How many of you wear eye protection ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started shooting competitively, I got used to eye and hearing protx. Mainly because the ranges require it, but I realized that all the older reprobates I shoot with are deaf as posts, as they grew up in a different era.
Once I started in with power equipment, the hearing protx went along as well. After a few close calls with a weedeater, I realized I'd have to give up shooting if I lost my eyesight, so eye protx for everything now. Also, as mentioned previously, I like looking at boobies as well!

It's funny; I have a 5-lense set of interchangeable RX shooting glasses that cost me a bit under $1000. But I use the old clunky clear $2 ones sold by the 12 pack when cutting or other power tools. But, I don't need to adjust RX or for light conditions/background contrast when I'm cutting. I can also say that while my shooting glasses have been hit (mainly by shot ricochet from trees) more than several times over a decade of shooting 30k rounds per year, my cutting glasses have been hit almost EVERY time I cut. I also suffer from cutting a lot in the wind and you can't squint enough to keep swirling sawdust out of your eyes.

In contrast to the $1k shooting glasses, I use the $3.00 3M plugs from Lowes for shooting and cutting. The plugs work fine for shooting, but you have to be careful when using them for cutting. Around here, we LOVE black locust for HardyStoves. Unfortunately, so does poison ivy. It wraps around locust like big gorilla arms, all hairy and gnarled. Whenever we've been on a poison ivy tree, I just strip off the coveralls, gloves etc and throw straight in the washer on HOT setting. The problems come when you forget yourself and use that hand (and the glove covered in poison ivy oil) to take out your earplugs from time to time. Yes, right now, my ears look like a mangy dog and itch like hell.
I've also started using welders gloves for poison ivy wood. The long cuffs keep the poison ivy chips from getting between your sleeve and glove. Just remember to use coveralls with pocket flaps so you don't take home a grocery bag full of saw chips oozing poison ivy oil.

And then there are bees nests...and curious bears...but that's another thread.

I swear my eyes are magnets when it comes to running a chainsaw.. I have crawled to the truck several times to look in the mirror to remove chunks of sawdust out of my eyes.. Back in the 80's I cut pulp wood and of course no one on the crew had any sort of eye protection .. (Or chaps ) I would wear my sunglasses to help keep the mess out of my eyes.. I just dont see how so many saw men can run a saw all day with no glasses or face shield .. Sometimes I wear both if the wind is bad.. Just this evening I had a knot about 3 inches in dia I had to trim.. I figured for the 5-6 seconds it was gonna take I could get by with out my glasses on.. Oh heck no.. Not half way through the cut a shaving 3/8 long went square into my left eye.. Off to the truck mirror I went...[/QUOTE

Working with wood is my 2nd and 3rd job. I make my living as a Paramedic/Firefighter. The injuries that are possible and do happen can be life changing for some people. I've heard all of the excuses given for not wearing protection. After seeing 1st hand some of these injuries I can say for myself that I always wear the proper PPE when working with saws. So to make my job easier as well as EMTs in your location please use protection. Thank you

Just got Bugz mesh goggles- no fog and stay on. Seemed to work well. Stihl promark helmet with ear muffs and mesh screen, stihl promark chaps, steel toes boots, hunter orange safety vest

I need prescription glasses so I have some oversized frames (they looked fine in the 80s when I had long hair) with polycarb safety lenses.

I also usually use the safety screen on my hardhat when chainsawing.

I always wear eye protection. I own a welding shop. Even if I walk through the shop & someone is grinding on something, safety glasses. cutting wood is no different. always be safe,it takes no longer.

Glasses all the time. I use a face screen most of the time also. The face shield is just extra help. It does not replace the glasses according to OSHA. Just putting this out there for anyone who cuts commercially. From what I've read, they have to have Z87 stamped on them. Not sure if the "bugs" actually meet that.

I know this: every time I do not wear safety glasses, I get smacked hard in the eye! totally disruptive! sawing or trimming. when I do, kinda a creed to do now a days... got this, got that, ok, this... got that... yes, ok... yes... oops, gloves ok, now... where are the safety glasses.? I got plenty, but they got plenty of hiding places. lol. but I ferrit them out. was cutting oak today but while the 026 warmed up, I didn't cut nothing... or leave my pty w/o safety glasses. can be tuff is summer and hot out, sweating, but as I say, a smack in the eye is NO fun!!! :(

Latest posts

Back