how much will a pickup hold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will someone please take a legitimate picture of a full size 8 foot PU bed stacked with a full cord of split wood just for the sake of showing people what it would have to look like. Don't try and drive anywhere with it, just take a picture. Oh you might have to put jack stands under the frame, don't want your rear bumper to sink to far down into the dirt.

If you are curious, why don't you do it and post the picture? No reason why others should have to do it for you unless your truck is not up to the task, even with jack stands.

Will someone please take a legitimate picture of a full size 8 foot PU bed stacked with a full cord of split wood just for the sake of showing people what it would have to look like. Don't try and drive anywhere with it, just take a picture. Oh you might have to put jack stands under the frame, don't want your rear bumper to sink to far down into the dirt.

===

The truck has 1 1/8 cords and the trailer has 1 1/2 cords on it
203245d1318880312-9-26-10-001-15340lbs-medium-jpg

If you are curious, why don't you do it and post the picture? No reason why others should have to do it for you unless your truck is not up to the task, even with jack stands.

There is always so much debate about this on here every year I'm just surprised no one has done it yet. I see lots of claims to putting a full cord in a 8 ft PU bed without high sides, but I'm not buying it. Besides I don't have an 8 ft bed I think my bed is only about 7 ft. Ford F150 extended cab with standard bed. When I get laid off this winter I think I will try it with a old truck at work with a 8 ft bed.

I don't have any pictures, but here's the way I see it. As I said before, my bed with the plastic liner is 64" wide (5.333') and 19" tall (1.58333'). The wheel wells are aprox 7" wide, and 10" tall. They cost me a total of 48" in lenght because they are in the way of 2 stacks of wood. That comes out to about 4 cu ft for the wheel wells. A level full bed would give me 63.555 cu ft ~ half a cord. Now, if I add a 2x10 as a bed rail that gives me an extra 9.5" Now the bed is 2.375' deep and level full it is 101 cu ft ~ .8 cord. If I stack 1 row above that (most of my wood is 6~8 " so I'll use an average of 7". That takes me to about 122 cu ft. If I lay another 4 or 5 pieces on there, I'm at a full cord. That's the math anyway. In reality, if I use a 2x10 side rail, I'll probably stack that level full. Then if it's green wood, I'll stop and call it 3/4 of a cord. If it's seasoned, I'll throw in another layer, plus one more up by the cab and call it a full cord.

The main reason that I want to put a set of rails on the truck is so that with 3/4 of a cord, I can still get 2 saws, gas, oil, toolbox, axe and maul to stay in/on the truck on the way out of the woods and going down the highway.

As far as green vs dry, until this year most of what I hauled was mostly about half seasoned. The woods was sellect logged this past year, so now I'm cutting on a lot of large tops that are completely green. This winter and next spring I'll be cutting a lot of stuff and leaving it the woods to be picked up next summer. By then it will have lost a noticable amount of weight even though it's by no means seasoned. With rails, I can stop on my way home from work and load a full cord on and still be fine. Theres so much oak to cut right now that most of it will rot before we can get it cut up for firewood so my main goal is to get it bucked so that it will start drying out rather than rotting. Given the choise of cutting and hauling one load out, or cutting 2 or 3 loads and leaving it for later, I'll choose cutting it untill thievery becomes a problem.

Last edited:
Theres no way the pic. in post 67 is a full cord of wood. Now maybe the pic. in post 51 that's more like what it would look like.

Whatever! I know, because I stacked it. 16'x 5.5' to 6' x 18 inches. Post 51 is over 1.5 cords easy. If you were selling wood, I'd buy from you, lol.

Just thought I would bring your picture over to the next page widowmaker, that's just too pretty for people to miss!

Well good looking load indeed, however truck is still only a cord of wood, nothing more nothing less. STILL very nice load of wood :clap:and the closest to claim what is actually in the truck, just a little off.

Well good looking load indeed, however truck is still only a cord of wood, nothing more nothing less. STILL very nice load of wood :clap:and the closest to claim what is actually in the truck, just a little off.

And how did you calculate that one? I'm sure everyone would love to know...

Whatever! I know, because I stacked it. 16'x 5.5' to 6' x 18 inches. Post 51 is over 1.5 cords easy. If you were selling wood, I'd buy from you, lol.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, because it looks like most of the pieces could be split one more time, but in the picture that doesn't even look like a 8 foot bed.

Just how in the heck are you able to look at that picture and tell if it's 128 cu ft or 144 cu ft? Just looking at it, it LOOKS like the side walls are around 21" tall, and IF the bed only held exactly 1/2 a cord level full, with sides that are 21" taller it will hold just under 139 cu ft. 139 is pretty darn close to 144, so just looking at a picture, I'm curious how you came up with it being only 128 cu ft? I think I'm going to throw the BS flag on this one...

