How much do you burn in 24hrs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use wood and supliment with natural gas, I'll probably use 3 cords to heat our 1800 sq ft ranch. I love that it's 75 inside when The temps are lows of 5below and my neighbor's furnace can be heard constantly when taking my dogs outside:)

Dave

I love that it's 75 inside when The temps are lows of 5below and my neighbor's furnace can be heard constantly when taking my dogs outside:)

Dave

Yep, I noted my neighbor's heat pump going when I was bringing wood in last night. You know when it's 12 out that the "emergency heat" light is on and his meter is whistling an unsympathetic tune.

His perspective is probably something like "He's out there in the cold bringing more wood in and I'm watching the game on the big screen."
My thinking is, 'he's probably watching the game in a sweater, while I am hanging out in my skivvies.

Ian

Jan/Feb rate, if I'm home during the day, is 1/4 cord / week for 650s.f. ... yes, terribly inefficient stove but I have far more time & wood right now then money to invest in an upgrade.

Less if I'm working away from home and I'm gone for 8 to 12 hours so the stove isn't being fed.

That's burning Red Maple which makes up the majority of my firewood. Have a feeling by the time I finish cutting all the Red Maple out, I'll die and someone will buy a place with a really nice Oak / Ash / Hickory woodlot surrounding it :D

When I'm burning Ash and Red Oak, I do notice a reduction in wood consumption that roughly corresponds to their having 1/3rd more BTUs/cord.

For the entire year, I burn something like 3 to 4 cords. Even well into December and by the end of March I'll be having a lot of fires that I need to use kindling to restart as I let them burn out during the day.

We use around a a wheelbarrow load a day not heaped. I have an area a 1/6th of a cord where we stack our wood. That lasts about 4 to 5 days in this weather. When temps are warmer that same load will last a week or more. Dad has an older stove and his house is much smaller and he burns about 2-55 gallon barrels of wood a day. This year we will be in the 5.5 to 6 cord mark.

My consumption is about the same as yours. A mix of oak, ash, cherry, maple, black walnut, and elm. 2000 sq ft, 10 year old, 2 story home. Insulation and windows are to that 10 year old standard. I burn 24/7,

I have a typical nat gas furnace in the home, but try not to use it. I think the wife has used it a few times when I was out of town for suppliment. She just can't seem to get the insert to kick out the heat like I do.

I am about half way through this seasons wood supply. I figure I am pretty much right on, but, we did have a mild november. KD

So I am chewing through a lot of wood for sure. We do keep the house pretty warm though:wink:

The wall thermometer says 79 at the moment... LOL.. that's the room with the stove though, I imagine the bedroom is 10f cooler.

Ian

Well with the Blaze King heating 1300 sq ft no floor insulation at an average temp of 0 deg and high winds I burn six pieces of quartered 16" long elm keeping the house at 75 plus, and it will last 36 hours on average as long as I can keep the girl friend from turning the knob up!!! LOL Anyway Love the cat stove!:clapn:

Hmm.. about 2 cu ft.. so a cord would last you about 2 months based upon that.

That sure would be nice if it lasted that long with the temps like they are now.

That figure was just an average since the first fire last October and much of that month was just a few splits every day or so to take the chill off.
Much more being used now. Just trying to get a handle on how much the new stove uses so have kept running total since the first fire of the season.

1480 sq ft

I have a pallet by the door I have to fill up every 5 days or so, with oak, chestnut, b walnut, beech, maple, ironwood, poplar, plenty of good wood right now. pallet gets 2 ricks about 3' high. Or, 1 grapple load. 600 sq ft drafty trailer. If I'm not careful, it gets over 90 degrees when it's in the 20's outside. But if the fire goes out, upper 40's, brrrrr

On second thought, add black locust to the mix. I had to check. have a few standing dead ones I'll be pulling down tomorrow. Score!

Last edited:
I have a wood customer that burns a half a cord a day, no kidding! He uses a Hardy owb heating a non insulated morton style bldg about 40x50 and a seperate welding shop that is about 20x30. He fills the damn thing at 8am, 11am,4:30pm and comes back to fill it between 11 and 12 at night. Last year total seasons he burned over 70 cords of wood. He by far is our #1 customer. I've told him it would be cheaper to buy some damn insulation.

My US Stove insert consistently burns exactly 24' sq per week of 20" oak split 6-8" and keeps a leaky 2000' foot house 40-50 degrees above outside temp depending on the wind.

About 2 blue bins a day. Heating about 1800 sq feet. At 22 blue bins per face cord (1/3 cord). I use about a cord (3 face cords) per month. I figured I would use cord and face cord so no one would get all worked up.

Back