how many here cook with wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I burn about 7-10 full cords of wood cooking every year. Cooking maple syrup, that is... I suppose that's not what we're talking about though.

I cook pretty often on my Morso during the winter. Certainly not exclusively, but when it's hot and I'm cooking, we usually work together.

On the topic of wood cook stoves in summer heat, though, I learned a great term for softwood: "biscuit wood". The name coming from when wood was used for cooking, and the cook needed to heat the oven to make biscuits but didn't want a lasting fire. Softwood or biscuit wood was the firewood of choice. That's pretty much what I refer to softwood as now. When I remember anyways.
My wife's Dad did about the same thing in Connecticut. He collected and burned more soft wood making maple syrup than he did heating the house.

The "softwood" that I collect today is for campfires that people burn at the parks -- cottonwood, willow, soft maple, linden, etc. Unfortunately, they use that for cooking also and ignore my oak, hickory, locust, hard maple, ash, and so on.

ONLY if it get's moisture in it... Keep the water out, and it will not get bacteria in it.

SR
Yep...and ever fueling station out there has some amount of water in its tanks. Long before it got in your dry building in a water tight container it was in some leaky tank in the ground.

My dad was involved in a lawsuit with a large truck stop chain over contaminated No.2 fuel , turns out a small percentage of water is acceptable and inevitable. The 1-2% my dads trucks had in their tanks was way too much! This is with diesel , K1 is a whole lot less monitored and doesn't see near the filtration of road grade fuel.

I pretty much ruined a 20hp honda from water in the gas. I bought a new can at the station and filled it with gas. When I poured it into the small engine tank, the motor ran for a few minutes and then died. Never did get it cranked back. Turns out the gas was more water than gas. I poured some of it on the ground and couldnt even set it on fire. As for the kero, I only have a 5 gal can of the stuff, I can use it burning brush and refill the can for emergency fuel.

I don't know about the kero or diesel YOU guys buy, but I can say for sure that I've kept kero and diesel for a LONG time without having water or bio problems...

I have a can of kero in my deer blind right now, I'd have no problem pouring it right into my tractor, if needed and I bet you it would be just fine.

Kero keeps just fine...

SR

I pretty much ruined a 20hp honda from water in the gas. I bought a new can at the station and filled it with gas. When I poured it into the small engine tank, the motor ran for a few minutes and then died. Never did get it cranked back. Turns out the gas was more water than gas. I poured some of it on the ground and couldnt even set it on fire. As for the kero, I only have a 5 gal can of the stuff, I can use it burning brush and refill the can for emergency fuel.

Drain it out and it will run. Couple weeks ago I put diesel in the gas engine that runs a conveyor. Was in a red gas can and right by the conveyor. I didn't even notice the smell (I can barely smell most of the time, bad alergies) noticed after a bit that it didn't sound right.

Drained out the tank, filled it with gas and all was fine.

Drain it out and it will run. Couple weeks ago I put diesel in the gas engine that runs a conveyor. Was in a red gas can and right by the conveyor. I didn't even notice the smell (I can barely smell most of the time, bad alergies) noticed after a bit that it didn't sound right.

Drained out the tank, filled it with gas and all was fine.
not this one, I kept spraying either in it until it caught fire and melted the plastic. Plastic on a honda cost more than a new engine

This is our hunting camp where almost nothing has changed in over 60 years. (ok, the electric knife is newer than 60 years)

What County ?

I really enjoy cooking with wood, but can not do it during the summer or during the dryer times of the year. Here in California where as we have had several years of marginal rain fall camp fires are frowned upon. Five years ago I automatically got the fire pit started up for some coffee and it became a habit. Now some drizzle and clouds have moved it so it is back to good times. Watching the sun coming up with your fire glowing and a fresh cup of coffee is hard to beat. It is really hard for me to roast a chicken just right in a gas stove, but my dog and I agree they always turn out just right with a small bed of Oak coals and some tin foil. Thanks

What County ?

Western edge of Lycoming, Near the cross road called Lucullus - we could throw acorns into Clinton county where we usually do our hunting.
Executive Retreat.jpg

Look familiar? We had a dead tree rustler, that was caught, prosecuted, and paid double indemnity, covering our electric bill for at least a year. State Police told us, if we had a "No Trespassing" sign he could have been prosecuted for that too. So, we posted the remains of our tree till we could get back up when the ground wasn't so soft and take the rest of the tree to the relatively safe confines of behind our cabin.

ONLY if it get's moisture in it... Keep the water out, and it will not get bacteria in it.

SR
even that aint true..why??? ive been pulling fuel oil,,out of barrels in basements for number of years..one in a dentists basement,,they knew to be there over 30 yrs.. when I went to pull the oil out,,1/3 of the barrel was water..long story...the oil ran fine in the powerstroke...:D:D and about three months ago, I got 170 gallon out of a barrel that sat outside. no 1 oil...water in bottom,,no algae,,burnt great....

4 dollar propane and 17 cent electricity, you bet we cook with wood. Any time it isn' t too hot we have fire in the kitchen stove for breakfast at least. Usually I just nuke leftovers for lunch, then supper may or may not cook on wood, depending on weather and how late we get started on it.

During the winter months we will put a pot of beans or soup on the wood stove. FLEC has gotten better but 10 years ago our power went off so often out here it was reassuring to know you did have a way to cook indoors if you had to.

During the winter months we will put a pot of beans or soup on the wood stove. FLEC has gotten better but 10 years ago our power went off so often out here it was reassuring to know you did have a way to cook indoors if you had to.
I have even made a grill that I can use to cook taters and steak on the wood stove because the front doors open wide enough. I'd post Pics but Photobucket crashed. Maybe later.

Latest posts

Back