How many of you wear eye protection ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This seems like the thread to ask in. Who has a recommendation for a helmet/visor without earmuffs? I have custom molded earplugs I'd prefer to use instead.

I wear eye protection when I'm using any kind of power saw: Chainsaw, Circular Saw, Table Saw, Sawzall, Jigsaw. Also when I'm using my Weedeater, and backpack blower.

This seems like the thread to ask in. Who has a recommendation for a helmet/visor without earmuffs? I have custom molded earplugs I'd prefer to use instead.
just get one of the husky stihl , helmets..the ear muffs are removable..

There seems to be a lot of the PSP cookie cutters wearing absolutely no gear at all. No glasses, chaps, lid with or without screen, and who knows if they've got steel toes on.

Seems like asking for trouble in my opinion.

I always wear my woodsman helmet and my Ansi approved safety prescription glasses with side shields. Saved myself a lot of grief by doing so I don't know how many times I've had big sharp things bounce off my glasses or helmet shield but it's a lot.

I always wear chaps, steel toe boots and a hard hat (if I am felling or climbing). I should probably wear glasses as I have been to the hospital several times to have objects removed from the eyes. I absolutely hate glasses though.

I bought a pair of Stihl safety glasses with an amber lens that enhances my acuity in low light. They've become second nature, often staying on even on my breaks for some log sitting with my pup.

20151205_140931.jpg

Notice the hearing protection is pulled out as soon as the saw/leaf vac/line trimmer is shut off. Also notice the leash on my pup - he stays tied to a tree a safe distance from me and saw when I am cutting. Otherwise, he is on full alert and patroling a perimeter to keep the wildlife at bay.

I own chaps, helmet with screen and muffs. I make decisions on wearing them based on totally non-empirical metrics. In other words, I have no good excuse for not using them all the time, but I don't.

...I'd rather not pay for parts I don't need if there's another option...

You can always go to any home improvement store... Menards, Homo Depot, Lowe's, etc... and buy a hardhat for about $7 and goggles for about $3 if you're on a budget. :)

I'm a fire wood hack....I always wear good chaps steel toes good ear protection and my Oakley gascan shades z87. I've been hurt to many times wearing the right stuff not to wear it. I have the scars and titanium to prove it.

I buy safety squints by the dozen, still seem to never find a pair or end up with a pair that are scratched to hell.
Couple months ago I even put a pair by all the grinders, in each vehicle, in the 2 skid steers, couple pairs in my toolbox on the processor.
Think I can find any now? Nope.
Almost as bad as gloves!

You can always go to any home improvement store... Menards, Homo Depot, Lowe's, etc... and buy a hardhat for about $7 and goggles for about $3 if you're on a budget. :)
It's not a budget issue necessarily; I don't mind spending money to get good quality stuff. It's more that I'm averse to buying pieces I won't use. It feels wasteful. I know it's weird. Probably learned it from my dad, who grew up during the 1930s depression and never bought anything he didn't really need.

I wear cheap sunglasses/safety glass made by 3M. I get them at Lowes for like 8 bucks. I wear them and my Mac-T cutting timber or cutting fire wood. They don't fog up to bad. Plus I'd rather wipe them off than dig saw dust outta my eyes.

Back