How much time-off am I allowed??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last October I cut some standing-dead elm and put it directly in the basement, but I only fired up my saw one time this past winter, to take down the last nuisance walnut long the north edge of the yard. Other than that walnut (about 1 cord) I've got a pile of 8 foot walnut logs (likely around 2 cord) I still need to buck and split one of these days... when I get around to it. For over a year now I've been pretty lazy when it comes to making "firewood" just for the sake of "making" it...

Even after last winter's 7 month long never-ending cold I still have 15 cord stacked and seasoned (11-12 cord of it oak, and much of it 3 years seasoned this fall). I'll likely cut more standing-dead this September/October/November and toss it directly in the basement to supplement the usage from the stacks...

But... exactly how much time-off am I allowed before I get serious again?? Working by my lonesome, with my one little saw, it took 2 years to put-up 20 cord in storage stacks (that's not counting the standing-dead that went directly to the firebox). So... what da' ya' think?? Can I allow myself one more year of sitting back getting fat and soft?? Or should I start hitting it hard again this coming fall/winter/spring?? Well... At least I've got all summer to think about it... :jester:

addendum: Oh... and CRAP! One of my three-year-old stacks has started to lean real hard. Man is that irritating, I'm likely gonna' haf'ta re-stack it 'cause it don't appear it will stand until summer's end.

Last edited:
Slacking is not allowed, as it always bites you in the back side. That said I have 13/14, 14/15,set. 15/16 is stacked and drying but I keep plugging along, I am in a snob mode as far as scrounging is concerned, Another limiting factor is stacking room, getting tight there.
Temps here are going to slide a bit so likely will be firing up the stove to knock chill out of house and that is why slacking isn't allowed. Last year we were being broasted with nary a break This year, so far, we have a few days hit close to 80, but then dump back to the 50's day time which is fine by me.

Well, at least when that three year old stack falls over, you won't have to reach too far to pick up the wood to re-stack. Ask me how I know:wink2:

I say take the summer off , drink some beer, and relax. Sure you might feel a little guilty but that's OK. While you're relaxing, keep an eye out for that skidloader you will "need" to help get caught up again making firewood. Having enough wood for the next 3 years or so is a great feeling, isn't it. Any way as far as that leaning pile, can you just brace it up with 2x4s until fall. It would be a shame to waste good relaxing time restacking wood.

Get yerself a box-o-beer and a fishin' rod, Spidey!!
You gotta leaning stack?? :msp_scared: must of been continental shift or sumthin'??

The fishin' will haf'ta wait for a couple weeks, the river is flooding right now... there were a few streets under water in town last night. But that seems minor after seeing what happened in Oklahoma yesterday... I'd feel down-right petty complaining about the weather here. Anyway, until the river subsides and settles there won't be much fishin' 'round here.

You're right about that stack though... must'a been an earthquake when I was out working on the road :msp_wink:

The "stack" about 35 feet long by 5.5 feet high (around 2 cord), I'm thinking that's a bit more than a "few" fence posts and 2x4s... still, I need to do something I reckon.

Dig a 4' trench along the high side then _judiciously_ remove a bit of dirt from under it until it settles back level. If you take too much out and it leans the other direction, just repeat the trench/remove dirt on the other side....wash, rinse, repeat...

Harry K

Just sell the leaning stack and that should get you in the mood to go out and cut/split more!

No relaxing! No offense, but we are getting older and fatter. This is the time that chances of bad things happening to the body, start increasing. I believe in the ten year rule myself. Almost there, then it's easy to replenish 1 yr at a time.

The reason the one stack is leaning is kind of due to it's age. But more because of those Oklahoma winds (tornado's) It's the after effect!

As for taking time off, nope! Don't do it! The best way to stay in condition is to remain active. So, my suggestion is this, take 10 or 12 cord and load it on however many 54 foot trailers and send it to me. That way you'll have plenty of room for any new wood you would cut n split. See, a perfect solution! Heck, I'll even send y'all the ashes when I'm done. :msp_w00t:

Leaning Stack-O-Firewood,,

Just curious, Spidey,,,and been wonderin' about yer leaning firewood.

When you was cutting that firewood,,did you cut each piece ON the Mingo mark or to the side of the Mingo mark?
,,,,,,and what color of paint did you use in yer Mingo marker?? I think it makes a difference which side of the Mingo mark you cut on,,and the color of paint.
Also, I bet if'n you used yer Moisture Meter you'd find the moisture content is higher on one end of the wood,,that's why it's leanin'...You might need to tarp one side of yer woodpile to balance the moisture content...:monkey:

Just curious, Spidey,,,and been wonderin' about yer leaning firewood.

When you was cutting that firewood,,did you cut each piece ON the Mingo mark or to the side of the Mingo mark?
,,,,,,and what color of paint did you use in yer Mingo marker?? I think it makes a difference which side of the Mingo mark you cut on,,and the color of paint.
Also, I bet if'n you used yer Moisture Meter you'd find the moisture content is higher on one end of the wood,,that's why it's leanin'...You might need to tarp one side of yer woodpile to balance the moisture content...:monkey:

i do believe,,a hoard of us,,need to descend on his place,,help him drink his liquids,,and figure out the issue,,and the resolving of his problem...................................:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Back