paying ahead via good deeds... Good deeds will come back around and repay you in the future, just as bad deeds will comme back around and smack you in the chops.

I do. My line of work usual involves traveling for a storm clean up detail a couple times a year. If it’s been a slow day and we come across the perfect tree I’ll make cookies just to run a saw. Also if the work involves taking the tree to the stump I’ll often carve my agencies initials, “USA”, or the Jesus fish into the stump. If the landowners don’t like it they can cut it off.

Was working storm cleanup after a tornado about a year ago. It was total devastation. In this area most houses were gone. Not a tree standing in this neighborhood. We bucked one up to get it out of the road and I took 20 seconds to cut a fish in the leaned over 24” stump with the nose of the bar, not even thinking much about it. Later found out that one fish actually made some folks smile that day that had lost everything but their lives.

I love using a saw I've cleaned out the fence rows on everyone's farm around me I cut every tree anyone that mows me for fuel cost and maybe a chain I absolutely love to hear and smell a 2 stroke saw run at its best, I'm now into breathing life back into people's junked out saws and I really enjoy that too

Back