how much will a pickup hold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
==

Well in Montana and them many other places they would be missing the boat.
That is my 1 cord delivered load and I tell all my customers that if it stacks out to less the cord to call me and i deliver another load just like that for free to make up the shortage, never got a call yet...

Probably not they probably wouldn't burn a load in Washington in three years! Does it even get cold there? I didn't think so!! Like I said go out to your ford measure the inside distance between box sides, and you height of them there racks from the floor of the box to the top please post results.

Last edited:
+1

The officials have reviewed the call, and the BS ruleing still stands.

Out of curiosity, how cold does it get in central washington?

==

We generally get a week to 10 days of below 0* temps each winter, along with a foot to foot and a half of snow, times more, times less. Heating season and and often does last for 7 months...I have been burning for 1 1/2 wks at night...We've having a beautiful fall, sunny warm days, 60+* and cool nights, high 30's.
Last winter I burn about 10 cords in a 2000 sq ft, not so well insulated, Lopi Endeavor heated, home...

Well, you've sure got IN beat. Last week it was in the 80s here. This week we are finally dropping down into the high 30s at night. Maybe as low as 32 tomorrow. I didn't get any soft wood cut last year, so I'm probably not going to start burning until late Nov or even Dec.

The point I am making is none of these beds are built like a box with square corners and straight sides. Take your tape measure outside and open the tailgate on your ford. Now measure between the insides of your stake pockets and tell me what you come up with. Unless I miss my guess its several inches sort of 6'. The box has variances it not straight or flat. Most boxes are actually an inch or so short of 6' at the furthest distance wide. In order to make sure a full cord you have to stack clear to the top of the cab and level. Thats why even in your pics of your ford loaded its about 3/4 of a cord maybe a touch more but no where near a full cord of wood.

Furthermore I believe a cord of wood used to be considered in the 16" round, 4x4x8 not split and neatly stacked because you end up with far less wood when its split. Nowa days it is common practice to call it a cord of wood split due to the extra effort involved in splitting and most people now want their wood split for them when in the old days they did it themselves.

Actually, unless beds have changed since the mid 90s, no place in them will measure 6'. Best you can get is just over 5 1/2'. I just measured mine as 64" between the side rails.

Harry K

I've found from my years of experience that most pickup beds will carry quite a lot of firewood, but still not enough.

This leads to buying bigger pickups, then trucks, then bigger trucks, then wishing you had something small that would fit down that driveway. You get something small and find it doesnt hold enough.

At the moment I've got a 4 tonne truck with an 11 cubic yard tipping bin on the back. The most I've had in it was a measured at the weighbridge 6.5tonnes of oak. The bin was nowhere near full, but the engine was nearly resting on the steering tie rod. Had to restack it twice just so it would go round corners.

On bigger jobs I get my buddy in with his 23cubic yard truck. I wish I had a truck that big, but he wishes he had a 40 cube.

Shaun

I fit a full cord neatly stacked (and slightly mounded) in my Silverado 1500 and my cousin's F-150. Both have a 6.5' bed.
I know a person who thinks that too! He is also on his 3rd rear window and wonders why he can't keep tires on his truck.

I've found from my years of experience that most pickup beds will carry quite a lot of firewood, but still not enough.

This leads to buying bigger pickups, then trucks, then bigger trucks, then wishing you had something small that would fit down that driveway. You get something small and find it doesnt hold enough.

At the moment I've got a 4 tonne truck with an 11 cubic yard tipping bin on the back. The most I've had in it was a measured at the weighbridge 6.5tonnes of oak. The bin was nowhere near full, but the engine was nearly resting on the steering tie rod. Had to restack it twice just so it would go round corners.

On bigger jobs I get my buddy in with his 23cubic yard truck. I wish I had a truck that big, but he wishes he had a 40 cube.
After years of trial and error and experimenting a 1 ton dump works the best for us. Our 2 ton is ok but in tight situations the 1 ton works the best delivering a full cord and dumping it. We can stack tightly a full cord in the 1 ton drop the gate and go. Cheaper to license, insure, and operate. Also easier on driveways, yards, and loading by hand.

Actually, unless beds have changed since the mid 90s, no place in them will measure 6'. Best you can get is just over 5 1/2'. I just measured mine as 64" between the side rails.

Harry K

Exactly my point!!! :cheers:That is why I asked them to go measure the distance between the inside of the stake pockets to the inside of the opposite stake pocket. As you can see you are the only one with a tape-measure! :msp_scared:LOL. I was being generous by saying six feet wide. You have to stack to the top of the pickup's cab on an 8' bed to have a full cord and have it as wide as the box is, even then might be a touch less than a full cord but you would be really close, and just for good measure throw in extra!

I guess by some peoples measuring this is just over 4 cords of wood then! Guess I am going to have to jack my prices way up, Not.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

110,000 on my Silverado. Never broke a window, second set of tires, original leaf springs.

do you really put 4-6k pounds of wood in the back of a 1/2 ton truck .. ?
how do you keep it from falling off the side when its stackedover the roof of the cab ?

Shaun

Last time I sold wood it was to a guy with a 3/4 crew cab. He was supposed to take 3/4 cord Willow (well cured) plus a small stack of red elm. Dunno how he did it but from the looks of my yeard when he left he had on a full cord of willow plus that small stack of elm plus more elm from a 'green stack'. Wife said the pickup was heaped up above the racks (5' to top of racks). Heard later from heim (when I demanded double the money) that he had loaded the willow and then the ash on the back end. Said he had a hell of a time on his 60 mile haul.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back