How much Saw Gas are you using a week?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was just out putting mix in a 5 gallon can to refill after dinner.It got me wundering how much 2 stroke gas everyone else is burning a week?
I load all logs in 16' lengths and run everything under 12" thru the chipper.
So i would imagine I'm burning less 2 stroke than someone who's cutting every thing into firewood length. We are using about 5 gallons a week I think Ive really
never kept track of it before.

it all depends on the jobs........some times i may go through 8-10 gallons in a week other times i'll use 2 gallons in a week. it all depends on how much big wood we have to deal with.

It depends..... But I suppose I average about 3 quarts a week. Sometimes I burn 3 quarts a day but most weeks I do primarily pruning, Silkies and secateurs don't use mch gas-neither does my climbing saw.

DDM said:
A 660 Seems to use alot more Fuel than a MS200 Hmmmmmm Go figure. :p

Interesting assertion, David.
I'd almost say the 66 uses less. Take a log for example, and cut one tankful with the 66, then cut the same amount of wood with the 200. I'd say it takes more gas in the 200 to cut the same amount of wood. Time not being a factor, of course!
But I could be wrong. Might just be an apples to oranges comparison that means nothing.
-Ralph

LOL I'm Like a Golfer i have a different saw for every occasion/Size of wood.If I'm willing
to put up with the weight of a 660 theres know way a 200 would hold a large enough bar to reach thru. Of course my 660 has a 36" bar on it. :)

I didn't mean that you didn't have the right tool for the job. I too have all the bases covered, the saws I hear recommended on this site to cut wood x inches in dia make me laugh sometimes. Every saw has its job on the truck, and when that saw's job is over, I break out another one.

I just thought it was an interesting question, and maybe it needs it's own thread.
For example, most here recommend the 360/361 for cutting 20" wood. Not me, thats what they made 46's and 66's for. But my point is, that by overtasking a smaller saw, are you actually raising costs, and putting more wear and tear on the smaller saw. would the fuel, mix and rebuild savings be enough over the long run be enough to justify a larger saw to begin with? Would the largest saw you could use/afford actually be better in the long run due to fuel and longevity issues?
Like I said, it was an interesting question, and one I don't really have the answer to.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
For example, most here recommend the 360/361 for cutting 20" wood. Not me, thats what they made 46's and 66's for.
-Ralph

LMAO There too heavy 20" wood is getting a 260 with a 20" Bar.It has to be some serious wood for me too haul out a 660. :)

TreeCo said:
I would bet the efficiencies of the 200M and to 066 are about the same. If they are not then one or the other would either put out to many emissions for the EPA or run to hot. The energy in the fuel has to go somewhere.

Where is Simonizer when you need him? He had some interesting formulas on horsepower, rpm and torque posted the other day.

Hmmmm Wouldn't that kinda be like a F-350 V-10 should get the same MPG as toyota with a 4cyl?
Or it takes 2 trips in the toyota to haul what the f-350 does with the same amount of fuel?

Depends on the week. Typically 2 to 6 gallons.

When comparing time between my bigger saws and that of my arborist saws, the larger ones typically consume far more. But this is sometimes an indication of more physical labour. Which isn't always a good thing.

With that said, the true judgement of performance and success is the bank deposit at the end of the day, not how much fuel is burnt!

More power more fuel. USually about 2 gallons a week. This winter with helping some friends with 26" and over diameter oaks, and an old HOmelite xp-1020 with a 30" bar, I'll use about 1 gallon in one day. But if you've got the power it works out in the wash. Even the 064 and 066 are on par with the Homelite but a little more efficient.!

We use about 1.5 gallons per week, most of it seems to get burned by the leaf blower. I tend to do most of my cutting with the silky. We do have a customer we work for thinning 2-3 acres of montane forest per year, of his 72 total. On those days we use 1.5-2 gallons per day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back