How many Farms on AS? answer the poll.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many farmer on AS?

• Own or work on a working farm

Votes: 57 44.2%
  • Have owned or work on a farm

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • A family member has a working farm

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • No farm background

Votes: 24 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do contract programming to pay the bills. Have a 40ac horse farm on the "in town" land we bought to live on. Raised Virginia pine Christmas trees on grandpa's homestead during the '90s. Now I keep 100ac of that in bermudagrass hay at @20k sq bales per year and use the equipment to do contract pasture renovation during the off-season. We'll have an "empty nest" this fall and DW promises to go back to work, then I'll become full-time "farmer", kinda wanting to try sod farming if the new housing market doesn't go belly up. Learned I was good at growing grass when I was just a teenager :dizzy:

live in the house I grew up in on 60 ac, was, brother's ex wife got their ac and sister and brother in law with 1 1/2 ac and mom's new house. Raised 3 daughters here on the farm with 1 married and gone (10 miles away).Her and her husband thought enough of the farm that when the granddog got killed that they wanted to bury him here where he likeed to come and have room to play and be a dog.Guess me and the better half have it pretty good when you get down to it

My wife and I have a few acres of trees and 1 acre of New Zealand White (food plot). In the process of getting another acre of grains put in for the local wildlife.

The new zealand white food plot I assume you mean rabbits? You free ranging them on the 1 acre or buildings? I'm planning on raising some NZW myself and have heard of people letting them run in fenced areas. Curious how much differance there is between cage and free range?

My Dad and I farm about 2,000 acres. Most of it irrigated. Also feed cattle. About 800 -1000 head capacity at the main farm. During the summer in our spare time we.........did i say spare time? lol

Im the son of a 5 generation dairy farmer, I will be the 6th generation once i graduate from high school and college (16 years old-17 in march). farm was established in 1863.

we run a 85-90 milking herd of holsteins and a dozen milking shorthorns (80 lb average and have a 105,000 scc and high quality awards), and operate/till 150 acres (some is rented) on the home farm of corn and hay and alfalfa mix depending on the field, and across town we have 150 acres of corn and hay alfalfa mix.

Once i get through school and college, i plan on returning home to operate the farm next to my father and mother until they retire, then continue on with the farm myself...if im lucky enough to have a loving woman by my side...if theres any out there crazy enough to want to live w/ a hillbillfied redneck farmer like myself LOL

The new zealand white food plot I assume you mean rabbits? You free ranging them on the 1 acre or buildings? I'm planning on raising some NZW myself and have heard of people letting them run in fenced areas. Curious how much differance there is between cage and free range?

Oops. Didn't finish that sentence.

New Zealand White Clover. Food plot for 100 pound plus "bunnies" with white tails.

I have a small 40 acre rock farm :laugh: but my uncles in
Nebraska own ten thousand acre farms where my dad sent
me when about thirteen to learn to become a man! I have
hauled alfalfa,hilled beans,laid irrigation pipe,cut hogs,and
most of the in between! Great way to break in a young man
and let him know what a days work is; daylight to dark. The
youth today at 3 start asking how long are we working I
say I will tell you when we are through! Usually dark is a
good stopping point :laugh:

Last edited:
I have 200 acres that has been in my family for 60 years. There has been corn, tobacco, pigs, cows and hay all grown on the 100 open acres. I only grow grass and sell hay, plus a full time job in town. I always have blow downs or standing dead trees to feed my Hardy OWB in the 100 acres of woods.

Im the son of a 5 generation dairy farmer, I will be the 6th generation once i graduate from high school and college (16 years old-17 in march). farm was established in 1863.

we run a 85-90 milking herd of holsteins and a dozen milking shorthorns (80 lb average and have a 105,000 scc and high quality awards), and operate/till 150 acres (some is rented) on the home farm of corn and hay and alfalfa mix depending on the field, and across town we have 150 acres of corn and hay alfalfa mix.

Once i get through school and college, i plan on returning home to operate the farm next to my father and mother until they retire, then continue on with the farm myself...if im lucky enough to have a loving woman by my side...if theres any out there crazy enough to want to live w/ a hillbillfied redneck farmer like myself LOL
NY hillbillfied :confused: sorry but have you ever been in the real country
:laugh: Just poking fun pardner!

