How much bar oil is correct?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta say this went way out of hand. Perhaps a call to a engineer at Husqvarna or Stihl is in order? :popcorn2:

Even that does not work. I posted some engineering notes from Stihl and the saw modders here just claimed that the engineers do not know what they are designing. Brush Apes like the OP are just here to stir the shyte anyway, they do not want a real answer.

The poor guy just doesn't know that its an unwritten rule that a new comer is forbidden to split the oil atom in any way , shape or form.
Ta

Look dude I'm not a rocket sientest or ect. but I know enuff to know that unless your always cutting the same type of wood with bout the same moisture you will be constatly be changing the oil output. As pointed out a good rule of thumb is tank of oil to tank of gas. If you go with that you shouldn't have any bar or chain probs and no oil puddles under saw after use. The experts on down to the average joe home owner has used that rule for prob 50+ years. I fig if good nuff for me if thats what the experts go with. If you want something other than that like another member said you should prob call one of the saw manufacturers and talk to one of the enginiers. :)

Is this whats left after everyone run out the door, a bunch of culls that can't work out how to use oilers on saws.:cold: Sheez it was worth hanging round for threads like this. The As search engine will soon resemble a cesspool of schizophrenic wacko how to threads about nothing of any use to anyone. Kinda sux seeing what's happening to this place. The normal sane members are staying away while the crazies all come out to play.

I always aim for nearly a full tank of oil per tank of gas. IMO there's no advantage to use any less oil. That amount of oil should be appropriate for the size of bars the saw is rated for. Just as long as your chips don't look like this...

did the we todd leave ( donna ) i run mine all the way up and i use stihl bar oil id rather buy the oil than a bar and chain donna (we todd) is probably one of those tree hugger green people who think while the bar is smoking its inscents

If I am the one selling you your bars and chains I say you need to use as little as possible. Keep adding a bit more oil until it stops getting hot. Also make sure your chain is nice and snug or really lose. Not in between.

Ok, I'd never heard that part about the chain tightness before, and........... I can't tell if you were joking or not.

I had thought that with medium/short bars you wanted to be able to lift the chain up off the bar and be able to see the bottom of the drive link in the center/middle of the bar. And looser than that for longer bars.

Wide open...if you're using a bar recommended for the saw wide open is fine. If you want to run a 16" bar on a 395xp wide open is gonna make a mess.

Common sense goes a long ways.

#patheticbuddies

Back