how much will a pickup hold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you really put 4-6k pounds of wood in the back of a 1/2 ton truck .. ?
how do you keep it from falling off the side when its stackedover the roof of the cab ?

If you have read through the thread (and it is apparent that you have not), you would see that I was talking about a 1/2 cord. My wood is seasoned so call the cord 4,000 lbs. My half ton is capable of hauling the 2,000 lbs though it is over the rated capacity.

I'm going to be selling by the truckload so I don't have to stack the wood each time. I'm going to put on a few loads and stack to see how much is on by average. I still have to split more but any guesses how much the trucks will hold?
View attachment 203783
203783d1319237110-tonkatrucks2-jpg

Excaliber, you're only as old as you feel, I did that. My kids are too old for little trucks anymore so I finally get them back. It was a joke for my sister for Thanksgiving and I just keep adding to it. I think a wood shed is next just can't decide on asphalt shingles or steel for the roof.

1/2 Cord Unless..

Pickup trucks vary in size. A typical half-ton pickup with a 6' box holds about 1/2 cord of firewood. Racked up like my Avatar shows, it will hold about 2/3 cord. A half or 3/4-ton pickup with an 8' box holds about 2/3 cord mounded. Racked up, it might reach 3/4 cord when packed almost cab high.

A one-ton "duely" with an 8' box racked up, might be able to carry one full cord. Remember that you are looking at 4,000 lb for a full cord of dry oak, 3,800 lb for a full cord of dry ash. If both are cut green, add another 900 lb. Other species, such as mulberry, hackberry, and locust weigh just as much when green, and some even weigh more due to the water. If the wood were pure water and no air was between the logs, it would weigh nearly 8,000 lb per cord.

It is really easy to overload most pickup trucks with firewood, especially unsplit green rounds.

at 1st glance I thought your duece had sunk up to the frame in the ground. "how's he going to get that out!?" I thought to myself.. yay, time for bed.

I'll throw in my 1/2 pic for fun.

img6563v.jpg

my old pickup truck used to truck as much as my wood chuck could chuck, then my woodchuck stop chucking and my truck hit a dear, so my truck don't truck the woodchucks chucks and now I use a wheel barrow.:msp_unsure:

I do this all the time... Any guesses as to how much is in there???

attachment.php

I can, because I use one of these... No tweaking, no squatting... Just pure Ford beauty...:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

C'mon Chevy and Dodge boys!!! I just threw out the bait!!! Come get some!!!:msp_wink:

Here it is! I beet you!

+1. Bet the springs are dead flat. Tires would be sitting on max load. Hit a pothole at 60 mph and good bye something.:popcorn:

Naw, it's a chevy, can hold more than that. Warning, do not try this at home if you have a ford or a dodge, severe injury or death could occur, to the truck that is!!!! LOL

+1. Bet the springs are dead flat. Tires would be sitting on max load. Hit a pothole at 60 mph and good bye something.:popcorn:

It's a one ton with overloads, the trailer is one cord to the top of the sides. What potholes around here the roads are good. except for dirt roads and then I am not going 60.

A cord measures 4ft tall, 4ft wide, and 8ft long.

A cord is more of an indication of space occupied by the stack, rather than actual wood measured.

Actual cubic foot volume of the wood in a cord is anywhere from 80-90 cu. ft., depending on species.

And Then There Is...

A cord is more of an indication of space occupied by the stack, rather than actual wood measured.

Actual cubic foot volume of the wood in a cord is anywhere from 80-90 cu. ft., depending on species.

Also, don't forget the size of the logs. The greater the mass of the logs, the more wood that will be inside the 128 cu ft. One solid block would contain the most wood per cord of space.

Then there is the stacking technique to reduce wasted air space, and that makes the problem even more complicated. To make matters worse, removing the bark first increases the BTU content of the cord. Moisture content compounds the actual heat available from the wood that we collect. In short, we are somewhat victimized by averages, but we have to use them.

Latest posts

Back