How much work does it take for you saws to be junk?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorcw

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just curious what other people think itll take to bring down a saw to that "junk" name. For me on smaller saws its crank work bigger saws its major tank and handle body damage ( like someone running it over).

It would depend on the saw, it's ultimate availability or resale value. If it's replacement is a lot of money and I can source used parts with my labor, I'll put the time into a saw. If my SuperXL died, I'd sell it or give it away for parts. I can find another nice one for $40-50, but with my 261, I really don't have a lot of use for it, other than it sounds cool and I like running it. If it were my 066, different deal. A decent 066 costs some money, so I'd put a lot more time and money into that saw.

It all depends.

For myself, as long as the price of all the parts i need don't cost more that a new one of the same model but even then once i start a project i normally just finish it regardless. I do, however, am pretty picky when i comes to project.

Price / availability Toss in if they are cheap enough to fabricated as well.

Just curious what other people think itll take to bring down a saw to that "junk" name. For me on smaller saws its crank work bigger saws its major tank and handle body damage ( like someone running it over).

If its a poulan, usually 10 minutes of use will bring it down to junk.:)

I don't know what your idea of junk is. I've got one 028wb that's going to be 34 years old this year. I freshened the top end with a new piston and rings one time in 33 years and it goes to the woods with us every time we go. So is it junk or a good old dependable saw.

Also have saws built in the 50's and would not be scared to take any one of them to the bushes and work um all day. So they have bucu hours on um but when do you classify them as junk. This is a broad spectrum question with no real answer in my opinion. Some of my junk just goes to show you if you take care of um they'll last a long time.

Just curious if anyone would put a crank in a saw
I've done quite a few: couple of 372's an 028, TS400, MS460, MS660, KTM 300EXC, small block Chevy etc. I usually look to see if its economically worth doing, if I can do it and sell the thing (or keep it for myself!) and get paid for my time, then why not?:)

Latest posts

Back