And how did you calculate that one? I'm sure everyone would love to know...

Fairly simple Hedge, the guys at Ford did not make that bed any longer or taller just for one person, as I recall all 8' beds on Fords were built to the same specs when they came across the assembly line. Hence 6'widex8'longx(20/12)deep=80 cubic feet total possible space in the box level with box sides. Now subtract wheel wells about 11 inches wide 10 inches tall and 42 inches long or so and ya get 2.6736111 each now x 2=5.3472222 cubic feet so 80-5=75 cubic feet total in bed. Just over half cord total possible if you were pouring liquid, however there are variances in the box and you do not get an even 6x8x20inch load. Now in order to get full cord you would have to double the height, hence equal with the cab of the truck as seen in pictures. One full cord

I prefer to under-promise and over deliver

Just how in the heck are you able to look at that picture and tell if it's 128 cu ft or 144 cu ft? Just looking at it, it LOOKS like the side walls are around 21" tall, and IF the bed only held exactly 1/2 a cord level full, with sides that are 21" taller it will hold just under 139 cu ft. 139 is pretty darn close to 144, so just looking at a picture, I'm curious how you came up with it being only 128 cu ft? I think I'm going to throw the BS flag on this one...

Simple answer is experience. If you showed up in Montana, and I am sure many places with a load like that and charged someone for a cord and an 1/8, they would simply refuse the load or tell you you are full of bs. Long answer is the math supports what I am saying.

Fairly simple Hedge, the guys at Ford did not make that bed any longer or taller just for one person, as I recall all 8' beds on Fords were built to the same specs when they came across the assembly line. Hence 6'widex8'longx(20/12)deep=80 cubic feet total possible space in the box level with box sides. Now subtract wheel wells about 11 inches wide 10 inches tall and 42 inches long or so and ya get 2.6736111 each now x 2=5.3472222 cubic feet so 80-5=75 cubic feet total in bed. Just over half cord total possible if you were pouring liquid, however there are variances in the box and you do not get an even 6x8x20inch load. Now in order to get full cord you would have to double the height, hence equal with the cab of the truck as seen in pictures. One full cord

I prefer to under-promise and over deliver

75 ft (bed - wheel wells) + 80 cu ft (rack without wheel wells) = 155 cubic feet = you are getting in over your head... Just sayin...
:confident:

You wanna start measuring the air between his splits too???
Is it that hard to say, "oops, my bad"???

75 ft (bed - wheel wells) + 80 cu ft (rack without wheel wells) = 155 cubic feet = you are getting in over your head... Just sayin...
:confident:

You wanna start measuring the air between his splits too???
Is it that hard to say, "oops, my bad"???

The point I am making is none of these beds are built like a box with square corners and straight sides. Take your tape measure outside and open the tailgate on your ford. Now measure between the insides of your stake pockets and tell me what you come up with. Unless I miss my guess its several inches sort of 6'. The box has variances it not straight or flat. Most boxes are actually an inch or so short of 6' at the furthest distance wide. In order to make sure a full cord you have to stack clear to the top of the cab and level. Thats why even in your pics of your ford loaded its about 3/4 of a cord maybe a touch more but no where near a full cord of wood.

Furthermore I believe a cord of wood used to be considered in the 16" round, 4x4x8 not split and neatly stacked because you end up with far less wood when its split. Nowa days it is common practice to call it a cord of wood split due to the extra effort involved in splitting and most people now want their wood split for them when in the old days they did it themselves.

Simple answer is experience. If you showed up in Montana, and I am sure many places with a load like that and charged someone for a cord and an 1/8, they would simply refuse the load or tell you you are full of bs. Long answer is the math supports what I am saying.

==

Well in Montana and them many other places they would be missing the boat.
That is my 1 cord delivered load and I tell all my customers that if it stacks out to less the cord to call me and i deliver another load just like that for free to make up the shortage, never got a call yet...

The point I am making is none of these beds are built like a box with square corners and straight sides. Take your tape measure outside and open the tailgate on your ford. Now measure between the insides of your stake pockets and tell me what you come up with. Unless I miss my guess its several inches sort of 6'. The box has variances it not straight or flat. Most boxes are actually an inch or so short of 6' at the furthest distance wide. In order to make sure a full cord you have to stack clear to the top of the cab and level. Thats why even in your pics of your ford loaded its about 3/4 of a cord maybe a touch more but no where near a full cord of wood.

Furthermore I believe a cord of wood used to be considered in the 16" round, 4x4x8 not split and neatly stacked because you end up with far less wood when its split. Nowa days it is common practice to call it a cord of wood split due to the extra effort involved in splitting and most people now want their wood split for them when in the old days they did it themselves.

So the answer is... "yes"... You want to measure the air between his splits... Got it... :msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back