how much will a pickup hold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frankly, the only effective measurement is the one the customer wants to pay for. Rick, Tom, Harry, string, cord, note, elbow rick, whatever. Call it what you like as long as you can call it sold, time and time again.
Here, it's m3 (cubic metres) thrown or m3 stacked, but if calling it a "Winter busting hot-mix cord" does the trick, then that's what it is. It's the Wild South here - there ain't no law prescribing the legal measurements, primarily, I suspect, because Kiwi's are so tight, we shop around and educate ourselves enough to make sure we aren't getting ripped off...by much.

I do this all the time... Any guesses as to how much is in there???

attachment.php

I can, because I use one of these... No tweaking, no squatting... Just pure Ford beauty...:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

C'mon Chevy and Dodge boys!!! I just threw out the bait!!! Come get some!!!:msp_wink:

Last edited:
You mean it runs??? Cool!!!
:msp_biggrin:

I hope so, the last time out I had a bit of an engine fire and have not had time to fool with it. By the way, I have new fenders and a new door for it. You may not be able to tell in the pictures, but the center rack section swings out for loading/unloading.

Sorry Vortec, you are correct... I read the post wrong... I should read twice, post once...

No problem. Even if I could fit a whole cord in a half ton, my bumper would be on the ground. My truck squats pretty good with just a half cord of bone dry wood.

This much!

load.jpg

:hmm3grin2orange:

I figure that's a little less than a 1/4 of a cord. I lose a lot of bed space because of my fuel tank/toolbox-it weighs about 450lbs full too, so that combined with a full load of wet oak makes for some sagging rear springs-even on a one ton.

i was wondering where a s##tload falls into the rick-rack-pile-face-full- bundle-bunch-armfull-load -stack-???im so cornfused jk i once had to tow a chevy 1500[ with 2 full cords init]out of the fantasy forest ,with my lawn tractor boy that was a good day

Well this was no fantasy!!!
attachment.php

Better make sure your lawn tractor has its bowl of Weaties ITS GONNA NEED IT! lol

Well this was no fantasy!!!
attachment.php

Better make sure your lawn tractor has its bowl of Weaties ITS GONNA NEED IT! lol

If that was Hedge in that trailer, you'd never got it full... Woulda drove those tires right in the ground... Like the idea though...

I do this all the time... Any guesses as to how much is in there???

attachment.php

I can, because I use one of these... No tweaking, no squatting... Just pure Ford beauty...:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

C'mon Chevy and Dodge boys!!! I just threw out the bait!!! Come get some!!!:msp_wink:

A pile? My real guess would be about 3/4 cord neatly stacked

Harry K

If that was Hedge in that trailer, you'd never got it full... Woulda drove those tires right in the ground... Like the idea though...

I don't think you'd be driving anything into that ground unless you have one serious jack hammer... Looks to be hard as a rock and ten times as cold. My favorite weather to be out cutting in :) That wood looks pretty dry which helps. Even still, that's a pretty good load.

I drive a '93 ext cab F250 4x4 SRW with a 7.3L IDI diesel and a plastic bed liner. I've measured the bed and it's 19" deep. My rear axle is rated for over 6,000 lbs, and the tires are rated for almost 3500 each. I stack 23" long rounds/splits neatly into the bed, and as high as I can get it without them rolling off the sides on the way out of the farm. It's generally up to the top of the rear window and I usually average about 3/4 of a cord. Sometimes I luck out and the pieces on the outsides line up just right where I can safely stack it a little higher. That basically gives me another layer that's about 7" tall x 60" x 96" and I probably get real about 7/8 of cord. I need to build a set of rails to go into the stakes so that it will keep the wood from rolling out so easy. 3/4 of a cord leaves me about 1 1/2" before the bed is down onto the axle. I haven't checked, the bigger loads are probably awfully close to sitting on the axle, and that's as far as I will go with it. If I ever get around to building a set of rails for it, I'll build it to hold a 3/4 cord when its level full so that I have a visual indicator of when I need to stop. It would also make it a lot easier finding a good place for the saws to fit :) This year I've been cutting rather large green oak tops (80% white 20% red) that were logged last winter through this summer. If I'm hauling wood that has seasoned over the summer, I don't even think twice about weight. In the winter, I stack a row of next years firewood across the back of the bed. It sticks up abotu 6"~8" over the tail gate. Its just enough to make the truck ride smooth. :)

I've noticed that newer trucks look to have a deeper box, and I think that the rear axle dad's 06 F150 is rated for almost as much as mine.

Last edited:
Another important factor is tires. Pay close attention the maximum load (and correct pressure) on those sidewalls. I always go with "E's". A blowout with a bed full of wood at 55 mph could be ugly!

I don't think you'd be driving anything into that ground unless you have one serious jack hammer... Looks to be hard as a rock and ten times as cold. My favorite weather to be out cutting in :) That wood looks pretty dry which helps. Even still, that's a pretty good load.

Yeah I remember that day about 25 below and 15 to 20mph wind and me and the gf unloaded and stacked all that wood in it.

Latest posts

Back