How not to cut a tree down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainewoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Thought maybe a thread with "how not to" vids and pics might help get the point across to those less experienced in tree felling. I did not realize so many people had such little regard for safety and lack of common sense, until I saw some actual examples.

Really? :msp_scared: That's so crazy, I wonder if it's a photoshop creation! If it's real, we can only hope that idiot hasn't bred ...:msp_biggrin:

The problem with Murph's video, Phil, is that it gives the impression that cutting from a ladder is ever a good idea. Jeff

I have heard that comment from others. I tell people to watch the first half, then shut it off. Maybe he can post an edited version just showing the 'Why Not' parts (and include this clip as well)?

Philbert

A few years ago, a teacher wanted to give us a demonstration. He managed to cut three rungs of the ladder with a 020T :laugh:

I have heard that comment from others. I tell people to watch the first half, then shut it off. Maybe he can post an edited version just showing the 'Why Not' parts (and include this clip as well)?

Philbert

That clip was in there, and try telling murph anything. The golden rule is simply this: if a chainsaw is running, and the operator's feet aren't both on the ground, it needs to be a climber running it, and they need to be tied into the tree. Twice. Those are the rules, and they are written in blood, to steal a line from Asplundh's training manual. I have finished way too many jobs as the homeowner paid me to do it as he sat there laid up, off of work, because ego or budget got in the way. Taking two weeks off work and having to pay me to finish the job didn't help his wallet, and hobbling around on crutches, or worse, didn't really make him look like the neighborhood hero he thought he was gonna be, either. There's a difference between getting away with something once or twice, and it being a good idea. Tailgate enough cars, and I'll promise you you'll get to feel an airbag. Maybe not the first time, or even the twentieth, but it'll happen. Jeff

FYI...we are NOT kin.

My bosses' husband fell 6' while trimming a palm. He broke both wrist, ribs, and his pelvis. Can you imagine life with two casts, broken ribs, and a broken pelvis:msp_scared::msp_scared::msp_scared:.

FYI...we are NOT kin.

My bosses' husband fell 6' while trimming a palm. He broke both wrist, ribs, and his pelvis. Can you imagine life with two casts, broken ribs, and a broken pelvis:msp_scared::msp_scared::msp_scared:.

yea,,,,, no sheep humping for a long while

FYI...we are NOT kin.

I knew of a climber that was just going up 6', so he didn't bother tying in. Slipped and fell. Only problem was when he landed, he landed on his saw in the middle of his back( not running ) . Parapalegic now. There is no "safe" height off the ground, especially when power tools are involved. I will occasionally use ladders for access to a tree if it is an awkward spot to get to, but once I am in position the ladder goes away, and I am tied in two ways before the saw fires up. Same way with roofs. If I am off the ground, I am tied in.

My best friend flies for Frontier, and used to be a bush pilot in Alaska. He still has a float plane in Fairbanks, and took me up there for a visit one June. One evening we took the float plane up to a lake about a half hour north of town, and fished for an hour or so, caught about ten monster pike, and decided to head back. He did a full preflight on the plane, right out there in the middle of the lake (we were fishing off the pontoons, it was badass). I asked if he did that every time. He looked at me and said, " yup, every single time. " That moment always stayed with me. Jeff

I'm kinda hoping that one of these posts or video's will "stay" with someone also, and prevent them from making a mistake they may regret for the rest of their lives.

Yeah, I mean you weren't supposed to do that. But hey, ya got away with it. You probably could again. A lot of those guys on those youtube videos had probably done it before. I'm just sayin' there's a difference between getting away with it and doing it the right way. The old climber's joke is the last thing a homeowner wants to hear right before the saw fires up is,"well, let's see how this works out." Btw, what's with the ladder? That tree was a ladder. Jeff

I cut part way, then long rope to come-a-long, hooked to truck. I was not up there when it went.

Yeah, I mean you weren't supposed to do that. But hey, ya got away with it. You probably could again. A lot of those guys on those youtube videos had probably done it before. I'm just sayin' there's a difference between getting away with it and doing it the right way. The old climber's joke is the last thing a homeowner wants to hear right before the saw fires up is,"well, let's see how this works out." Btw, what's with the ladder? That tree was a ladder. Jeff

Really too old to climb by limb any more. Everything needed to be just right, or no go.

Latest posts

Back