how much will a pickup hold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well how much you can haul depends on what kind of pickup you have. You got a ford 1 ton better not do much more than 1/3 to half cord or your bumper will be dragging and you will be replacing parts in short order like springs. A Dodge with a regular stock bed on it not very much or you will split the stock bed in half the sides just won't hold up for very much weight, plus they ride so rough your going to need a kidney belt. Now you have a chevy you will run out of room to load it up before you ever hurt anything. You can put 2 cords in back of a half ton chevy if you have sides! When my son gets off my computer I will try to find the pics of it. And you also need good tires!! Hell you could fully load a Ford up with wood then drive it in back of my old chevy and never see it squat any!!!

I have a crew cab truck with a 5 foot 8 bed and I can easily fit a face cord(16 inches) in there. It works out to be about 3 rows across with a little mounding so that in the middle there are a few pieces above the side wall. Then a few pieces between the last row and the tail gate to finish it off.

Since a face cord is 1/3 a cord that works out to be about 10% of a cord per row across. So with a 6' 6" be I would think you would be able to fit another row across than my bed and end up with a total of 4 rows. Which would means something like 40% of a cord in one load.

Well how much you can haul depends on what kind of pickup you have. You got a ford 1 ton better not do much more than 1/3 to half cord or your bumper will be dragging and you will be replacing parts in short order like springs. A Dodge with a regular stock bed on it not very much or you will split the stock bed in half the sides just won't hold up for very much weight, plus they ride so rough your going to need a kidney belt. Now you have a chevy you will run out of room to load it up before you ever hurt anything. You can put 2 cords in back of a half ton chevy if you have sides! When my son gets off my computer I will try to find the pics of it. And you also need good tires!! Hell you could fully load a Ford up with wood then drive it in back of my old chevy and never see it squat any!!!

Yeap that's a chevy in the picture. 3/4 ton with full floating axles and a diesel engine. Whether it's wood chips or wood it fills up before I really worry about weight.

i was wondering where a s##tload falls into the rick-rack-pile-face-full- bundle-bunch-armfull-load -stack-???im so cornfused jk i once had to tow a chevy 1500[ with 2 full cords init]out of the fantasy forest ,with my lawn tractor boy that was a good day

Everytime I load my full size dodge with rounds it measures out at almost exactly one full cord once I split and stack it. I dont stack in the truck just tossed in and not any higher than the cab and usually a bit lower if anything. My last load from last weekend measured out at 12'x8'x16", after I split an stacked it tightly. I could have put a fair amount more in the truck too!

There's an actual iPhone app for this: Cord of Wood

[video=youtube;GnXyQUmtvY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnXyQUmtvY0[/video]

air bags

What costs more? A new set of leaf springs or just make 2 trips??

I put a set of airbags on my truck 2000lb rated. I can put a cord+ in my trailer and over a half a cord in my bed and still have no problem squatting the springs on my half ton. All oak also. I installed them myself and the kit cost 200 bucks

Well I have a couple different ford trucks, My 97 4x4 with 18" sides will haul a cord if stacked to the top. But the ball hitch will only be a couple inches off the ground. So we try to only haul three size loads in that truck. 1 rick, 2,ricks and 1/2 cords. Even 2 ricks is overloading the truck and it has a tweak in the frame from hauling and towing to much wieght.

My 1 ton can haul up to 1-1/2 cords.

And the standard 1/2 ford with 8 foot bed is a rick to half cord.

Just Depends on how hard You want to work the truck.

I only run 10ply tires on the top two

that is horse pucky, or you have no idea what a cord is. A cord measures 4ft tall, 4ft wide, and 8ft long.Lets just say you dropped a cord in the bed on its side.It would stick 2 feet out the back, fill the bed from rail to rail, and be 4ft tall.

I know exactly what a cord is, do you? You might want to recheck your math. A pickup box is about 5' wide x 6.5' long x 2' deep. That's 65 cubic feet. On Ford's website, under specs, it says that the truck will hold exactly 65.5 cubic feet. Multiply that by two trucks and you get over 130 cubic feet. A cord is 4x4x8 which is 128 cubic feet.

I have had more than a cord on this truck, just a partial load here.

2890904670097493054S600x600Q85.jpg

I just ordered new springs for my 79 ford f250. It has 5leaf pack overloads but the originals are starting to flatten a bit. So new 2750lb rated springs , each side, from bronco graveyard and maybe some firestone bags to replace the overload springs. That and a single link anti axle wrap kit from ruffstuff , that all being said, with the stake side a cord is no issue with and 8ft bed.

. Even 2 ricks is overloading the truck and it has a tweak in the frame from hauling and towing to much wieght.

I think my Dad overloaded his 1952 Willys once or twice - as he also had a tweak in the frame. Driving down the road, empty bed, at about 40-45 mph you'd have to give the steering wheel a couple of jerks left/right to get the box to shinny in sequence with the cab...... interesting when you had the plow on the front. :)

We had a lot of fun with that truck. It's end-of-days it had us hauling a 5 gallon gas can in the bed with a gas line running from there to feed the engine. :rolleyes2:

Shari

I fit a full cord neatly stacked (and slightly mounded) in my Silverado 1500 and my cousin's F-150. Both have a 6.5' bed.

I hate to sound like the badger, but no way will your truck hold a FULL cord... Not even close...
:sure::sure:

But put them together, and yes...:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back