How many enjoy removals more than the tedious nature of pruning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who here enjoys the money and playing with their toys while removing a tree, the crunch of dropping a big one on the street, or the cognitive thinking of roping one down limbs versus the tedium of looking for sucker growth and deadwood?

I believe that when you pose a question in this manner, it's hard to tell if you're truly asking a question to get an answer, or just chest thumping your desire to do removals while puting down what you perceive the negatative aspects of pruning.

If you were searching for answers, "What do you prefer, removals or pruning and why?" - would be a better question to get a proper response.
If you were boasting your desire for removals while trying to be condescending of those who prune, you nailed it....... in a passivive-aggressive way.

Myself, I do 99% removals.
I find the simple "climb while limbing on the way up and chunk on the way down" type of removals quite "tedious" and boring.
I prefer the days of a technical removal with lots of ropes and rigging. I enjoy working with a well run crew that has a team concept. I like having fun while doing it and want my team to enjoy it as well. I also want the customer to be pleased when were gone. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area that has an abundance of trees and there is no shortage of hazardous, dead or diseased trees. I specialize in removals because I'm good at it.
I wish I was as good at pruning, but it's a skill I'll usually leave for those that specialize in that work. I'd love to have a day a week floating amongst the canopy with nothing but a pruning saw and the wind.

As others have said, one big advantage of pruning is continual business with the same customer for many years.

I believe that when you pose a question in this manner, it's hard to tell if you're truly asking a question to get an answer, or just chest thumping your desire to do removals while puting down what you perceive the negatative aspects of pruning.

If you were searching for answers, "What do you prefer, removals or pruning and why?" - would be a better question to get a proper response.
If you were boasting your desire for removals while trying to be condescending of those who prune, you nailed it....... in a passivive-aggressive way.

Myself, I do 99% removals.
I find the simple "climb while limbing on the way up and chunk on the way down" type of removals quite "tedious" and boring.
I prefer the days of a technical removal with lots of ropes and rigging. I enjoy working with a well run crew that has a team concept. I like having fun while doing it and want my team to enjoy it as well. I also want the customer to be pleased when were gone. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area that has an abundance of trees and there is no shortage of hazardous, dead or diseased trees. I specialize in removals because I'm good at it.
I wish I was as good at pruning, but it's a skill I'll usually leave for those that specialize in that work. I'd love to have a day a week floating amongst the canopy with nothing but a pruning saw and the wind.

As others have said, one big advantage of pruning is continual business with the same customer for many years.
They are negative aspects to me, I was just wondering if they're are others out there that enjoy the art of removals like myself, you're right if every job was a large complicated removal it would get old, but fortunately they aren't. I don't care if people don't prefer them, I just wanted to know if anyone else looks forward to planing out a complex removal.

They are negative aspects to me, I was just wondering if they're are others out there that enjoy the art of removals like myself, you're right if every job was a large complicated removal it would get old, but fortunately they aren't. I don't care if people don't prefer them, I just wanted to know if anyone else looks forward to planing out a complex removal.

Isn't Arboristsite a neat place? I love this place. There are sites on the net where someone may say that no matter what you post you come off as a boastful little prick...but not here. Ain't it great.:)

For me...as I've said in another thread....this is literally the only job I've had for my entire adult life. I graduated high school and worked for one large company for a few years and then have been on my own ever since. I have kids who are older than I was when I started. I've done everything you can possibly imagine 25 , 50, 75, 273 (name a number) times over. I get the excitement of it. I love a complex job done perfectly. I love the feeling of everything basically being on my shoulders. But....I just don't have anything to prove any to anyone and I don't have the ambition I once had. I'm still every bit as good as I've ever been (and I'll still do the big jobs) but I like the idea of just doing what makes me happy....just as you guys who love big removals want to do. I just enjoy making trees look nice and keeping them healthy. I'd be happy to spend the rest of my career just trimming and creating my "masterpieces".

Unless i missed something i dunno if that tree was complex , i still want one those but
I agree very simple nothing to hit, but it was a cool toy, the applications are very limited though

I would just Do drive by's all day past the other tree crews with it while there working like they do to us :)
Does that happen every where else ??

I would rather do pruning any day. Sometimes I get so pissed off because of a tree that is super difficult to do spurless and wish for it to be a removal until I get out of the tree and see the results. I have mixed emotions about doing kills, fun work but I would prefer to have more trees in the world than less.

We use software that tracks profits in various aspects of the work we do.

Pruning brings in almost twice the profit per man hour over removals.

We have never had the need to hire a contract climber though quite often they call offering their services.

We have never had the need to hire a contract climber though quite often they call offering their services.

Yep. Just about twice. On a lot of jobs thrice.

We have "contract climbers" if you will call about once a month looking for work. Most of those guys have issues.

I can't come close to the same money as Removals in my area. I have know where near the years under my belt as many on here... but have been making my living for a while at this. I must not be fast enough at pruning.Maybe too o.c.d.?
People may be too dang tight around my parts also. I do wish I could at least come close to the same $$$ .

We have "contract climbers" if you will call about once a month looking for work. Most of those guys have issues.
My issue is I'm motivated, I want everyday to be like my great ones, come in work for 7 hours and make a grand, work 12 months a year not 8, not really an option in my state, though I don't think I'd make as much in other states too much competition.

I once had a guy approach me on my lunch break asking if we were hiring and telling me how good of a climber he was. He was going on about how all the best climbers in our state capital knew each other and were friends. Then he said "We all work for different outfits but we all smoke the same weed after work!" Wow! Way to put your best foot forward, buddy! :)

I obviously didn't hire him. Not because he smokes pot but because I don't hire idiots.

Latest posts

Back