How much did you burn this winter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around 2 full cords, which is about right for me most years. I would have thought it would be more, given the winter we just endured, but I didn't burn sun-up to bedtime as often as in the past I suppose. I've got 2 full cords left for summer evening firepit gatherings and next winter now and will get started scrounging before too long.

Normally around 3-4 cords give or take. But since I blew in insulation into my attic and remolded my home, I cut my consumption in half this yr.:) Im very surprised considering the Cold this winter. Ive still got 2 cord sitting outside I need to put up before May.

From November till now, 6 cords of wood and 2 tons of coal in my OWB.
ART
From November till now, 6 cords of wood and 2 tons of coal in my OWB.
Art Give me a quick rundown on your boiler and the coal type and vol you used this season. Ive been using Kimmels stove size in my DS aqua gem. its really helped with extra heat and burn times. thx Luke

I've hit almost 7 cord in our 2500 sqft Victorian. It's embarrassing on the amount of wood, but we didn't use any propane. Many around us ran out wood quite some time ago.

I'm right at 4 1/2 cords so far, will be 5 before stove is put to bed for summer. Heating a 1700 sq ft house with crummy insulation a not so good windows, they are thermopane however. Think we would do better with a newer model stove, I hate to say EPA but our neighbors with new stoves show major wood savings.

Third year burning now. This year was 17 cord (128 c ft). Last year was 12 and year before was 15. Still two years worth already stacked and ready. The rest of my splitting this year will be given away to charity. Hope to give away 10 to 15 cord.

That's kikin cellulose bootay!

I don't do that much, but I keep putzing away at it. My goal is kinda sorta twice what I burn a year which is only 3-5 cord, this was a five cord winter. I'm just this week and next finishing up all the rounds I cut more than a year ago, and starting on stuff I cut this year (winter), then soon go back to cutting some more. I get a little dry window sometime in the winter, then in summer another dry cutting window. I just don't like cutting and dragging wood around in the mud. So, I wait until the ground is semi solid. Then I split when I feel like it, sometimes every day, other times if it is nasty out, meh. I'm years ahead so no biggee.

So I went old school like my old man and installed a hot blast 1557 add on furnace for 1200. I struggle to even have coals in the morning or when I get off work. Any suggestions? I burned so much wood I couldn't even accurately guess. Basically I burned the 5 cord

I have a Norseman 2500, went thru 6 cords before i ran out in early march and realized i can't keep up with that much wood usage. So i bought me a stove for next winter to hopefully cut way back on the wood. Now i just have to get it installed. I thought i was the cats meow when i got that Norseman, now not so much.

This season I burned about 4 cords of Pine/Doug Fir mix, 1/2 cord of mill ends, and about a ton of coal. I am heating a 40 foot fifth wheel trailer with an outdoor forced air furnace. Will burn about another cord of white fir snags before summer hits.

Third year burning now. This year was 17 cord (128 c ft). Last year was 12 and year before was 15. Still two years worth already stacked and ready. The rest of my splitting this year will be given away to charity. Hope to give away 10 to 15 cord.
Charity? That's pretty awesome! I'd be happy to give some of your wood a good home.

12 cords here in CT. In a cold valley with lots of tree cover so the sun doesn't help much. You can guess where those trees are going as the years go by, right?
:chainsaw: :chop::blob2:

Got about 2.5 cords cut and split for next year but now we have this darn polar vortex and lingering cold... I keep having to raid the pile. We've been burning green (whatever ash I can scrounge out of it) for like 3 weeks now. Totally underestimated how much we'd need this year.

In addition to how much you burned this year, I'd like to know how much you burned last year. I did some improvements to my house and expected to use a lot less wood. I still used less this year in spite of the extreme cold we had. Just not as much of a savings as I'd hoped for. If everyone usage is up though, I can use your numbers to plan for next year.

I used 30 cords last year, and I was wrapping it up by may 1st.

I'm up to 23 cords this year and there's no end in sight!

Looks like Joesell is our winner if he can post up his current level on the "who burned the most" thread....

Latest posts

Back