How Many Full Cords In This Pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if your dimensions are correct, and the pile is consistant throughout you should exceed your hopes by about 2 1/2 cords. That pile contains exactly 12 1/2 cords, exactly. :dizzy: Ok, now my head hurts after all that cypherin'.

Andy

so how many pitbull kissing hrs to stack 2 cord? And are the sticks the same length? They are some pretty piles.

so how many pitbull kissing hrs to stack 2 cord? And are the sticks the same length? They are some pretty piles.

I divorced her so I don't hafta kiss it no more! But it took me about 2 hrs with lotsa breaks to stack it. Gets hard on my back bending over that much.

Ted

That is one huge pile to stack by hand and now you are going to re-stack in in to cords.
When we do small loads it doesn't seem as bad. I'm glad it's you and not me..

I think your stack height was longer on top than we all thought. That is a lot of wood. When a person sees the pile now, the first pictures did not do that stack any justice. You might end up with mmore that 10 cords stacked.

Do all of us a favor..... Count the pieces as you stack so we'll know how many pieces are in a cord. If you have 10 cords and count all the pieces as you stack, we'll get a good average. :msp_wink::

I can't see where the stacks are any different! :clap:
232543d1333760479-firewood-002-jpg

Oh, you were planning on stacking it at YOUR house - my bad:
232530-firewood-pile-002-jpg

232529-firewood-pile-001-jpg

That is one huge pile to stack by hand and now you are going to re-stack in in to cords.
When we do small loads it doesn't seem as bad. I'm glad it's you and not me..

I think your stack height was longer on top than we all thought. That is a lot of wood. When a person sees the pile now, the first pictures did not do that stack any justice. You might end up with mmore that 10 cords stacked.

Do all of us a favor..... Count the pieces as you stack so we'll know how many pieces are in a cord. If you have 10 cords and count all the pieces as you stack, we'll get a good average. :msp_wink::

And when you count them might as well number each one, maybe sign them as well.

Iska, I tossed em up there! :msp_razz:

Well, today I managed to get 2 cords stacked. The pile is still 18 feet long, so I used up 7 ft of the pile. However, part of that 7 ft was the sloped part, so now there should be more wood per lineal ft of the pile, at least for a little ways til I start down the backslope of the pile.

Ted

232530d1333750100-firewood-pile-002-jpg

View attachment 232529View attachment 232530

Ted

I still only see a Thumbnail pic on the post we worked on.....don't know what's up with that.....we can try again if you'd like.

Here's what it looks like with my computer when I right click and select 'Copy image location'. Might be a setting on your computer. ???

Dan

I would rather kiss a pit bull with PMS than stack firewood, but it is a necessary evil I guess. Buyer need to know they are getting an honest cord when they come to pick it up.
Ted

Do you deliver your wood or have people pick it up? If you deliver throw a measured cord in your delivery truck and mark how high it comes up on the sides with spray paint. I sell 60-70 cords a year, never stack and have never had a single complaint doing this.

If you think this could work for you, just move your wood pile to a place that gets full sun and wind exposure to ensure proper drying. My piles are usually about 18' wide, 8' high, and up to 100' long on a good year. And from my experience, piles that run north/south dry better than ones that run east/west.

I would rather kiss a pit bull with PMS than stack firewood, but it is a necessary evil I guess. Buyer need to know they are getting an honest cord when they come to pick it up.
Ted

Just checking back to see how much wood Ted stacked from that pile he has. It doesn't look like he stacked anymore.

Hey Ted!! I hope everything is ok on your end. When you have time, would you mind posting a picture of your new dog. :msp_ohmy:

Just checking back to see how much wood Ted stacked from that pile he has. It doesn't look like he stacked anymore.

Hey Ted!! I hope everything is ok on your end. When you have time, would you mind posting a picture of your new dog. :msp_ohmy:

Right now I have 4 cords of it stacked. Looks to be maybe 2 to 3 more in there yet. Haven't had a chance to work on it. The farmer who owns the land I cut on had about 500 to 600 pine trees blow down last fall, right in to one of his fields. We have been busy digging them out of the ones still standing and limbing them up and stacking them. Another day or two of that and we should be done. And, I go back to work on Monday so it could be a while before they all get stacked.

By the way, Iska, my new dog does not like her picture taken, but you are welcome to come over and take one if you would like!! hehheh

Ted

Do you deliver your wood or have people pick it up? If you deliver throw a measured cord in your delivery truck and mark how high it comes up on the sides with spray paint. I sell 60-70 cords a year, never stack and have never had a single complaint doing this.

If you think this could work for you, just move your wood pile to a place that gets full sun and wind exposure to ensure proper drying. My piles are usually about 18' wide, 8' high, and up to 100' long on a good year. And from my experience, piles that run north/south dry better than ones that run east/west.

I deliver maybe half of what I sell, the rest the customers pick up. I know how much goes in my delivery set up so that stuff I just grab from the pile. The stacked stuff is just for the customers who pick up.
Last year I sold a little over 100 cords, but am going to do things different this year. Going to charge a little more and sell a little less, end up making the same money, hopefully.

I plan to have around 60 cords ready to go and when thats gone, I am done for the year. Last yr I had 62 cords ready and they were gone before Christmas so I had to keep cutting standing dead to keep up.
Not going to do that this year. I will keep cutting but it will be next years wood, not this years. Running out of wood that is dry enough to go from the woods to the stove.
Ted

Not good being alone in them woods like that. When I didn’t see any new pictures, I might have over reacted when the wife was saying that someone came in to the ER for a series of them shots. I didn’t know if you were counting all the single pieces of wood in the cord or that dog got the best of you. Glad to hear everything is ok.

John

Back