How many hours can one expect from a Stihl ms660?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No not too much. Once you go east of me a little ways it becomes a lot more wooded, just not where I live.

I tinker with saws as a hobby, but don't actually have a tremendous use for a lot of saw firepower for my personal needs.

No not too much. Once you go east of me a little ways it becomes a lot more wooded, just not where I live.

I tinker with saws as a hobby, but don't actually have a tremendous use for a lot of saw firepower for my personal needs.

Well here in the DC area land is cleared with huge machines, not chainsaws. Heck they can clear acres and acres in no time flat. The machines they use must cost a bundle but boy the tree lasts about 30 seconds and its gone. No market here for sawyers, only arborists and scapers....

Ohhh ok. I cannot imagine there would be too much wooded land left in the DC area.

Near Dc your right but there are alot of tracks yet to be developed. If you google Loudoun County Va, where I am you will see the home boom has been going wild. Thousands of acres of farm land and woods have been turned into housing developments. These big time outfits come in here with huge machines that can clear land in a hurry, they go acres a day, a tree is nothing more than a tooth pick to these machines they use..

Ok thats interesting. I have never been out east, so I'm not familiar with the area. Out of curiousity I'll google Loudoun County, Va.

Just out of curiosity, in the top picture the stump looks to have been notched on three sides. What technique was that and did it control the way the tree fell or was the tree obviously leaning in and just needed some help to hit the ground?

that tree was 6'5" across the stump at the widest point. i cut it with a 24" bar, it was an oak, therefore i had to have the heart all the way cut out of it to keep it from splitting. therefore i cut the notches, came up about 1-2" from the undercut of the notch and bored out the heart. thus allowing me to cut a 77" tree with a 24" bar and not pull the heart out of it

sorry, got the pics mixed up, the above post is concerning the bigger white oak. now as for your ? that is called spur cutting....bore out the entire heart of the tree...leaving these spurs holding. go in and cut the downhill side spurs before the tree sits down on the chainsaw bar. and then cut the back spur-releasing your tree. this allows the tree to freefall. and the entire heart of the tree if cut out, thus no fiber pull. this is often how i cut high grade trees. this pic of of a veneer white oak.

Dayumm good point there. Maintain it and it will go and go. Abuse it and won't last nearly as long as it could have. Durn Treeco your showing you know ya stuff tonite..

:hmm3grin2orange:

oilllllllllllllll! syn or dino, good gas / or 87 4 month old stuff! 50:1 or 40:1 ..

I think I deserve a NOVA here :)

Back