How much do you burn in 24hrs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my little "wood hut" by the back door is 48" wide x 48" tall, and one piece deep. i burn one full "hut" per week, though this week i went through it in 6 days. i am heating 900sq ft, and its my only heat source.

Yep, I noted my neighbor's heat pump going when I was bringing wood in last night. You know when it's 12 out that the "emergency heat" light is on and his meter is whistling an unsympathetic tune.

His perspective is probably something like "He's out there in the cold bringing more wood in and I'm watching the game on the big screen."
My thinking is, 'he's probably watching the game in a sweater, while I am hanging out in my skivvies.

Ian

That is so funny. But it is true. I walk around my house in shorts and a t-shirt. I hate visiting a non wood burners house.........its always so darn cold!

Here in the Cascades deep in the national forest I cut/buck 6 cords a year start heating the ranch in Sept through April. Wood stove is made by Country out of Washington and takes 18" with glass door. I burn jack pine and ponderosa and gives great heat and does the job

My wood consumption

Using OWB to heat in two different structures about 5000 sq ft of living space (including basement) at 70 degrees and 2000 ft of barn/shop space with 16 ft ceilings at 45-50 degrees. With current temps in low teens or tens overnight (but minus 7 this morning) we're burning one+ full cord per week (probably 5 total this January). Cutting, hauling, and splitting the wood (oak, ash, soft and hard maple) is keeping me very much alive and well in my seventies and life couldn't be better - not to mention no more oil bills.

1300 sq. ft. ranch, 75% over crawl space, 25% on slab takes around 1/3 cord per week when average temperatures stay in the 20's. With the single digit temperatures we are having currently it seems to be more like 1/2 cord per week. Typical temperature in the house is around 74.

Edit: Just realized the title asks cosumption in 24 hrs. Mine is approximately 6 cu. ft./day normal and 9 cu. ft./day when it is bitter cold.

Last edited:
I've been using an old "recycle bin" which I assume is what people mean by "blue bin" It is pretty close to 2 cubic feet. I average three recycle bins per day but I can easily burn four if it is cold (low teens and below) or windy. That works out just a hair under a face cord per week.

I am heating 2500sf of poorly insulated old farm house with an old VC Defiant "smoke dragon"

Back