how much wood you think

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tybedard

hold my beer n watch this
Reaction score
I have 8 cords CSS of cherry maple white birch yellow birch black birch poplar and bass wood the house is 1500 sq feet r-13 insulation stove is a hotblast with twin blowers removed and a normal furnace fan installed burned 7 cords last year and ran short about a month and a half before winter was over last winter the down stairs had 0 insulation it is insulated now house is in northern pa

If you insulated and added an extra cord, you certainly should be closer to having enough to last all winter.

The winters are so unpredictable. Plan for the worst. Always be on the look out for more wood. I am working towards getting back to 2 years ahead. I have what I think is about 1 and 2/3 years of wood. But one super nasty winter and that could all be gone. Long story short. There is no such thing as enough wood.

Potato really ? That was very helpful. I work 8 to 5 and my wife works night shift while I watch the kids so on the weekends I go and get at least two truck loads and split and stack just hard finding it out in the woods were your allowed to cut with your permit sometimes

Potato really ? That was very helpful.

Honestly without info such as model of Hotblast, layout of your home(vaulted ceilings? open floor plan?), proportions of the wood types listed(broad range of btu levels there), and amount of time the wood has been CSS I thought I gave a very honest answer. Maybe not helpful, but just as obvious as "you'll make it further than last year" or "you can never have enough wood". Plus nobody was chiming in so I gave you a free bump to the top. Typically threads that start like yours slide off page one quickly.

True. Ceiling are all 8 foot its a hot blast 1557m most of the wood is cherry maple and birch all were dead laying logs from were logging was done no live trees the house is not an open floor plan two heat pipes down stairs and one going to second floor in middle of hallway with a fan to circulate the heat around I get the wood every weekend and split and stack same day been cutting it since end of this spring

I have a friend with the same furnace. His house is similar in size but not layout and his basement is un-insulated. He's not very good at keeping track of wood usage but I watched how quickly he went through it. Those things seem HUNGRY to me, but they put out a lot of heat. Knowing that and also that the wood you have is probably not fully seasoned I would want at least ten cord to feel comfortable. If you have access to any, ash would be a great species to concentrate on due to its low moisture content and likleyhood of being standing dead from the EAB.

Welll... I have about the same size house and I burn about 3-3.5 cords a year.
They are saying this year will be a warm winter just like last year. I barely burned 2 cords last year... I could have cut my grass in January!

It was not warm here in northern pa from all the lake effect snow and the weeks of -30 wind chill it was the coldest harshest winter in a long time

The hotblast came with the house it does push good heat now that I modified it to run a normal full size furnace fan but it does go threw a firebox full of wood fairly quickly unless you pack it tight with large peaces and crank the draft dang near closed

Last year temp around mid January

Attachments

• 20150114_083930.jpg
    20150114_083930.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 37
It was not warm here in northern pa from all the lake effect snow and the weeks of -30 wind chill it was the coldest harshest winter in a long time

I've never really figured wind chill on real temps. When it's -10* wirh 70mph gusts, what's that for a temp?

I've never really figured wind chill on real temps. When it's -10* wirh 70mph gusts, what's that for a temp?

Huge difference in -10* and still, compared to -10* and wicked windy. On the heat load and the body if outside.

Back