How much firewood do I need for next year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My supply has taken a massive hit this season... massive‼
So I was searchin' around for ways to predict what I needed for next year and came across this.
Makes perfect sense to me...

One late fall some Indians on the Northern Plains asked their new chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a chief in a modern society he'd never learned the old ways. So... he faked it... looked at the sky, the trees, pointed out how the animals were workin' hard at preparing, and declared it was indeed going to be a cold winter and that the members of the tribe should collect more firewood.

Not wanting to look bad to the tribe, the next day he hiked up to the trading post, called the National Weather Service and asked, “Is the coming winter going to be cold?”

“It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold,” the meteorologist responded.

So the chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later, he called the National Weather Service again. “Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?”

“Yes,” the meteorologist responded, “it’s going to be a very cold winter.”

The chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find. Two weeks later, the chief called the National Weather Service again, “Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?”

“Absolutely,” the man replied. “It’s looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters we’ve ever seen.”

Now this chief was thinking maybe he could learn something, so next year he could be a bit more specific with his people.
“How in hell can you be so damn sure?” he asked.

The weatherman replied, “Well... ya' see... we've been watchin' the Indians, and they're collecting a $h!tload of firewood.”
:D

Yeah, I know... this ain't the jokes forum... but it is about firewood :rock:

Attachments

• upload_2014-3-10_18-30-34.png
    upload_2014-3-10_18-30-34.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 38
If that's a picture of your house, then no wonder you're burning so darn much wood!

Hmmmmm........ You get rid of the epa stove, back to a smoke dragon and your complaining about using MASSIVE amounts of wood? :dizzy: I think we all know why that is.

IT,S BEEN FREAKING COOOOOLD THIS WINTER!:chop:

The more the better right? I wish I had room to get a couple years ahead. I had 6 cords for this winter have 2 left. No place to stack it around here. I've got about half of the wood for next year done.

How much fire wood do you need? - When there is no longer a need for a mower on your lot is about right. ( course I have a very bad case of FAD and most of us here suffer from it as well in varying degrees.)
The other answer is the 3 year plan - as much as you burned this year +1 cord for next year, ditto + 1 cord for year2, ditto +1 cord for year three. Keep the progression up and you will be sitting pretty after a few years. all pics 291.jpg

The more the better right? I wish I had room to get a couple years ahead. I had 6 cords for this winter have 2 left. No place to stack it around here. I've got about half of the wood for next year done.
You can stack it here. I take some wood as lot fees tho.

Sir,
I have lots of room, you could store your wood here, but it must be split and stacked and seasoned.
Deal?

Latest posts

Back