how many different ways do you sell firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamspt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In other words....how many choices do you give your customers?

Pretty much everyone sells by the cord and half cord. I've been getting alot of drive in traffic this year for a stack or a trunk load or minivan load... all odd ball amounts. I've been pricing it off the top of my head and dont really want to do that naymore. In addition to the cord and half cord I want to make a few other sizes available with fixed pricing. This way I can have it all stacked or in log holders ready to go with pricing on it.

How are you selling wood?

I have a couple of 4x4x8 foot boxes I stack the face and toss in wood until its rounded over the top.
I also sell by the truckload, which in my toyota its about 1/3 cord+.
My daughter and I do up bundles of smaller split wood for campfires, that she sells for extra money.

I sell what people need but I limit my wood cutting to 16- and 20+ inches. I won't cut up a cord of 8" to 10" wood (for wood cook-stoves) anymore but they are welcome to by my stubs fairly cheap.

Pretty much everyone sells by the cord and half cord. I've been getting alot of drive in traffic this year for a stack or a trunk load or minivan load... all odd ball amounts. I've been pricing it off the top of my head and dont really want to do that naymore. In addition to the cord and half cord I want to make a few other sizes available with fixed pricing. This way I can have it all stacked or in log holders ready to go with pricing on it.

I sell face cords mainly (1/3 cord). Also sell bundles with 5 or 6 logs.

I sell face cords mainly (1/3 cord). Also sell bundles with 5 or 6 logs.

how/where do you go about selling these? i assume that the market here lies with rich people who just want to burn a fireplace once every now and again, is that correct? seems like you can make quite a bit more per cord this way...

how/where do you go about selling these? i assume that the market here lies with rich people who just want to burn a fireplace once every now and again, is that correct? seems like you can make quite a bit more per cord this way...
I take the bundles to the local True value store. I get 3.oo/bundle and they get .50 for selling. All of my wood is elm. I go to the neighbors tree row and push the standing dead trees over,mark 16 every inches and start cutting rounds. Then i take them to our roundtop shop and split it. If people come pick it up,its 50.00/face cord. If I take it to town 13 miles its 75.00. This is a community of only about 5000 people,city and county. Have sold around 55 to 60 face cords so far this year. But only about 65 bundles. Its just my 2nd year. Still learning.

Also,nobody around heats with only wood. there just isnt that many trees here. We mostly have natural gas. Some have propane. I'm the only one who sells firewood around here but still not that much is needed. It just helps pay off the 'plastic' in the wallet.

You can sell by face feet. For instance I and most dealers in NW IN sell 8 foot long 4 foot high face cords cut approximately 16inches long. The face is 8'x4' which = 32 face feet (=1/3 of full cord ) If you charge $64 a face cord that would be $2 a face foot. So say you have a row stacked 3 foot high x 7 foot long there would be 21 face feet, which you multiply x $2 = $42 (the same rate as $64 per 4'X8' face cord)
Get your calculator out to figure how much per face ft. to charge to correspond with your face cord or cord price. I made a chart multipling 32 x different $ figures so I can look at it when pricing wood. $1.50 x32 = $48.00 a face cord, $1.75x 32 =$56 a face cord , etc

I sell from my driveway in 1/4 face increments, or 1/12th cord. Since the 16 inch stick divides the cord by 3 it makes things so much easier to describe.

I have one service I contract climb for who cuts to 20 inches and has the math to show the client the value. Too many of my drive up clients have smaller fireplaces. I do not do the volume to sort.

The 1/4 cord is a good size load for a car trunk. I have a smaller rick for $10 which is a bit smaller then the 1/4 face.

I have the 8 foot face divided into 4 "ricks" roughly equal using the iron posts for wire fence. 8 posts and driver are less then $100

For ease of transaction I sell each rick for $20

(4*3)*20=240/cord with no delivery

with a 1/3 face 240/9=$26.67 so one could sell that for $30 and make $30 a cord more
30*9=270

Delivery
Free Delivery of all firewood within a 10-mile radius of zip code 38401. $25.00 Delivery Fee for 20 mile radius. Restacking of wood at your house is available for a small fee. Pickup is also available.
Prices
Full Cord (4ft x 4ft x 8ft) $150.00

Wow Mike, that's not worth the effort up here, I could see 150 with a scaled delivery fee based on mileage.

In the metro area one may find a service that will load you for $150 a cord.

Then if you go up north a ways they will load a face for $10 total. It seems that every other house is selling to the weekend home owners. Splitting all that for beer money does not seem worth it. But if you are burning 10 cord a year, then it may not seem a big deal.

$150 a cord

It is mixed hard wood and thats is the going rate around here . I have even seen face cords for $50 around here . A lady called me the other day and asked how much for a rick . I told her its all seasoned and split 16 to 24 inches long and under 6 inches in diameter and burns very good for $75 a rick . She blew her top off !!! She said she bought a rick years ago for $35 and it lasted for 3 years . I cant beat that deal. I learn form the old heads on here . I am going to stick with my prices . I have had repeat costumers that havent complained not once . One family buys a cord every month . I want to sell it but im not going to give it away .

It is mixed hard wood and thats is the going rate around here . I have even seen face cords for $50 around here . A lady called me the other day and asked how much for a rick . I told her its all seasoned and split 16 to 24 inches long and under 6 inches in diameter and burns very good for $75 a rick . She blew her top off !!! She said she bought a rick years ago for $35 and it lasted for 3 years . I cant beat that deal. I learn form the old heads on here . I am going to stick with my prices . I have had repeat costumers that havent complained not once . One family buys a cord every month . I want to sell it but im not going to give it away .

I dont blame you. Its hard work getting and selling firewood. What do they think,that forewood grows on trees!!?

Selling firewood info

I only sell wrapped and bag firewood now. Different people are going to put me out of business every week or so. The beer drinkers and the well fair buddy's that switch with the season are always going to be there to under cut you but forget about them if you are full time. If people want to raise the roof over your price you don't want them as customers any way. I stay busy year round and can't complain about how much I make. There is more to a firewood business than just selling. If you sell bulk firewood it doesn't matter what it looks like if you sell for in wrapped each bundle has to look good laying on there fire place for the next burn. Later

I would check the New Jersey statutes to see if they define what measurements of wood can be sold. In many places it can only be sold by the cord (128 cubic feet) or some defined portion thereof. No legal sales by the rick, rank, face cord, bundle, truckload, pallet, etc. This is done to ensure that the customer gets value for their dollar and are not ripped off.

Back