How many knots do you really need to know?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 ropes joined at the ends Zeppelin bend not 2 bowlines.
Midline bowline is used a lot and clove hitchs. Oh oh and a hatchet knot at least that's what I call the ball of nonsense the groundys send up.

I don't tie to rig i use a big steele beaner ...and a marlin bend .

Jolly & I may be talking about a similar arrangement.

In this application I call it a cat's paw rather than a girth hitch. (See photo) Start with a double bowline, but rather than just loop the bight of the bowline over the ball, which makes for one tight bend--a weak point--the cat's paw distributes the stress over a greater portion of the rope, makes a stronger attachment.

View attachment 365965
Great idea …. Always tie a double bowline never a single. Without a load single can loosen …

That tiny list isn't enough. You cannot effectively tie two lines together with any of those knots, and none of them work for a mid-line knot.

I guess if your talent set does not include needing mid-line knots or joining two ropes, then you won't need those kind of knots. If you limit the knots you are willing to learn, in my humble opinion, then you are limiting your ability to do your job.

So far, no one has mentioned a good knot for tying onto the ball/hitch of a pickup so that it is as strong as possible, and will not ever bind up. If you think it's a bowline, you are not making the best choice.
That tiny list has served me well and it's never stopped me from completing a job because I didn't know a particular knot. I don't often tie two lines together. I will have the proper length of rope for the particular task.

Square knot .... Best knot for marrying rope .
With a dynamic load, the square knot is the deadliest knot (aside from the granny or thief).
Even when tied correctly the square knot can walk if theres shock load or vibration. If you ever use a square, back it up with a few half hitches.
Try the Figure-8 Follow Through instead.

My Electrician Apprentices are required to learn the following knots:
Bowline
Clove
Clove with 1/2-hitche(s) for pulling wire
Truckers hitch
Double sheet bend
Figure-8
Sheep shank
Cats paw
Square - I've placed this last because of what's mentioned in the previous reply. Use a double sheet bend or figure-8 follow through.

When they tell me they're not scouts, why all the knots, I reach into my pocket and grab my truck keys and say you're going to the supply house. I tell them I don't want to see the company truck on the evening news with material spilled all over the highway. The driver is responsible for securing the load.

For those mentioning digging at the rope with screwdrivers and hitting it with hammers, may as well use the pocket knife. Do I understand that sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do? Yes. I also know the damage done to the rope.....
If there's ever a reportable accident every inch of those ropes could get inspected and become evidence as well as training qualifications.

That tiny list has served me well and it's never stopped me from completing a job because I didn't know a particular knot. I don't often tie two lines together. I will have the proper length of rope for the particular task.

I just realized how old this thread is. Need more coffee.

Yes! An old thread to which you very rudely responded to me previously. In fact, you called me a moron from whom you didn't need to learn any knots.
(Don't bother looking for it, either! It was deleted for "name calling".)

I like your latest response much better. :rolleyes:

Yes! An old thread to which you very rudely responded to me previously. In fact, you called me a moron from whom you didn't need to learn any knots.
(Don't bother looking for it, either! It was deleted for "name calling".)

I like your latest response much better. :rolleyes:
I apologize for my first response. It was out of order.

Eh. I may have the thickest skin on this website. Is ok. My feelings never got hurt.
I didn't even remember the conversation until someone else dug it up.

I just revisited an old thread in the forestry forum from 2017. OMG they did a lot of name calling back then. None of that content would pass the filters now.

We've tied a thousand and one bowlines/running bowlines, under heavy load and taking more shock than they should, never seen one fail. Ever.
Pull a half in rope on a big tree with a truck using a Bowline and I bet it will break at the Bowline . Not saying a Bowline isn't great I use them every day at work.

What a hoot. Your chart confirms my use of the Timber hitch. Actually, that is the strongest knot/hitch, if you discount the splices.

Unfortunately, your chart doesn't include a marl nor "half hitch", so we don't know for sure where that plays into the scale of things.

One of the keys to knot strength as well as other general rigging is: D/d
Diameter ratios divide the force. Better to double up that rope so the curve absorbs and spreads out the tension.
For anyone using chokers, don't draw the eye tight to the strap. Don't karate chop it in tight to the load which concentrates force.
Screenshot_20220829-174414_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Latest posts

Back