How not to cut a tree down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut part way, then long rope to come-a-long, hooked to truck. I was not up there when it went.

So congrats, you pulled it off. The original point of this thread was highlighting the dangers of using a chainsaw off of a ladder. If we were playing poker( and that's really what this thread is about, people gambling their lives off a ladder with a running chainsaw) , I would see your one pic of a job gone right and raise you a thousand youtube videos of guys who didn't make it. Let me ask you, if I showed up at your house to cut down your tree with a ladder, a chainsaw and a comealong, would you pay me?

So congrats, you pulled it off. The original point of this thread was highlighting the dangers of using a chainsaw off of a ladder. If we were playing poker( and that's really what this thread is about, people gambling their lives off a ladder with a running chainsaw) , I would see your one pic of a job gone right and raise you a thousand youtube videos of guys who didn't make it. Let me ask you, if I showed up at your house to cut down your tree with a ladder, a chainsaw and a comealong, would you pay me?

Heck no, that's why I did it. The problem with the fella in the video is he was not thinking. To do any project you need to think it out, then proceed.

Heck no, that's why I did it. The problem with the fella in the video is he was not thinking. To do any project you need to think it out, then proceed.

So basically, what you just said was that if a professional showed up to do it the same way you did, you would show them the door. I think you have just insulted yourself.

I think the point being made here though is that no matter how much thinking and planning you've put into a tree job; it s impossible to be safe running a chainsaw from a ladder. It's simply a gamble that you won, but its only a matter of time before you lose and end up injured.

I think the point being made here though is that no matter how much thinking and planning you've put into a tree job; it s impossible to be safe running a chainsaw from a ladder. It's simply a gamble that you won, but its only a matter of time before you lose and end up injured.

Pretty much. Nicely done. Jeff

That was actually pretty good.

I have a tendency to get lost in the details, but yes, this is about as true as it gets.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Probbly, til' it comes up again.

It's important.

Stay away from ladders.

I'm gonna go check on momma.

Stay away from ladders

Jeff

The comment about the pilot struck home with me. My Father was a pilot, he has a simple outlook on life and has passed on some gems of wisdom - the one that fits here is "If you f**k up, you're dead. So don't f**k up".

We've all had those moments in life, driving, using saws, I occasionally use very toxic chemicals. Do it right, or don't do it at all.
Depending upon your religious persuasion you only get one go at this, so to steal a muslim saying "Trust in Allah, but tie your camel"

Operating a chainsaw from a ladder is only the tip of the iceberg. The stories and actual video's indicating the complete disregard of safety and lack of common sense practices are, to say the least, disturbing. I would like to think that our experiences and advice would be something that may save another individual from serious harm, of themselves and friends who are trying to be helpful. Most people mean well, and many of them look to AS for the knowledge that we possess. I think it is as important as anything we offer on this site.

The comment about the pilot struck home with me. My Father was a pilot, he has a simple outlook on life and has passed on some gems of wisdom - the one that fits here is "If you f**k up, you're dead. So don't f**k up".

We've all had those moments in life, driving, using saws, I occasionally use very toxic chemicals. Do it right, or don't do it at all.
Depending upon your religious persuasion you only get one go at this, so to steal a muslim saying "Trust in Allah, but tie your camel"

Thought this was all I had to say about that, 'til you brought my best friend Wayne up again. Tree work and flying have one thing in common, they both deal with gravity. There are no do overs with gravity. If you #### up the tile in your bathroom, you can rip out and do it over again. You can't reland a plane, and you can't undo a cut. If you aren't 100%, please don't make that cut. Jeff

My best friend flies for Frontier, and used to be a bush pilot in Alaska. He still has a float plane in Fairbanks, and took me up there for a visit one June. One evening we took the float plane up to a lake about a half hour north of town, and fished for an hour or so, caught about ten monster pike, and decided to head back. Jeff

Minto Flats? Great place for Pike. Smart pilot.

Ladders are very tempting. Especially when climbing gear costs $1000 and lessons take time. The limb is only right there, and at most I'll only be on the third or 4th rung.

Ladders are very tempting. Especially when climbing gear costs $1000 and lessons take time. The limb is only right there, and at most I'll only be on the third or 4th rung.

Yup- you nailed it.:msp_thumbup:

Yes! Minto Flats!!! And yes, the fact that we had only flown for a half hour there and spent an hour fishing was probably tempting too... but he still followed the rules... and even that third or fourth rung is enough to change your life forever. Ya'll are gonna do what ya'll are gonna do. I'm just gonna say when you take a saw into the tree, everything changes, and enough "pros" get hurt doing it. Stay safe, Jeff

A guy I know (don't good stories all start like that), about 2 weeks ago took his 20ft ladder extended it all the way out climbed to the very top to cut off a limb. The ladder was only above the limb around 6 inches. He cut part of the limb off, the rest of the limb went up, above the ladder and he came down. Broke his right arm in 2 spots, broke a couple of ribs, and knocked him out cold. Doc says it will be at least 6 weeks to get back in shape.

that sucks.

So basically, what you just said was that if a professional showed up to do it the same way you did, you would show them the door. I think you have just insulted yourself.

What I meant is. I would not pay to have my 55 ft hemlock cut down by some one even with a bucket truck. I am fully capable of cutting down a tree I chose to cut, see the proof. And it was safe, I was 60 ft away when it came down.

What I meant is. I would not pay to have my 55 ft hemlock cut down by some one even with a bucket truck. I am fully capable of cutting down a tree I chose to cut, see the proof. And it was safe, I was 60 ft away when it came down.

Well, you've got one thing in common with all those guys on that video, they all thought they were fully capable, too. All it proves is you got the tree down. It doesn't prove you did it safely. A guy sticks a round in the cylinder, gives a spin, points it at his head and pull the trigger and hears a click.that doesn't prove Russian roulette is safe, it just proves there wasn't a round in that chamber.

A guy I know (don't good stories all start like that), about 2 weeks ago took his 20ft ladder extended it all the way out climbed to the very top to cut off a limb. The ladder was only above the limb around 6 inches. He cut part of the limb off, the rest of the limb went up, above the ladder and he came down. Broke his right arm in 2 spots, broke a couple of ribs, and knocked him out cold. Doc says it will be at least 6 weeks to get back in shape.

that sucks.

But look at the money he saved by doing it himself!

Back