How many have bought a saw from Craigslist???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bought a saw from Craigslist?

• YES

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • NO

Votes: 31 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have bought 2 Homelite SXLAO's, Dayton 3400, 7 big jreds 49-80, and 1 stihl 024. All were sold with no surprises to me except the 024 with a toasted p&c, but that was my fault. i always take a socket set, screwdriver, comp tester and spark tester i dont like surprises when its mine. No one has told me i couldn't check yet and if they did i prob wouldn't buy. I have never had a problem with cl but i always go prepared and know what i want to spend. You can get some great finds.

don't be thinking there's no good deals on craigslist because YOU can't find any. ads often gets deleted within minutes of listing. after 50 or so phone calls... most have had enough

varies from area to area, killer deals can and do come up. due to the HUGE number of eyeballs looking all times of the day and night.

all the really great deals are jumped on within minutes or hours. if something pops up on craigslist... learnt the hard way, if you want it... you've got to make a beeline with cash in hand... right then.

if you don't... someone else will beat you to the punch.

the old adage ... if it sounds too good to be true, it's not.... does not apply to craigslist. that 090 could be in their way... cleaning out grand dad's garage, etc.

beware of scams... craigslist had the highest incidence of scams of ANYWHERE on the www. but it's incredibly easy to avoid scammers... get a phone number and deal local.

Yes, I have bought 8 so far. I check several times a day. I have missed out on more than I have bought.

Three of my four saws are from CL (see my sig below). Only the MS 460 is new from a dealer. If you chat them up on the phone you can get a pretty good feel for who they are and probably if it's worth going to see the saw or not. I got pretty good deals on all three, and the people I dealt with were all good folks. I don't do Ebay; I'd rather deal face-to-face with people and check out the saw in person.

And yes, I do check CL several times a day even though my great two-saw plan turned into a perfect three-saw plan that morphed into my present four-saw plan. I don't really know if or when I'll make this a five-saw plan, but I'm pretty sure when I see the right deal I'll know it. I just cut for fun to keep the hunting camp in firewood and the fireplace at home well stocked, so I am pretty well stocked up now with saws, I believe. But I must say I do love the thrill of the hunt on CL, looking for that orphan saw that's begging for a new home. Any suggestions of what saw I "need" next from all you AS CAD enablers?

Just a few.. :) (Seven that I can think of)

I used to check CL dozens of times per day.. I think my CAD is now in remission.. I'm thinking "more selling, less buying".

Although, I did call a guy at around midnight last night in response to an ad:

Stihl Chainsaw $30
Fuel leaking from saw.

How can you NOT call on an ad like that?!?! It COULD have been a brand new MS880!!!! With a leaking fuel tank. (Hey, ya never know!)

Just a few.. :) (Seven that I can think of)

I used to check CL dozens of times per day.. I think my CAD is now in remission.. I'm thinking "more selling, less buying".

Although, I did call a guy at around midnight last night in response to an ad:

Stihl Chainsaw $30
Fuel leaking from saw.

How can you NOT call on an ad like that?!?! It COULD have been a brand new MS880!!!! With a leaking fuel tank. (Hey, ya never know!)

LOL. I called that guy at 8:30am yesterday, as I was in the area.
I guess you didn't get it either then?

I've had good luck except for one.........I drove over an hour once to
finally score the 066 I had and am still after. Ad said Stihl 066 $250
I finally find the hillbilly azz place and it was an old 056 or something
similar with no name badge. (obv. not an 066) The guy says "whoops
I thought it was an 066, oh well, I still want $250.00 for it." I wasn't
happy but this guy was huge so off i went on my lonely drive back home.

It was my fault though, I was too excited to ask for pictures.

Have 3 or 4 off CL, best was my 2071 jred never been sharpened had a few tanks thru it. He was asking $150 OBO,, $120 she was mine. Guy apologized profusely because it had been sitting and was dusty, he bought two and said he could only use one.:dizzy:

Nope. I don't like dealing with people I can't see. Plus, I only have 2 saws, which I bought new from a reputable and good dealer. That last part is most important to me. Plus I get hats.:) My only gripe is that they don't have pastel saw hats.:(

Let's see if I can remember what I did buy of CL. I bought a really nasty 041 Super for $40. I made it LN again and sold it.

My Silver RS II square grinder came from CL. It was in very poor shape, but it's also LN now and I have <$300 in it.

My Lightning/Contra came form the Anchorage, AL CL. I think someone else told me about it.

Both my Mall 7H, Mall 6, and Sally Saw all came from CL. Someone esle told me about them and sent me the links.

My 090 was bought off CL by another member. Then I bought it from them.

I don't spend much time on CL myself. I'm open about what I like and/or want, and people send me links occasionally. That's how I end up with saws setting all over the US:( I've got saws in NY and NJ/PA right now.

I bought a John Deere CS40 on CL last weekend. The guy was close and said it didn't run. I went over and looked at the saw. It had good compression. I saw a yellow broken off tab that I pried out with my key. 2 pulls and a pop. 3rd pull was a WAAAAAAAH! $25 and a big thanks.

I also got a pile of nice but well used Poulans for $75. A running 3300. A beat but running 3700 with the chain on backwards. And a real nice hardly used 2800 that this guy bought and put the recoil on the 3300. The 2800 was the nicest of this group by far. Its been sitting and needs fuel lines. I'll mess with them soon.

I bought my Poulan 4620AVX on CL. (46CC, 20" bar) It was listed as new/unused so I wondered if it had "fallen off a truck." But when I got to the seller's location, I found he had a small warehouse of Sears returns he had probably purchased for pennies on the dollar. He checks stuff out, fixes what needs to be fixed and then sells it on CL. He says a common problem with chain saws is that folks dump the bottle of oil in the tank, top up with gas and then find it runs a couple minutes and that's it. :dizzy: He puts a plug in it, proper mix and it is ready to go.

Unfortunately there really was a problem with the saw he sold me. It started readily but had absolutely no power. I took it back and he fiddled with carb adjustment but could do no good so I left it with him. He overhauled the carb and delivered it to me the following week. Said the power piston was bad. So at the end of the day I got a new saw and case for $110 and wouldn't hesitate to go back to him for other OPE.

-walt

Most every Stihl or Husky I have seen on Craigslist is priced way too high for worn out saws. Same goes for tools.

Maybe I'm in minority, but like getting deals on new stuff, not someone elses junk. Just picked up a new 390XP for $300 discount from a dealer liquidating their stock.

Latest posts

Back