How many hours per cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends if I'm drinking beer or not. If I'm drinking...not much.

This gave me a laugh as I know a few guys like this.

Splitting is too much like hard work for me to drink. I get dehydrated really quickly if I toss them back during physical activity. And I know two people who lost fingers in wood splitters so I don't want to be that guy.

Copious amounts of Beam do wonders to chase away aches and pains after a long day in the woods though. :)

The one time I actually kept track I did 13 cords in 50 hours which comes to a little under 4 hours a cord. I was falling, dragging them out with my truck into a field, limbing them and making a brush pile, dragging them to bucking area and tossing splits into a pile.

It takes me forever. I'm giving my 16 year old saw time so things move at a slow pace. Also my 8 year old now has a Carhart, work boots, and leather gloves so he's in the assembly line for stacking. But i figure it's a good time investment for the day I can look out the window and watch them make trees into heat.

• Sent from my screen to yours.

I can cut two pickup loads worth of 18 inch logs in 3.5 hours, thats with the trees down were they have been waiting for me to come buck them up for the last couple years. Its a 45 minute drive, then splitting time. Its interesting to read everyones take on splitting in the timber vs at the wood lot. Thats what im tryin to figure out. The timber i cut is so far away from the house, i can't haul the splitter behind the old Ford truck bed trailer, so i split back here. Lately i have started just loading and hauling limbs of hedge, but they dont stack right and I can't get as much in a load, so im back to cutting those to 18-20 inch rounds. Whatever your doing, your getting in shape, and thats more than any fast food worker can say.

It takes 5 of us about two hrs to process each cord. That's with my fil droppin each tree and limbing it. I buck it, my 13 and 15 yr old boys load it onto a trailer and drive the quad about 1/4 mile through rocky and muddy terrain. They also unload it and my bil splits it.

Between 10-12 hours for me, on my one. This is loading logs in sawhorse, bucking logs, loading trailer, unloading/stack rounds, splitting by hand, loading from a pile (sometimes straight from splitting into trailer), unloading/stacking. That is without the driving times but everything is 12" long and split small. A cord sure takes a lot of 12" sticks! This year I'm gonna do a part 16", for own use. Would be nice to have some company from time to time, probably a big difference in time also.

I want to change my way of working to loading the logs completely with a little crane (handle 1 log instead or 8 smaller logs, and a few logs at once), unload with crane (partly onto sawhorses, +-1cord at once), bucking, splitting and loading onto a pallet, partly unload pallets (haven't got enough pallets for all the wood) in a stacking area somewhere else. It should improve my efficiency and using the little crane should make it easy for me. Going to do some try-runs in February. I can also load the pallets for delivery, just gonna need more pallets!

Last edited:
Between 10-12 hours for me, on my one. This is loading logs in sawhorse, bucking logs, loading trailer, unloading/stack rounds, splitting by hand, loading from a pile (sometimes straight from splitting into trailer), unloading/stacking. That is without the driving times but everything is 12" long and split small. A cord sure takes a lot of 12" sticks! This year I'm gonna do a part 16", for own use. Would be nice to have some company from time to time, probably a big difference in time also.

I want to change my way of working to loading the logs completely with a little crane (handle 1 log instead or 8 smaller logs, and a few logs at once), unload with crane (partly onto sawhorses, +-1cord at once), bucking, splitting and loading onto a pallet, partly unload pallets (haven't got enough pallets for all the wood) in a stacking area somewhere else. It should improve my efficiency and using the little crane should make it easy for me. Going to do some try-runs in February. I can also load the pallets for delivery, just gonna need more pallets!

I need more pallets too! I put a truck bed crane in my truck, helps with the big heavy logs. Harbor Freight had them on sale on black friday so couldn't beat it.

Back