Old Farm Pics

If anyone is interested in looking at some old farm pics, I posted a few, below link... This is my wife's great grandparents farm in Missouri, her grandpa's home place. It was build early 1900s, and added onto in 1929, according to a marking on the front porch... Buildings everywhere, summer kitchen, sheds, barns, more sheds, and an outhouse. Farming the 320 acres was their life, the buildings have old tools, and alot of family history still in them. It was abandoned in 1963 still with no plumbing in the house. A real neat place to visit, it neighbors our land and is a great place to wonder over to and see how they worked and lived.

I forgot to add, the driveway is a mile long from a county gravel road (now blacktop) and then another 4 mile walk to the old school house. All four kids had chores before and after school, they didn't complain about much back then... could you imagine most of today's kids going through that?

Old Farm Pics

Last edited:
My dad was born on a farm, back in the 20's. They had a lot of stones in the farm fields. My Grandpa built a stone picker, because their was so many to pick by hand. The neighbors had bad fields too. My grandpa and my dad built pickers to sell to other farmers. My dad then went into the Stone Picking business. He first did custom work on farmers fields, then gradually worked on golf courses that were "Stoney". That became his nickname. We traveled the country, picking stones, then seeding the golf courses. I helped him for over 20 years, seen a lot of the country. All started with stones on a "Farmers" field.:)

Well I spent the first part of my life on the Tippecanoe dairy farm in Oh. When I was growing up there the dairy was all but gone and my uncles were farming the fields, corn and soy beans. There were several hundred acres of field, pasture, orchard and woods. The family farm. Sold. Now in TN. We have a small horse farm. 17 acres and 6 horses.

If anyone is interested in looking at some old farm pics, I posted a few, below link... This is my wife's great grandparents farm in Missouri, her grandpa's home place. It was build early 1900s, and added onto in 1929, according to a marking on the front porch... Buildings everywhere, summer kitchen, sheds, barns, more sheds, and an outhouse. Farming the 320 acres was their life, the buildings have old tools, and alot of family history still in them. It was abandoned in 1963 still with no plumbing in the house. A real neat place to visit, it neighbors our land and is a great place to wonder over to and see how they worked and lived.

Old Farm Pics

Great farm pictures,reminds me of the FOX FIRE BOOKS,and KY were my sister lives.

NY hillbillfied :confused: sorry but have you ever been in the real country
:laugh: Just poking fun pardner!

haha no offence taken. Our town is in the middle of a river valley and our farm in on the side of the valley-from our heifer pastures we can look at the center of town and see the only stop light in Sherburne and watch the cars go in either directions. we live nestled right into the hill but the :censored: city slickers are gettin a bit to thick round here for my likin...if they want to live in the country they need to suck it up and quit their :censored: about the way we live-buck up or shut up is the way i see it.....LOL

#####in

haha no offence taken. Our town is in the middle of a river valley and our farm in on the side of the valley-from our heifer pastures we can look at the center of town and see the only stop light in Sherburne and watch the cars go in either directions. we live nestled right into the hill but the :censored: city slickers are gettin a bit to thick round here for my likin...if they want to live in the country they need to suck it up and quit their :censored: about the way we live-buck up or shut up is the way i see it.....LOL

I Heard that,..Theres a song out there right now, but cant think of the name,..not accurate tho, but its a point,..

Dad, uncles and aunt's just split the familey farm 500 acres or so. I work for another bigger farm nearby about 4200 acres, half tillable. My house sits on what used to be an 80 acre farm. 6 I own 18 I hunt and the rest is farmed by a good freind/ neighbor They have a dairy farm.

Last edited:
Dad, uncles and aunt's just split the familey farm 500 acres or so. I work for another bigger farm nearby about 4200 acres, half tillable. My house sits on what used to be an 80 acre farm. 6 I own 18 I hunt and the rest is farmed by a good freind/ neighbor They have a dairy farm.

Ahhh a new hunting buddy ole pal, do you take bribes :laugh:

Back