How much did you burn this winter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 2 1/2 cord last winter and just under 3 cord this year so far. The big difference is that last year's wood was a mix of stuff that was scrounged and was definitely not primo wood for the most part. This year was almost all BL with a little cherry.
Just a guess but probably 50% more BTU this year over last.

I have no idea how much I burned but I know I ran out and stop burning in early april. Everyone that saw my wood pile always commented that I had a plenty of wood. Best guess is over 10 cords. I guess that wasnt enough. The furnace just kicked on and I am now in full scrounge mode. Luckily I have 4 hardwoods that need to come down in the back yard to make room my shed. Nothing like back yard wood. After that I need to start stock piling as much as possible.

Got a 1 day reprieve it hit 62* yesterday. Today it's 22*- windy and snowed 3". I consider it next years heating season, beginning NOW. At least there is July 4th to look forward too.

I keep 5-7 years ahead and don't keep track. I have enough to worry about, don't need to add any more to it. There isn't much you can do about how much wood you burn. But you can sure do something about how much wood you have available to burn.[/QUOTE

5-7 years ahead is impressive. How many cords do you figure you have total? Where do you store it?
I can keep about a year and half supply under cover. What I burn isn't primo stuff so I am leery about not having it covered somehow. So I don't want to get too far ahead.

I heat entirely with wood. My LP furnace never kicks in. Normally I burn around 5 full cords a year (15 face cords). This year I burned 25 face cords ! ! !

Usually we burn 10-11 cords, this year probably 13 or a bit more, we are still burning. Thats 24-7 from Sept to May heating house, shop and water.

I own a 2 story, 100+ year old farmhouse, and I heat it with a Queen Atlantic wood cook stove. Not as efficient as a modern stove, but after some modifications, it does a decent job. In an average winter we burn about 7 cords. Wood, and space is not an issue as I have a 52 acre woodlot. I have about 20 cord split and stacked most of the time. I keep 20 cord or so on my landing, and replace the wood burned each winter with another stack( sometimes 2) from the landing . I do cover the top of every stack in the winter. Once a stack is properly dried I keep a top covering on, year round.

30 to 50% increase in fuel usage this winter over last is what I'm hearing from everyone, whether wood, coal, NG, propane...
30 to 50% more heating degree days. It ain't rocket surgery.When all you have is wood to heat with, just make sure you have enough.
I am rethinking my stance on top-covering this year, however. Having to use the splitting maul a few times to break apart the frozen stacks was not fun. There were a couple of times I could have knocked the pile over and picked the whole thing up with the forks on the tractor. o_O

But what about all the global warming doomsday clowns??? It should be so hot by now we shouldn't need to cut firewood!!!!??? I usually burn 2 1/2 cord, burnt just over 3 this year. Wood shed is already filled up again though, I had to break in the new 550XP somehow.:):)

Not actually sure since most of my wood was just thrown into a big pile and not actually stacked , I'm guessing between 3 and 4 cord and had to cut into next years supply. Have been working hard to restock what I used and should be in pretty good shape for next year ; currently have just short of 5 cord cut , split and stacked and another cord or so to add to the pile and certainly will be getting more as time goes on.

I am so glad this is over , Oh yeah ; except last nights suprise. Give me a break!!

Right about 3 cord burned. Though I have not had to burn much at all this month of April. So, just about the amount I'd have thought, given the colder than normal winter.

Closing on 8 cords - about 3 cords of elm, 1 1/2 of oak, and the rest a mix of "junk" - cottonwood, pine, etc. I'm working on my last 1/2 cord of cottonwood right now.

I've got 2+ cords cut and hauled home waiting to be split, it's covered in white crap again today. More coming in the next few weeks - lots more. I'll be behind on the drying curve again after 2 years of having real nice dry stuff. I got complacent for a while when I had lots of wood on hand, then this winter's deep snow and bitter cold pretty much kept me out of the woods all winter.

I'll be sweating putting up wood this spring/summer, but I got no one to point the finger at except the guy in the mirror.

around 10 cord this year and still going strong. I don't see much of a break for awhile. I thought that I was on a locomotive for most of the winter and it was going up hill all the way.

Are most of you guys using boilers? I almost put one in the house I just bought but the great state of Indiana makes you install a phase2 boiler and I just couldn't justify 9000$ over the 3000$ one in jad ordered from timberwolf. So I went old school like my old man and installed a hot blast 1557 add on furnace for 1200. I struggle to even have coals in the morning or when I get off work. Any suggestions? I burned so much wood I couldn't even accurately guess. Basically I burned the 5 cord I had and made numerous trips to the old mans stash hahaha

In addition to how much you burned this year, I'd like to know how much you burned last year. I did some improvements to my house and expected to use a lot less wood. I still used less this year in spite of the extreme cold we had. Just not as much of a savings as I'd hoped for. If everyone usage is up though, I can use your numbers to plan for next year.

I used 30 cords last year, and I was wrapping it up by may 1st.

I'm up to 23 cords this year and there's no end in sight!

I'm assuming that you are also heating a shop with your boiler?

Back